Old 12-06-2009, 07:22 PM
fuxiao xin

Default reverse rsync mistake?

Dear all,

I mistakenly used rsync just now,** instead of doing "rsync source dest", I did* "rsync dest source". So I lost all my files.... Crying~

Is there a way to reverse this action?* Thanks a millon~*

Best,
Shine

Old 12-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Alan McKay

Ouch! Probably the only way out is to restore from backups if you have them.

If not you should look into a product called "backup pc" which is
based on rsync. Looks like Ubuntu has it

root@alan-ubuntu:~# apt-cache search backuppc
backuppc - high-performance, enterprise-grade system for backing up PCs
libfile-rsyncp-perl - A perl based implementation of an Rsync client
libio-dirent-perl - Perl module for accessing dirent structs returned by readdir

It is pretty easy to set up and is automated after that.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Werner Schram

fuxiao xin wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I mistakenly used rsync just now, instead of doing "rsync source
> dest", I did "rsync dest source". So I lost all my files.... Crying~
>
> Is there a way to reverse this action? Thanks a millon~
Well, I can't reccomend easy to use tools, but there are some options.
Your best changes of recovering anything are when you make sure there
are no write operations on the partition, because every write operation
can overwrite your lost data. If your lost data is on the same partition
as the /var partition, you should use boot a live cd (your ubuntu
installation cd), and do it from there.

If you are useing ext3, maybe ext3grep can help you to recover some files:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlo17/howto/undelete_ext3.html

For reiserfs, maybe this is useful:

http://antrix.net/journal/techtalk/reiserfs_data_recovery_howto.comments

I hope this helps

Werner

Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 PM
"Mark C. Miller"

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 15:30:30 -0500, Alan McKay wrote:

> Ouch! Probably the only way out is to restore from backups if you have
> them.
>
> If not you should look into a product called "backup pc" which is based
> on rsync. Looks like Ubuntu has it
>
> root@alan-ubuntu:~# apt-cache search backuppc backuppc -
> high-performance, enterprise-grade system for backing up PCs
> libfile-rsyncp-perl - A perl based implementation of an Rsync client
> libio-dirent-perl - Perl module for accessing dirent structs returned by
> readdir
>
> It is pretty easy to set up and is automated after that.
>

> --
> “Don't eat anything you've ever seen advertised on TV”
> - Michael Pollan, author of "In Defense of Food"

I'm not (a) a power user or (b) an enterprise; I keep myself straight on
rsync by using the grsync utility ... it seems to be just a GUI
interface, but it keeps me from making mistakes

FWIW

mcm

--
Mark C. Miller, Indianapolis IN, USA

Old 12-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Alan McKay

> I'm not (a) a power user or (b) an enterprise; I keep myself straight on
> rsync by using the grsync utility ... it seems to be just a GUI
> interface, but it keeps me from making mistakes

Of course, being curious I just took a quick look, and it does not
make a clear distinction between source and destination directories
:-(

It says "Source and Destination Directories" above 2 fields. But the
fields have no indication as to which is which. Logic would tell me
that the first is source and the 2nd destination. But logic would
tell me the same thing about the command line too :-)