Old 12-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Thomas Hasseier

Default Cannot install Ubuntu on a MacBook

Hello everybody,

maybe there is someone who can give a hint to a newbie.

I'm trying to install Ubuntu or Kubuntu on a MacBook (Model 5,2 - Intel Core 2 Duo, 2,13 Ghz) and I fail.

I have loaded down the CD image and burned it on a CD. I've chosen the 64-bit version. When I start the MacBook from CD I get the starting screen, asking me to choose a language. I set the language to german and whatever option I choose afterwards e.g. "start from disk to leave the computer unchanged" or "install ubuntu" the cd-drive runs for about a minute, then it slows down and a little later it stops completely ... nothing happens anymore.

To make things worse, I regularly have trouble to restart the MacBook under OSX after trying to start or install Ubuntu.

MacOS recognizes the CD as a "Windows CD" in the systems setting "Start Volume"

Any idea what I could do to get Ubuntu installed on this MacBook ?

Greetings from Berlin/Germany
Thomas

Old 12-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Seth

After you boot to the CD and select your language, you have to press F6 and turn off ACPI.Apple Computer, It just works

Joan Crawford *- "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar. Everything I earn, I spend."

Old 12-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Jozsef

On Sat, 2009-12-05 at 10:45 -0700, Seth wrote:
> After you boot to the CD and select your language, you have to press
> F6 and turn off ACPI.
> Apple Computer, It just works
>

> Joan Crawford - "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar.
> Everything I earn, I spend."
>
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Thomas Hasseier
> <thomas.hasseier@mac.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> maybe there is someone who can give a hint to a newbie.
>
> I'm trying to install Ubuntu or Kubuntu on a MacBook (Model
> 5,2 - Intel Core 2 Duo, 2,13 Ghz) and I fail.
>
> I have loaded down the CD image and burned it on a CD. I've
> chosen the 64-bit version. When I start the MacBook from CD I
> get the starting screen, asking me to choose a language. I set
> the language to german and whatever option I choose afterwards
> e.g. "start from disk to leave the computer unchanged" or
> "install ubuntu" the cd-drive runs for about a minute, then it
> slows down and a little later it stops completely ... nothing
> happens anymore.
>
> To make things worse, I regularly have trouble to restart the
> MacBook under OSX after trying to start or install Ubuntu.
>
> MacOS recognizes the CD as a "Windows CD" in the systems
> setting "Start Volume"
>
> Any idea what I could do to get Ubuntu installed on this
> MacBook ?
>
> Greetings from Berlin/Germany
> Thomas

Also, try to burn the ISO image on DVD instead of CD.

--
Best,
Jozsef Kurucity | Web & Graphic Designer

Old 12-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Steve

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 17:40:36 -0000, Thomas Hasseier
<thomas.hasseier@mac.com> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> maybe there is someone who can give a hint to a newbie.
>
> I'm trying to install Ubuntu or Kubuntu on a MacBook (Model 5,2 - Intel
> Core 2 Duo, 2,13 Ghz) and I fail.
>
> I have loaded down the CD image and burned it on a CD. I've chosen the
> 64-bit version. When I start the MacBook from CD I get the starting
> screen, asking me to choose a language. I set the language to german and
> whatever option I choose afterwards e.g. "start from disk to leave the
> computer unchanged" or "install ubuntu" the cd-drive runs for about a
> minute, then it slows down and a little later it stops completely ...
> nothing happens anymore.
>
> To make things worse, I regularly have trouble to restart the MacBook
> under OSX after trying to start or install Ubuntu.
>
> MacOS recognizes the CD as a "Windows CD" in the systems setting "Start
> Volume"
>
> Any idea what I could do to get Ubuntu installed on this MacBook ?
>
> Greetings from Berlin/Germany
> Thomas

A useful tutorial
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MactelSupportTeam/AppleIntelInstallation