FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-05-2009, 05:21 PM
stan
 
Default apt-get dist-upgrade, and X issues

I just did an apt-get dist-upgrade on a 9.10 box, and when I rebooted. I
get a message about running in low-res mode. It says "(EE)XKB: no
components provided for virtual cire keyboard.

This machine has a Nvidia graphics card, and the Xorg.0.log file seems to
indicate that the nvidia module was laoded corectly:

This seems to e the root cause of the problem:

(EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
(WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
[config/dbus] couldn't take over org.x.config:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected (Connection was disconnected before
a reply was received)
[config/hal] couldn't add match rule:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected (Connection is closed)
[config/hal] cannot detect a HAL startup.

What can I do to fix this?

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Steve
 
Default apt-get dist-upgrade, and X issues

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 18:21:39 -0000, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:

> I just did an apt-get dist-upgrade on a 9.10 box, and when I rebooted. I
> get a message about running in low-res mode. It says "(EE)XKB: no
> components provided for virtual cire keyboard.
>
> This machine has a Nvidia graphics card, and the Xorg.0.log file seems to
> indicate that the nvidia module was laoded corectly:
>
> This seems to e the root cause of the problem:
>
> (EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
> (WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
> [config/dbus] couldn't take over org.x.config:
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected (Connection was disconnected
> before
> a reply was received)
> [config/hal] couldn't add match rule:
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected (Connection is closed)
> [config/hal] cannot detect a HAL startup.
>
> What can I do to fix this?
>
Have you tried booting an earlier kernel version, as there was a kernel
update today

--
Steve

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Leonard Chatagnier
 
Default apt-get dist-upgrade, and X issues

--- On Sat, 12/5/09, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:

> From: stan <stanb@panix.com>
> Subject: apt-get dist-upgrade, and X issues
> To: "Ubuntu Linux List" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Saturday, December 5, 2009, 12:21 PM
> I just did an apt-get dist-upgrade on
> a 9.10 box, and when I rebooted. I
> get a message about running in low-res mode. It says
> "(EE)XKB: no
> components provided for virtual cire keyboard.
>
> This machine has a Nvidia graphics card, and the Xorg.0.log
> file seems to
> indicate that the nvidia module was laoded corectly:
>
> This seems to e the root cause of the problem:
>
> (EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core
> keyboard
> (WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB
> keymap
> [config/dbus] couldn't take over org.x.config:
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected (Connection was
> disconnected before
> a reply was received)
> [config/hal] couldn't add match rule:
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected (Connection is
> closed)
> [config/hal] cannot detect a HAL startup.
>
> What can I do to fix this?
>
Welcome to the club and I don't know know a permanent fix as I've been suffering from a low res issue for a few weeks now on my 64 bit Karmic with kubuntu-desktop. Do you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file? If so, copy and pasted it to your reply.
After you close out the startup low res error message, did you try any of the suggestions to fix or read the log file, etc? What did the X logs say?
If you can't get into X windows from the command tty using startx, you might try:
sudo restart dbus
sudo restart hal
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm(or kdm, whichever you use) restart(all one line)
None of the suggestions are a fix but may get you into X windows(gnome or kde) so you can use your machine. The more error messages you can give the list, the more help likely to come.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-05-2009, 06:03 PM
stan
 
Default apt-get dist-upgrade, and X issues

On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 10:46:08AM -0800, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
> --- On Sat, 12/5/09, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > From: stan <stanb@panix.com>
> > Subject: apt-get dist-upgrade, and X issues
> > To: "Ubuntu Linux List" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> > Date: Saturday, December 5, 2009, 12:21 PM
> > I just did an apt-get dist-upgrade on
> > a 9.10 box, and when I rebooted. I
> > get a message about running in low-res mode. It says
> > "(EE)XKB: no
> > components provided for virtual cire keyboard.
> >
> > This machine has a Nvidia graphics card, and the Xorg.0.log
> > file seems to
> > indicate that the nvidia module was laoded corectly:
> >
> > This seems to e the root cause of the problem:
> >
> > (EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core
> > keyboard
> > (WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB
> > keymap
> > [config/dbus] couldn't take over org.x.config:
> > org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected (Connection was
> > disconnected before
> > a reply was received)
> > [config/hal] couldn't add match rule:
> > org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected (Connection is
> > closed)
> > [config/hal] cannot detect a HAL startup.
> >
> > What can I do to fix this?
> >
> Welcome to the club and I don't know know a permanent fix as I've been suffering from a low res issue for a few weeks now on my 64 bit Karmic with kubuntu-desktop. Do you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file? If so, copy and pasted it to your reply.

# xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Files"
EndSection

# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
#Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
# Driver "kbd"
# Option "CoreKeyboard"
# Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
# Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
# Option "XkbLayout" "us"
#EndSection

# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
#Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "Configured Mouse"
# Driver "mouse"
# Option "CorePointer"
# Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
# Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
# Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
# Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
#EndSection

# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
#Section "InputDevice"
# Driver "wacom"
# Identifier "stylus"
# Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
# Option "Type" "stylus"
# Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
#EndSection

# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
#Section "InputDevice"
# Driver "wacom"
# Identifier "eraser"
# Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
# Option "Type" "eraser"
# Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
#EndSection

# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
#Section "InputDevice"
# Driver "wacom"
# Identifier "cursor"
# Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
# Option "Type" "cursor"
# Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
#EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
Driver "nvidia"
Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
Option "AddARGBVisuals" "True"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
Option "DPMS"
Horizsync 30-70
Vertrefresh 50-160
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
Monitor "Generic Monitor"
Defaultdepth 24
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
screen "Default Screen"
# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
# Inputdevice "Generic Keyboard"
# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
# Inputdevice "Configured Mouse"

# Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet
# InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
# InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
# InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection
Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

> After you close out the startup low res error message, did you try any of the suggestions to fix or read the log file, etc? What did the X logs say?

Yes.

> If you can't get into X windows from the command tty using startx, you might try:

I think the relevant part of it was in the original post. If needed I can
send the whole thing.

> sudo restart dbus

This works.

> sudo restart hal

This fails:

root@boo-boo:/etc/X11# restart hal
restart: Unknown instance:


> sudo /etc/init.d/gdm(or kdm, whichever you use) restart(all one line)

Well this gets interesting:

root@boo-boo:/etc/init.d# ./kdm start
Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service kdm start

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the start(8) utility, e.g. start kdm


Having foudn this, I was able to do "stop kdm" followed by "start kdm" as
root. This got the graphical login up, but neither the mouse, nor the
kayboard work, at this point.


> None of the suggestions are a fix but may get you into X windows(gnome or kde) so you can use your machine. The more error messages you can give the list, the more help likely to come.
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
>
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Leonard
 
Default apt-get dist-upgrade, and X issues

Stan please don't copy me. I get the list mail and don't need an extra
copy.

Perhaps review the ubuntu code of conduct.

stan wrote:

On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 10:46:08AM -0800, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:


--- On Sat, 12/5/09, stan<stanb@panix.com> wrote:



From: stan<stanb@panix.com>
Subject: apt-get dist-upgrade, and X issues
To: "Ubuntu Linux List"<ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Date: Saturday, December 5, 2009, 12:21 PM
I just did an apt-get dist-upgrade on
a 9.10 box, and when I rebooted. I
get a message about running in low-res mode. It says
"(EE)XKB: no
components provided for virtual cire keyboard.

This machine has a Nvidia graphics card, and the Xorg.0.log
file seems to
indicate that the nvidia module was laoded corectly:

This seems to e the root cause of the problem:

(EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core
keyboard
(WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB
keymap
[config/dbus] couldn't take over org.x.config:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected (Connection was
disconnected before
a reply was received)
[config/hal] couldn't add match rule:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected (Connection is
closed)
[config/hal] cannot detect a HAL startup.

What can I do to fix this?



Welcome to the club and I don't know know a permanent fix as I've been suffering from a low res issue for a few weeks now on my 64 bit Karmic with kubuntu-desktop. Do you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file? If so, copy and pasted it to your reply.


# xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#

This above seem to indicate that you upgraded from an earlier version of
Ubuntu and I assumed
you did a dist-upgrade from an already installed Karmic. Exactly what
did you do to upgrade

to Karmic?

# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg


I hAVEN'T SEEN THIS ON MY kARMIC FRESH INSTALL; iT'S FROM AN EARLIER VERSION


Section "Files"
EndSection

# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
#Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
# Driver "kbd"
# Option "CoreKeyboard"
# Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
# Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
# Option "XkbLayout" "us"
#EndSection

# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
#Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "Configured Mouse"
# Driver "mouse"
# Option "CorePointer"
# Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
# Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
# Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
# Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
#EndSection

# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
#Section "InputDevice"
# Driver "wacom"
# Identifier "stylus"
# Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
# Option "Type" "stylus"
# Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
#EndSection

# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
#Section "InputDevice"
# Driver "wacom"
# Identifier "eraser"
# Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
# Option "Type" "eraser"
# Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
#EndSection

# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
#Section "InputDevice"
# Driver "wacom"
# Identifier "cursor"
# Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
# Option "Type" "cursor"
# Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
#EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
Driver "nvidia"
Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
Option "AddARGBVisuals" "True"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
Option "DPMS"
Horizsync 30-70
Vertrefresh 50-160
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
Monitor "Generic Monitor"
Defaultdepth 24
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
screen "Default Screen"
# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
# Inputdevice "Generic Keyboard"
# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
# Inputdevice "Configured Mouse"

# Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet
# InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
# InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
# InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection
Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection



After you close out the startup low res error message, did you try any of the suggestions to fix or read the log file, etc? What did the X logs say?


Yes.



So, what did /var/log/Xorg.0.log say. That's the important thing.
Especially anything about xkb.



If you can't get into X windows from the command tty using startx, you might try:


I think the relevant part of it was in the original post. If needed I can
send the whole thing.

I thought I replied to your original post as I saw no replies on it. If
you do have an original post please send it to me

directly as the list should already have it.


sudo restart dbus


This works.



sudo restart hal


This fails:

root@boo-boo:/etc/X11# restart hal
restart: Unknown instance:

This could be an issue with hal as I didn't have it when I ran it. BTW,
Ubuntu recommends that you use sudo instead
of a root terminal. A root terminal can cause you untold misery if not
used correctly.




sudo /etc/init.d/gdm(or kdm, whichever you use) restart(all one line)


Well this gets interesting:

root@boo-boo:/etc/init.d# ./kdm start

Interesting, I've never had any luck without putting the entire path for
/etc/ionit.d in the

command line. Maybe it's the ./ before the kdm that does it.

Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service kdm start

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the start(8) utility, e.g. start kdm


Having foudn this, I was able to do "stop kdm" followed by "start kdm" as
root. This got the graphical login up, but neither the mouse, nor the
kayboard work, at this point.

What does the xorg.log.0 say about the mouse and keyboard. I think you
have a hal issue

but the xorg log info is needed including anything about hal.

Leonard
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-06-2009, 12:58 AM
stan
 
Default apt-get dist-upgrade, and X issues

On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 04:33:00PM -0600, Leonard wrote:
>
> So, what did /var/log/Xorg.0.log say. That's the important thing.
> Especially anything about xkb.
>


X.Org X Server 1.6.4
Release Date: 2009-9-27
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-23-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux boo-boo 2.6.31-16-generic #52-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 3 22:00:22 UTC 2009 i686
Kernel command line: root=UUID=8f7adb50-8066-4c56-a3ff-4e9b5008296b ro quiet splash
Build Date: 26 October 2009 05:15:02PM
xorg-server 2:1.6.4-2ubuntu4 (buildd@)
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Dec 5 14:01:21 2009
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) ServerLayout "Default Layout"
(**) |-->Screen "Default Screen" (0)
(**) | |-->Monitor "Generic Monitor"
(**) | |-->Device "nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
(==) Automatically adding devices
(==) Automatically enabling devices
(==) FontPath set to:
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType,
built-ins
(==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
(II) Cannot locate a core pointer device.
(II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device.
(II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable AllowEmptyInput.
(II) Loader magic: 0x3bc0
(II) Module ABI versions:
X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
X.Org Video Driver: 5.0
X.Org XInput driver : 4.0
X.Org Server Extension : 2.0
(II) Loader running on linux
(++) using VT number 7

(--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 10de:0322:196e:01ad nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] rev 161, Mem @ 0xd8000000/16777216, 0xc0000000/268435456, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072
(II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
(II) System resource ranges:
[0] -1 0 0xffffffff - 0xffffffff (0x1) MX[b]
[1] -1 0 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[b]
[2] -1 0 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[b]
[3] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[b]
[4] -1 0 0xffffffff - 0xffffffff (0x1) MX[b]
[5] -1 0 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[b]
[6] -1 0 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[b]
[7] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[b]
[8] -1 0 0xffffffff - 0xffffffff (0x1) MX[b]
[9] -1 0 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[b]
[10] -1 0 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[b]
[11] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[b]
[12] -1 0 0xffffffff - 0xffffffff (0x1) MX[b]
[13] -1 0 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[b]
[14] -1 0 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[b]
[15] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[b]
[16] -1 0 0xffffffff - 0xffffffff (0x1) MX[b]
[17] -1 0 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[b]
[18] -1 0 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[b]
[19] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[b]
[20] -1 0 0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[b]
[21] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x00000000 (0x1) IX[b]
[22] -1 0 0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[b]
[23] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x00000000 (0x1) IX[b]
[24] -1 0 0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[b]
[25] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x00000000 (0x1) IX[b]
[26] -1 0 0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[b]
[27] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x00000000 (0x1) IX[b]
[28] -1 0 0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[b]
[29] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x00000000 (0x1) IX[b]
(II) "extmod" will be loaded by default.
(II) "dbe" will be loaded by default.
(II) "glx" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and also specified in the config file.
(II) "record" will be loaded by default.
(II) "dri" will be loaded by default.
(II) "dri2" will be loaded by default.
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
Module class: X.Org Server Extension
(II) NVIDIA GLX Module 173.14.20 Thu Jun 25 19:49:59 PDT 2009
(II) Loading extension GLX
(II) LoadModule: "extmod"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libextmod.so
(II) Module extmod: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.6.4, module version = 1.0.0
Module class: X.Org Server Extension
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
(II) Loading extension DPMS
(II) Loading extension XVideo
(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
(II) Loading extension X-Resource
(II) LoadModule: "dbe"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdbe.so
(II) Module dbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.6.4, module version = 1.0.0
Module class: X.Org Server Extension
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
(II) LoadModule: "record"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//librecord.so
(II) Module record: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.6.4, module version = 1.13.0
Module class: X.Org Server Extension
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension RECORD
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.6.4, module version = 1.0.0
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
(II) LoadModule: "dri2"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri2.so
(II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.6.4, module version = 1.1.0
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension DRI2
(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver 173.14.20 Thu Jun 25 19:28:52 PDT 2009
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0
(II) Loading sub module "fb"
(II) LoadModule: "fb"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libfb.so
(II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.6.4, module version = 1.0.0
ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
(II) Loading sub module "wfb"
(II) LoadModule: "wfb"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libwfb.so
(II) Module wfb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.6.4, module version = 1.0.0
ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
(II) Loading sub module "ramdac"
(II) LoadModule: "ramdac"
(II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
(II) resource ranges after probing:
[0] -1 0 0xffffffff - 0xffffffff (0x1) MX[b]
[1] -1 0 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[b]
[2] -1 0 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[b]
[3] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[b]
[4] -1 0 0xffffffff - 0xffffffff (0x1) MX[b]
[5] -1 0 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[b]
[6] -1 0 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[b]
[7] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[b]
[8] -1 0 0xffffffff - 0xffffffff (0x1) MX[b]
[9] -1 0 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[b]
[10] -1 0 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[b]
[11] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[b]
[12] -1 0 0xffffffff - 0xffffffff (0x1) MX[b]
[13] -1 0 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[b]
[14] -1 0 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[b]
[15] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[b]
[16] -1 0 0xffffffff - 0xffffffff (0x1) MX[b]
[17] -1 0 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[b]
[18] -1 0 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[b]
[19] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[b]
[20] -1 0 0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[b]
[21] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x00000000 (0x1) IX[b]
[22] -1 0 0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[b]
[23] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x00000000 (0x1) IX[b]
[24] -1 0 0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[b]
[25] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x00000000 (0x1) IX[b]
[26] -1 0 0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[b]
[27] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x00000000 (0x1) IX[b]
[28] -1 0 0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[b]
[29] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x00000000 (0x1) IX[b]
(II) NVIDIA(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
"Default Screen" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "NoLogo" "True"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is
(II) NVIDIA(0): enabled.
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce FX 5200 (NV34) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 262144 kBytes
(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 04.34.20.69.51
(II) NVIDIA(0): Detected AGP rate: 8X
(--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
(--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce FX 5200 at PCI:1:0:0:
(--) NVIDIA(0): Chuntex (CRT-1)
(--) NVIDIA(0): Chuntex (CRT-1): 350.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
(II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: CRT-1
(==) NVIDIA(0):
(==) NVIDIA(0): No modes were requested; the default mode "nvidia-auto-select"
(==) NVIDIA(0): will be used as the requested mode.
(==) NVIDIA(0):
(II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
(II) NVIDIA(0): "nvidia-auto-select"
(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1600 x 1200
(--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (112, 112); computed from "UseEdidDpi" X config
(--) NVIDIA(0): option
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling 32-bit ARGB GLX visuals.
(--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
(II) do I need RAC? No, I don't.
(II) resource ranges after preInit:
[0] -1 0 0xffffffff - 0xffffffff (0x1) MX[b]
[1] -1 0 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[b]
[2] -1 0 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[b]
[3] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[b]
[4] -1 0 0xffffffff - 0xffffffff (0x1) MX[b]
[5] -1 0 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[b]
[6] -1 0 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[b]
[7] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[b]
[8] -1 0 0xffffffff - 0xffffffff (0x1) MX[b]
[9] -1 0 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[b]
[10] -1 0 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[b]
[11] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[b]
[12] -1 0 0xffffffff - 0xffffffff (0x1) MX[b]
[13] -1 0 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[b]
[14] -1 0 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[b]
[15] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[b]
[16] -1 0 0xffffffff - 0xffffffff (0x1) MX[b]
[17] -1 0 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[b]
[18] -1 0 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[b]
[19] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[b]
[20] -1 0 0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[b]
[21] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x00000000 (0x1) IX[b]
[22] -1 0 0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[b]
[23] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x00000000 (0x1) IX[b]
[24] -1 0 0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[b]
[25] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x00000000 (0x1) IX[b]
[26] -1 0 0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[b]
[27] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x00000000 (0x1) IX[b]
[28] -1 0 0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[b]
[29] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x00000000 (0x1) IX[b]
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized AGP GART.
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "nvidia-auto-select"
(II) Loading extension NV-GLX
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized
(II) NVIDIA(0): Using the NVIDIA 2D acceleration architecture
(==) NVIDIA(0): Backing store disabled
(==) NVIDIA(0): Silken mouse enabled
(**) Option "dpms"
(**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled
(II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Option "AddARGBVisuals" is not used
(==) RandR enabled
(II) Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
(II) Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
(II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
(II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
(II) Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
(II) Initializing built-in extension SYNC
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
(II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
(II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
(II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
(II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
(II) Initializing extension GLX
(EE) config/hal: couldn't initialise context: unknown error (null)

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-06-2009, 04:09 AM
Florian Diesch
 
Default apt-get dist-upgrade, and X issues

stan <stanb@panix.com> writes:

> (II) Cannot locate a core pointer device.
> (II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device.
> (II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
> If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable AllowEmptyInput.


What does
hal-find-by-capability --capability input|xargs -i lshal -u '{}'
print?



Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/shell-scripts/>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-06-2009, 04:24 AM
Leonard Chatagnier
 
Default apt-get dist-upgrade, and X issues

--- On Sat, 12/5/09, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:

> From: stan <stanb@panix.com>
> Subject: Re: apt-get dist-upgrade, and X issues
> To:
> Cc: "User Mail List-Ubuntu" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Saturday, December 5, 2009, 7:58 PM
> On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 04:33:00PM
> -0600, Leonard wrote:
> >
> > So, what did /var/log/Xorg.0.log say. That's the
> important thing.*
> > Especially anything about xkb.
> >
>
>
> X.Org X Server 1.6.4
> Release Date: 2009-9-27
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-23-server i686 Ubuntu
> Current Operating System: Linux boo-boo 2.6.31-16-generic


Interesting that you have this kernel image. I safe-upgraded today whinch installed the headers but there was no 2.6.31-16-generic kernel image. Just upgraded again and still no kernel. Did this come from a non-standard repo?


> #52-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 3 22:00:22 UTC 2009 i686
Big Snip
> (EE) config/hal: couldn't initialise context: unknown error
> (null)
The error above is the only thing I see wrong but I'm no expert. Based on that you might try reinstalling hal:

sudo aptitude reinstall hal hal-info libhal-storage1 libhal1
May not help but wont hurt to try. Some other things to try which I did but it didn't fix the issue long term:

1. Use the latest nvidia proprietary driver that supports you card. Do aptitude show nvidia and then do aptitude show<the next highest numbered driver from what you have installed>. Look through the show output to see if your driver is listed. If you find that a newer version of the driver supports your card then purge the old one and install the newest one. Be sure to install the kernel-source and libvdpau corresponding to the nvidia version you install and modaliases also.

Since I don't know how you got the -16 lernel, I'd suggest you go to the -15 kernel to do all this and get the -15 kernel working first.

2. I've purged and reinstalled the -15 and nvidia driver several times. Each time it helps for a while but doesn't stay fixed.

3. Run nvidia-setings from K menu, check everything out, correct any obvious errors, save configuration and hopefully it will take you(suggest you run) nvidia-xconfig. It did for me and generated an old style xorg.conf that worked for a while.

4. If you goegle for nvidia+ubuntu+low res error you see and also for the config/hal error you reported you will get many hits but very few solutions. One thing I found was a solution for some but it seem it does something to evdev or udev, I forget, and caused you to manually mount external devices. The solution was to add this section to xorg.conf:

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false"
EndSection

See this link: http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/keine-tastatur-maus-mehr-nach-9-04-9-10/#post-2203271


Also look at this:
http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8404570

Try at your own risk. I have not tried these myself. If you want to do some reading try googling:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=nvidia%2Bkarmic%2B(EE)+config%2Fhal %3A+couldn't+initialise+context%3A+unknown+error++ +(null)&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

HTH, but it's about all I can suggest to try. Time for someone with greater insight to come on board.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-06-2009, 12:20 PM
stan
 
Default apt-get dist-upgrade, and X issues

On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 06:09:02AM +0100, Florian Diesch wrote:
> stan <stanb@panix.com> writes:
>
> > (II) Cannot locate a core pointer device.
> > (II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device.
> > (II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
> > If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable AllowEmptyInput.
>
>
> What does
> hal-find-by-capability --capability input|xargs -i lshal -u '{}'
> print?
>
Could not initialise connection to hald.
Normally this means the HAL daemon (hald) is not running or not ready.

And

root@boo-boo:/var/log# ps -ef | grep hal
root 18265 7923 0 08:15 pts/0 00:00:00 grep hal

OBut if I do a "start hal", then I get Lot's of capabilty, and now the
mouse an keyboard work in my currently runnig X session. Remeber that I
manualy started kdm, after it did not come up when booted,

So, the issue appears to be the startup of hal. Whe did the startup
methodolgy chage from /etc/init.d scripts to, whatever it is know, and BTW
what the heck is it now, and why in the word make Ubuntu different than
other mainstream *NIX'es?

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-06-2009, 12:21 PM
stan
 
Default apt-get dist-upgrade, and X issues

On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 09:24:16PM -0800, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
> --- On Sat, 12/5/09, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > From: stan <stanb@panix.com>
> > Subject: Re: apt-get dist-upgrade, and X issues
> > To:
> > Cc: "User Mail List-Ubuntu" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> > Date: Saturday, December 5, 2009, 7:58 PM
> > On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 04:33:00PM
> > -0600, Leonard wrote:
> > >
> > > So, what did /var/log/Xorg.0.log say. That's the
> > important thing.?
> > > Especially anything about xkb.
> > >
> >
> >
> > X.Org X Server 1.6.4
> > Release Date: 2009-9-27
> > X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> > Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-23-server i686 Ubuntu
> > Current Operating System: Linux boo-boo 2.6.31-16-generic
>
>
> Interesting that you have this kernel image. I safe-upgraded today whinch installed the headers but there was no 2.6.31-16-generic kernel image. Just upgraded again and still no kernel. Did this come from a non-standard repo?

No, did you use dist-upgrade ? Or just upgrade?
>
>
> > #52-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 3 22:00:22 UTC 2009 i686
> Big Snip
> > (EE) config/hal: couldn't initialise context: unknown error
> > (null)
> The error above is the only thing I see wrong but I'm no expert. Based on that you might try reinstalling hal:
>
> sudo aptitude reinstall hal hal-info libhal-storage1 libhal1
> May not help but wont hurt to try. Some other things to try which I did but it didn't fix the issue long term:
>
> 1. Use the latest nvidia proprietary driver that supports you card. Do aptitude show nvidia and then do aptitude show<the next highest numbered driver from what you have installed>. Look through the show output to see if your driver is listed. If you find that a newer version of the driver supports your card then purge the old one and install the newest one. Be sure to install the kernel-source and libvdpau corresponding to the nvidia version you install and modaliases also.
>
> Since I don't know how you got the -16 lernel, I'd suggest you go to the -15 kernel to do all this and get the -15 kernel working first.
>
> 2. I've purged and reinstalled the -15 and nvidia driver several times. Each time it helps for a while but doesn't stay fixed.
>
> 3. Run nvidia-setings from K menu, check everything out, correct any obvious errors, save configuration and hopefully it will take you(suggest you run) nvidia-xconfig. It did for me and generated an old style xorg.conf that worked for a while.
>
> 4. If you goegle for nvidia+ubuntu+low res error you see and also for the config/hal error you reported you will get many hits but very few solutions. One thing I found was a solution for some but it seem it does something to evdev or udev, I forget, and caused you to manually mount external devices. The solution was to add this section to xorg.conf:
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
> Option "AllowEmptyInput" "false"
> EndSection
>
> See this link: http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/keine-tastatur-maus-mehr-nach-9-04-9-10/#post-2203271
>
>
> Also look at this:
> http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8404570
>
> Try at your own risk. I have not tried these myself. If you want to do some reading try googling:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=nvidia%2Bkarmic%2B(EE)+config%2Fhal %3A+couldn't+initialise+context%3A+unknown+error++ +(null)&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
>
> HTH, but it's about all I can suggest to try. Time for someone with greater insight to come on board.
>
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570@sbcglobal.net
>
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:47 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org