Old 12-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Alan McKay

Default Laptop install fail - Dell Inspiron 6000 (need GRUB-fu?)

Hey folks,

Well, things did not go so well for my wife's laptop.

I booted the 9.10 CD and chose the install option without trying the
Live CD first. It seemed to install fine but when I removed the CD
and rebooted, it just comes up and says there is and unknown device
and some big long HEX number.

So I boot the Live CD and get it to mount the HD, and sure enough it
mounts at /media/same-big-hex-number

Hmmm. So I look on the disk at /etc/fstab and it is also using that
number, so i changed it over to the raw device /dev/sda1 for / and
/dev/sda5 for swap.

Now, one odd thing I did notice was that "sfdisk -l" lists the
partitions - and there were 2 used, then 2 blank, then sda5 which was
swap. I thought that odd. But even odder was that when I went into
fdisk and did "p" it showed no partitions! WTF?

So I googled "ubuntu dell inspiron 6000" and not much came up.

No help here either : http://www.linux-laptop.net/dell.html

Oh, I also at boot time went into the GRUB edit mode and that number
was in there too - so clearly this is my remaining issue - but GRUB
seems to have advanced a lot since I was last really into it about 4
or 5 years ago. I also went into /etc/grub.d from the live CD and saw
a whole bunch of greek in there instead of the old grub file I used to
be familiar with.

So - what is the magic incantation I need here? I'm assuming some
GRUB-fu would fix me up?

thanks,
-Alan

Old 12-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Alan McKay

Well that was easy enough.

I just re-did the install with manual partitioning

Made 2 primary partitions / and swap, instead of that crazy extended stuff.

Now I have to go see about wireless on that thing - I stumbled upon a
few sites for that while looking for a solution to this problem :-)

Old 12-05-2009, 08:32 PM
NoOp

On 12/05/2009 12:13 PM, Alan McKay wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> Well, things did not go so well for my wife's laptop.
>
> I booted the 9.10 CD and chose the install option without trying the
> Live CD first. It seemed to install fine but when I removed the CD
> and rebooted, it just comes up and says there is and unknown device
> and some big long HEX number.
>
> So I boot the Live CD and get it to mount the HD, and sure enough it
> mounts at /media/same-big-hex-number
>
> Hmmm. So I look on the disk at /etc/fstab and it is also using that
> number, so i changed it over to the raw device /dev/sda1 for / and
> /dev/sda5 for swap.

It the partition/drive UUID. See:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingUUID

Also, the standard install is sda1 for the primary partition & sda5 for
the swap.

These might be helpful:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910
https://help.ubuntu.com/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition/OperatingSystemsAndPartitions>
<snips>

> Oh, I also at boot time went into the GRUB edit mode and that number
> was in there too - so clearly this is my remaining issue - but GRUB
> seems to have advanced a lot since I was last really into it about 4
> or 5 years ago. I also went into /etc/grub.d from the live CD and saw
> a whole bunch of greek in there instead of the old grub file I used to
> be familiar with.

It's grub2. See:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2