Old 01-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Keith Clark

Default Installation from CD image

Is there a way to install a distribution without actually burning a CD? From an iso image file?

Keith

Old 01-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Erik Schmidt

do you have an OS already installed?

if you're trying to install the distro to a partition, one can usually
install to a partition from an ISO within the already installed OS.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:43 PM

if you're trying to install the distro to a partition, one can usually

install to a partition from an ISO within the already installed OS.

Yes, I have an OS already. How do I do this?

Keith

Old 01-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Erik Schmidt

well, what OS are you using, and have you already partitioned the drive?

Old 01-04-2008, 11:13 PM

Drive is partitioned and blank. I am running PCLinuxOS on this machine. I want Ubuntu, but it is having some problems installing from the CD.

Keith

Old 01-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Erik Schmidt

hmmmm, I am not farmiliar with procedure of that OS, perhaps someone
else on the list does

if you can look around admin tools for some sort of disk utility, and
there may be some way to do this via command line...

Old 01-05-2008, 04:20 AM
anthony baldwin

Erik Schmidt wrote:
> hmmmm, I am not farmiliar with procedure of that OS, perhaps someone
> else on the list does

I've gone the other way...Intalled PCFluxboxOS on a partition
on a machine that had feisty already on it.
I had no issues.
Then I deleted feisty.
Still using Dapper on my main machine, though.

I may have missed something on this thread.
I have to say, I have never had any luck installing Xubuntu or Fluxbuntu.
(My main box is Kubuntu, with fluxbox added afterwards...)

/tony

> if you can look around admin tools for some sort of disk utility, and
> there may be some way to do this via command line...
> On Jan 4, 2008, at 7:13 PM, keithclark1966@rogers.com wrote:
>

>> Drive is partitioned and blank. I am running PCLinuxOS on this
>> machine. I want Ubuntu, but it is having some problems installing
>> from the CD.
>>
>> Keith

http://www.BaldwinLinguas.com - Translation & Interpreting

http://www.LinguasOS.org - Linux for Translators

mais la langue, aucun homme ne peut la dompter;
c'est un mal qu'on ne peut réprimer;
elle est pleine d'un venin mortel.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:26 AM
Erik Schmidt

keith, can you not burn the live CD or can you simply not boot from it?

Old 01-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Thomas Kaiser

Keith Clark wrote:
> Is there a way to install a distribution without actually burning a CD? From an iso image file?
>
> Keith

Why not install with debootstrap? See:
http://nas-central.org/index.php?title=Debootstrap_Ubuntu_from_Gentoo
https://wiki.kubuntu.org/DebootstrapChroot

Google a bit, you will find many articles about installing with debootstrap.

Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Old 01-05-2008, 12:03 PM
"Joel Bryan Juliano"

This works on my usb thumbdrive, don't know if it will work on a hard
disk. Experiment, Mens Et Manus, experience and hands-on application
is the best training and teacher.
You can try to create a 700MB FAT32 Partition, mount the iso and the
new partition then rsync -a /mnt/source /mnt/destination