Old 12-07-2009, 01:59 AM
user1

Default how to fileshare with bittorrent in ubuntu

I am curious about why it is a danger to the film industry that private
people do filesharing using bittorrent, when I cannot make it work in
ubuntu 9.04.

I have tried several bittorrent clients and made .torrent files for a
video of some 29 mb, but I cannot make it work.

I have even had 2 different bittorrent clients sitting seeding the file,
but it still does not work.

I also have the video together with its .torrent file sitting on a
webserver (a webhotel).

What am I doing wrong?

Maybe it only works in windows - or is it a commercial only item,
disguised as private filesharing?

I find it less easy getting help on this ubuntu-users mailing list, and
even googling gives less usable answers to me?

Old 12-07-2009, 02:13 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 12:59 AM, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:
> I am curious about why it is a danger to the film industry that private
> people do filesharing using bittorrent, when I cannot make it work in
> ubuntu 9.04.
>
> I have tried several bittorrent clients and made .torrent files for a
> video of some 29 mb, but I cannot make it work.
>
> I have even had 2 different bittorrent clients sitting seeding the file,
> but it still does not work.
>
> I also have the video together with its .torrent file sitting on a
> webserver (a webhotel).
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Maybe it only works in windows - or is it a commercial only item,
> disguised as private filesharing?
>
> I find it less easy getting help on this ubuntu-users mailing list, and
> even googling gives less usable answers to me?

I have Vuze and Transmission installed (Jaunty and Karmic 64) and they
work perfectly (providing the firewall is properly configured).
Perhaps you could tell us more about what doesn't work or what happens
when you try to use torrent clients.

L.

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Lat.: 2334'4.79"S - Long.: 4639'59.53"W

Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Andrew Farris

On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 02:59 +0000, user1 wrote:
> I am curious about why it is a danger to the film industry that private
> people do filesharing using bittorrent, when I cannot make it work in
> ubuntu 9.04.

bittorrenting is about as much of a threat to the flim industry today as
the VHS was to the television industry in the 1970s. They are simply
overreacting to something over which they have no control.

> I have tried several bittorrent clients and made .torrent files for a
> video of some 29 mb, but I cannot make it work.
>
> I have even had 2 different bittorrent clients sitting seeding the file,
> but it still does not work.
>
> I also have the video together with its .torrent file sitting on a
> webserver (a webhotel).
>
> What am I doing wrong?

No idea to be honest... I've never tried it before, so I couldn't tell
you. though now that i've read everything you went through, I may try it
over the break when i've got more time on my hands.

In case you haven't seen this yet, maybe something here will be helpful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_%28protocol%29

> Maybe it only works in windows - or is it a commercial only item,
> disguised as private filesharing?

No, and No.

> I find it less easy getting help on this ubuntu-users mailing list, and
> even googling gives less usable answers to me?

less easy than what? It looked to me as though you got plenty of answers
on your last thread... Though I admit, I never read through all of it
until just now, namely because from the title, and the fact that it
already had replies, I figured that the problem had already been solved.

I honestly don't know why it's not working for you though... it appears
that you have:
* a .torrent file, referencing a file wish to make available
* the file you want to make available, on the web someplace / the
file on a computer with the torrent file open, seeding for said
file

As far as I understand bittorrent, that should be enough... though I
recall you saying something in your other thread that you saw connected
peers, but the connection was idle... it could be that the peers with
the file aren't reporting themselves as seeds for some reason... no
idea.

If you'd like, I can try to help with seeding/downloading the file like
Amedee did, to see if we can get this file it's own little swarm
started...

--
Andrew

Old 12-07-2009, 11:52 AM
user1

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 01:13:04 -0200, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 12:59 AM, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:
>> I am curious about why it is a danger to the film industry that private
>> people do filesharing using bittorrent, when I cannot make it work in
>> ubuntu 9.04.
>>
>> I have tried several bittorrent clients and made .torrent files for a
>> video of some 29 mb, but I cannot make it work.
>>
>> I have even had 2 different bittorrent clients sitting seeding the
>> file, but it still does not work.
>>
>> I also have the video together with its .torrent file sitting on a
>> webserver (a webhotel).
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Maybe it only works in windows - or is it a commercial only item,
>> disguised as private filesharing?
>>
>> I find it less easy getting help on this ubuntu-users mailing list, and
>> even googling gives less usable answers to me?
>
> I have Vuze and Transmission installed (Jaunty and Karmic 64) and they
> work perfectly (providing the firewall is properly configured). Perhaps
> you could tell us more about what doesn't work or what happens when you
> try to use torrent clients.

You can see most of what I did on the thread:

"how to create a .torrent file" of Nov 28

Old 12-07-2009, 05:47 PM
user1

>> I have tried several bittorrent clients

The word azureus gave me a clue - THANKS

I found some links, which I relate to my problem, which I share:

How to host and share a torrent:
http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Host_and_share_your_torrents

How to get a static address on a dynamic (dhcp) address using dyndns:
http://www.dyndns.com/about/home_solutions.html

I have an older small fit-pc running, which could be used as a torrent
server,
it only uses 11 w:
http://www.fit-pc.com/web/

(hoping it to help others)

Old 12-07-2009, 08:19 PM
"Mark C. Miller"

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 18:47:25 +0000, user1 wrote:

> How to get a static address on a dynamic (dhcp) address using dyndns:
> http://www.dyndns.com/about/home_solutions.html

I've been using them for about a year-and-a-half. Nothing but good things
to say about them. Save yourself a lot of headaches and get ddclient off
the repositories ... took me some time to find this little tidbit. It
automatically updates dyndns every time the address changes on the
dynamic machine.

mcm

--
Mark C. Miller, Indianapolis IN, USA

Old 12-09-2009, 03:10 AM
user1

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:19:18 +0000, Mark C. Miller wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 18:47:25 +0000, user1 wrote:
>
>> How to get a static address on a dynamic (dhcp) address using dyndns:
>> http://www.dyndns.com/about/home_solutions.html

My dyndns address seems to work ok.

Then I make a torrent in azureus (ubuntu 8.04).

Then I try do download this torrent in vuze (ubuntu 9.04) and get
following 3 Tracker Status messages constantly and no download:

OK (dht

Checking.....

Connection Error (invalid reply: followed by garbled code

My torrent is here:

http://www.minihowto.org/kompozervideo.torrent

I have googled a lot, and I find it diffecult to understand some of the
vuze documentation: http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

:-)

Old 12-09-2009, 03:16 AM
user1

> :-)

I also find there is a terribly lot of setup options in azureus and vuze,
that I cannot understand