Old 12-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Ross Schoenauer

Default Computer in xterm

I am running AMD64 with Ubuntu and Kubuntu installed with "no log in
required". I switched to xterm on startup and now can not get out of
it. When I restart it goes to xterm automatically because the no log
in required. I need a command in xterm to start ubuntu.
Thank you in advance.

Ross

Old 12-06-2009, 04:46 AM
Leonard

Ross Schoenauer wrote:

I am running AMD64 with Ubuntu and Kubuntu installed with "no log in
required". I switched to xterm on startup and now can not get out of
it. When I restart it goes to xterm automatically because the no log
in required. I need a command in xterm to start ubuntu.
Thank you in advance.

Ross

If you mean you are at a tty terminal, try startx to get to your kdm or
gdm desktop.
Not sure exactly what you mean but, if you are in something like konsole
you should have a system
tray to start kde or gnome. If not type exit on the xterm console and
see what happens. Good luck.

--
Leonard

lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Loïc Grenié

2009/12/5 Ross Schoenauer <ross_s@cmc.net>:
> I am running AMD64 with Ubuntu and Kubuntu installed with "no log in
> required". *I switched to xterm on startup and now can not get out of
> it. *When I restart it goes to xterm automatically *because the no log
> in required. *I need a command in xterm *to start *ubuntu.
> Thank you in advance.

Just type

rm .dmrc

and restart (try Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and if does not work Ctrl-Alt-Del,
and if this does not work either maybe typing "exit" in the xterm will
do). That should erase your default desktop and thus go to the system
default one (Gnome or KDE).

Just a word of vocabulary: Ubuntu is the complete operating
system. What you are looking after is a desktop environment. The
most famous (under Ubuntu) are Gnome (selected for Ubuntu) and
KDE (selected for Kubuntu). There are others, among which XFce.
The xterm you are offered can be considered an extremely minimal
desktop environment (or something that is not really a desktop
environment) in any case ubuntu is already "started" when you
have it.

Hope this helps,

Loïc