Old 12-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Default User

Default Ubuntu 9.10 display aspect ratio question

Hello!

I am running a new install of Ubuntu 9.10. It is (supposedly) the 32-bit
i386 version, but I am using it on a laptop with a 64-bit Intel Celeron
900 processor. (Yeah, I know, but that's another story.)

The machine has an LCD display. Unfortuately it is wide-screen (16:9
aspect rato). It seems to have an Intel "Graphics Media Accelerator"
display chipset built in, I think it might be "WXVGA" (not sure).
Currently the display is set to:

1366 x 768, 16:9 ratio, at 60 Hz

also available is:

1360 x 768, 16:9 ratio, at 60 Hz

also:

1024 x 768, 4:3 ratio, 60, 70, 75, or 85 Hz

and lower resolutions, too "zoomed in" to be useful.

1366 x 768, 16:9 ratio, 60 Hz

If I choose 1366 x 768 or 1300 x 768, the image displayed is so small
it hurts my eyes, and I get a headache. My eyes really need 1024 x 768.
But if I choose that, the display image is stretched (distorted) to fill
the width of the screen. Ugh!

What I really would like to have is 1024 x 768, 4:3 ratio, UNSTRETCHED.
And centered, so it uses the full screen height, but fills in the
undisplayed areas to the left and right of the image with empty black
space.

Is that too much to ask for?

In the past, I might have been able to fiddle with an xorg.conf file.
Unfortunately, there is neither an xorg.conf nor an xorg.conf file to be
found (apparently those are no longer used). After doing some research,
I think it would be better to ask before doing, instead of after.

So can this be done? If so, how? An what technical information about
the computer would be helpful to analyze the situation?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Steve

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 20:53:06 -0000, Default User <xyzzyx@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am running a new install of Ubuntu 9.10. It is (supposedly) the 32-bit
> i386 version, but I am using it on a laptop with a 64-bit Intel Celeron
> 900 processor. (Yeah, I know, but that's another story.)
>
> The machine has an LCD display. Unfortuately it is wide-screen (16:9
> aspect rato). It seems to have an Intel "Graphics Media Accelerator"
> display chipset built in, I think it might be "WXVGA" (not sure).
> Currently the display is set to:
>
> 1366 x 768, 16:9 ratio, at 60 Hz
>
> also available is:
>
> 1360 x 768, 16:9 ratio, at 60 Hz
>
> also:
>
> 1024 x 768, 4:3 ratio, 60, 70, 75, or 85 Hz
>
> and lower resolutions, too "zoomed in" to be useful.
>
> 1366 x 768, 16:9 ratio, 60 Hz
>

> If I choose 1366 x 768 or 1300 x 768, the image displayed is so small
> it hurts my eyes, and I get a headache. My eyes really need 1024 x 768.
> But if I choose that, the display image is stretched (distorted) to fill
> the width of the screen. Ugh!
>
> What I really would like to have is 1024 x 768, 4:3 ratio, UNSTRETCHED.
> And centred, so it uses the full screen height, but fills in the
> undisplayed areas to the left and right of the image with empty black
> space.
>
> Is that too much to ask for?
>
> In the past, I might have been able to fiddle with an xorg.conf file.
> Unfortunately, there is neither an xorg.conf nor an xorg.conf file to be
> found (apparently those are no longer used). After doing some research,
> I think it would be better to ask before doing, instead of after.
>
> So can this be done? If so, how? An what technical information about
> the computer would be helpful to analyse the situation?
>
> Thanks in advance for any input.

LCD displays really need to be run at their native resolution, any thing
else distorts the display as you’ve seen.
I would go to System > Preferences > Appearance and play bout with the
themes, fonts and rendering until you find some thing satisfactory.

--
Steve

Old 12-07-2009, 08:34 PM
R Kimber

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 14:53:06 -0600
Default User wrote:

> In the past, I might have been able to fiddle with an xorg.conf file.
> Unfortunately, there is neither an xorg.conf nor an xorg.conf file to be
> found (apparently those are no longer used). After doing some research,

I think I read previously in the list that you can still create your own.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 12-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Steve

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:34:30 -0000, R Kimber
<richardkimber@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 14:53:06 -0600
> Default User wrote:
>
>> In the past, I might have been able to fiddle with an xorg.conf file.
>> Unfortunately, there is neither an xorg.conf nor an xorg.conf file to be
>> found (apparently those are no longer used). After doing some research,
>
> I think I read previously in the list that you can still create your own.
>
> - Richard.

You can create your own xorg.conf but, I don’t think you can make it
'ignore' part of a wide ascreen to create a 4:3 display.

--
Steve

Old 12-08-2009, 05:59 PM

On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 22:23 +0000, Steve wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:34:30 -0000, R Kimber
> <richardkimber@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 14:53:06 -0600
> > Default User wrote:
> >
> >> In the past, I might have been able to fiddle with an xorg.conf file.
> >> Unfortunately, there is neither an xorg.conf nor an xorg.conf file to be
> >> found (apparently those are no longer used). After doing some research,
> >
> > I think I read previously in the list that you can still create your own.
> >
> > - Richard.
> >
> You can create your own xorg.conf but, I don’t think you can make it
> 'ignore' part of a wide ascreen to create a 4:3 display.
>
> --
> Steve

< sigh >

Okay. It may not be possible to get 1024 x 768, 4:3 ratio, unstretched.
Anyway, thanks for the replies.