Old 12-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Andrea Fortino

Default Problems restoring personalised Debian from usb key into 20 netbook hardisks

Hi,
at work they asked me to transfer a personalised Debian from a bootable
usb key(1) - size 1 GB, formatted ext2 and using grub - into circa 20
netbooks ASUS having 160 GB hardisk with Windows XP preinstalled.

Tried to clone personalised Debian with Clonezilla-Sysresccd(2), saving
image into a directory of an external usb hardisk. Then tried to restore
image to netbook hardisk, using same partition table and grub of usb key.

Everything seems to work.

Netbook reboot. Black screen with the message "GRUB" and system freeze.
Surely wrong grub configuration ("sdb" or "sdc", instead of "sda"), I
think. At work I haven't SuperGrub cd with me. Reboot using a ubuntu
live cd, ready to change netbook grub configuration (even if don't know
how yet via command line), but...

Partition editor says netbook hardisk has first partition (1 GB circa)
with "unknown"(???) filestystem, then 159 GB circa with unused space.

Where am I wrong?

Thank you very much!

Ciao,
Andrea