Old 12-07-2009, 04:58 PM
NoOp

Default ntop username/password

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ntop

Old 12-07-2009, 05:55 PM
stan

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 09:58:57AM -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/07/2009 08:56 AM, stan wrote:
> > I installed ntop uaing apt-get the other day, and it is sort of working.
> > Looks like I need to change a few things in it's configuration to get what
> > I want.
> >
> > I pointed my web browser at it, and tried the configure link, which caused
> > it to ask for a username/password pair. I tried my user name aand password,
> > and root and that accounts password, to no avail. I looke in /etc/ntop. but
> > grep did not reveal any username or password entries there.
> >
> > How can I figure this out?
> >

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ntop

Ahm that refreshes my memory. Seems Like the first time it comes up, it
wont' actually start till you give it a password. OK, I know what thta
would have been. But what woudl the username be?

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 01:55:06PM -0500, stan wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 09:58:57AM -0800, NoOp wrote:
> > On 12/07/2009 08:56 AM, stan wrote:
> > > I installed ntop uaing apt-get the other day, and it is sort of working.
> > > Looks like I need to change a few things in it's configuration to get what
> > > I want.
> > >
> > > I pointed my web browser at it, and tried the configure link, which caused
> > > it to ask for a username/password pair. I tried my user name aand password,
> > > and root and that accounts password, to no avail. I looke in /etc/ntop. but
> > > grep did not reveal any username or password entries there.
> > >
> > > How can I figure this out?
> > >

> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ntop
> >

> Ahm that refreshes my memory. Seems Like the first time it comes up, it
> wont' actually start till you give it a password. OK, I know what thta
> would have been. But what woudl the username be?
> h it's admin.

Of course now I have another isue. The whole reason for this excersis was
that the Ubuntu instances were not providing historical data (using RRDB)
while the *BSD ones are. Someone sugested that the default configuration in
Ubuntu did not enable the RRDB plugin. But looking at the configuration
pages, there are a number of settigns for rrdb, so I have to assume it is
enabled, since I can't find any place to enable/disable it/

Any ideas on this?

Old 12-07-2009, 06:47 PM
stan

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 02:02:41PM -0500, stan wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 01:55:06PM -0500, stan wrote:

> > > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ntop
> > >

> > Ahm that refreshes my memory. Seems Like the first time it comes up, it
> > wont' actually start till you give it a password. OK, I know what thta
> > would have been. But what woudl the username be?
> > h it's admin.
>
> Of course now I have another isue. The whole reason for this excersis was
> that the Ubuntu instances were not providing historical data (using RRDB)
> while the *BSD ones are. Someone sugested that the default configuration in
> Ubuntu did not enable the RRDB plugin. But looking at the configuration
> pages, there are a number of settigns for rrdb, so I have to assume it is
> enabled, since I can't find any place to enable/disable it/
>
> Any ideas on this?

More data here. ntop seems to be running as user ntop. acording to ps. yet
the directories that it's rrdb files should be going into /var/lib/ntop/rrd/*.
have the following permissions:

drwx------ 2 nobody nogroup 4096 2009-08-18 16:38 flows
drwx------ 2 nobody nogroup 4096 2009-08-18 16:38 graphics
drwx------ 3 nobody nogroup 4096 2009-08-18 16:38 interfaces