Old 12-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Knapp

Default Can you broadcast your Desktop?

Hello,
I want to be able to broadcast what is on my desktop. I want to do
one to many. The idea is to let others watch me work a program
(Blender3d) so that they can learn how to use it and at the same time
they would ask me questions over IRC. Being able to just prodcast the
Blender window would work just fine also. All I can find are things to
broadcast videos or video or to make still shots of my desktop.

Thanks.
--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?

Old 12-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Steve

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 12:07:07 -0000, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I want to be able to broadcast what is on my desktop. I want to do
> one to many. The idea is to let others watch me work a program
> (Blender3d) so that they can learn how to use it and at the same time
> they would ask me questions over IRC. Being able to just prodcast the
> Blender window would work just fine also. All I can find are things to
> broadcast videos or video or to make still shots of my desktop.
>
> Thanks.

I think this is what you’re lookin g for
http://recordmydesktop.sourceforge.net/
--
Steve

Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Alan McKay

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 7:07 AM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> *I want to be able to broadcast what is on my desktop. I want to do
> one to many. The idea is to let others watch me work a program
> (Blender3d) so that they can learn how to use it and at the same time
> they would ask me questions over IRC.

Do any of the VNC variants allow multiple read-only clients?

Looks from the man page for vncviewer that TigerVNC supports it.
Look at the --shared and --viewonly options to the client.

http://tigervnc.org/

Old 12-07-2009, 08:54 PM
"Mark C. Miller"

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 13:07:07 +0100, Knapp wrote:

> Hello,
> I want to be able to broadcast what is on my desktop. I want to do
> one to many. The idea is to let others watch me work a program
> (Blender3d) so that they can learn how to use it and at the same time
> they would ask me questions over IRC. Being able to just prodcast the
> Blender window would work just fine also. All I can find are things to
> broadcast videos or video or to make still shots of my desktop.
>
> Thanks.

Do you need to do the broadcast in real time? There's a program called
"wink" in the repositories that seems to be able to record your desktop
for later playback. Then you could entertain IRC discussions?

--
Mark C. Miller, Indianapolis IN, USA

Old 12-08-2009, 05:25 AM
Knapp

> Do you need to do the broadcast in real time? *There's a program called
> "wink" in the repositories that seems to be able to record your desktop
> for later playback. *Then you could entertain IRC discussions?
>

> --
> Mark C. Miller, Indianapolis IN, USA

Yes, I want to do it in real time and talk on IRC so that I can help
people learn Blender 3d 2.5. It is very new and a total redo of the
user interface plus a LOT of new tools and other stuff. It is a great
program but rather hard for the newbie.
--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?

Old 12-08-2009, 05:46 AM
n3mo

Like Alan said, you can use x11vnc with --shared and --viewonly* By the way can you share ip or whatever you decide when you will stream those lessons so we can watch them too.

Ned

Old 12-08-2009, 06:56 AM
Knapp

Anyone that needs help can feel free to email me privately about
Blender 3d (any version). I am also often on IRC freenode.net #blender
as human-bean but then you can ask and likely someone there will help.
It is a very friendly and helpful channel most times unlike some IRC
places. ALso after asking be sure to hand out for 2 hours to get your
answer. Other people are often working and read back to help people
that wait.

I am not even sure my live lessons will work because I have a slow DSL
but I do hope to give it a try.
A bunch of my blender 3d test videos are here.
http://www.youtube.com/user/xomagick
-
Douglas E Knapp

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Fred Roller

Alan McKay wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 7:07 AM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I want to be able to broadcast what is on my desktop. I want to do
>> one to many. The idea is to let others watch me work a program
>> (Blender3d) so that they can learn how to use it and at the same time
>> they would ask me questions over IRC.
>>

> Do any of the VNC variants allow multiple read-only clients?
>
> Looks from the man page for vncviewer that TigerVNC supports it.
> Look at the --shared and --viewonly options to the client.
>
> http://tigervnc.org/

This article may be of intrest:

http://nomachine.org/ar/view.php?ar_id=AR11B00098

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."