-   -   pulse audio networking (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/290915-pulse-audio-networking.html)

Alan McKay 12-05-2009 02:24 PM

pulse audio networking

Hey folks,

A friend told me about this feature of Pulse Audio and I didn't know
about it - that you could have all your Boxen on the network playing
the same audio source.

I'm trying to set that up right now. Google brought me here :

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio

But the info seems out of date. I do not have anything for Pulse
Audio under Applications -> Sound and Video, and I cannot find these
settings anywhere.

I'm running 9.10 (Karmic?)

thanks,
-Alan

Steve 12-05-2009 02:48 PM

pulse audio networking

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 15:24:18 -0000, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> A friend told me about this feature of Pulse Audio and I didn't know
> about it - that you could have all your Boxen on the network playing
> the same audio source.
>
> I'm trying to set that up right now. Google brought me here :
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio
>
> But the info seems out of date. I do not have anything for Pulse
> Audio under Applications -> Sound and Video, and I cannot find these
> settings anywhere.
>
> I'm running 9.10 (Karmic?)
>
> thanks,
> -Alan

You need to install paprefs (I think), which appears under System >
Preferences

--
Steve

NoOp 12-05-2009 05:57 PM

pulse audio networking

On 12/05/2009 07:24 AM, Alan McKay wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> A friend told me about this feature of Pulse Audio and I didn't know
> about it - that you could have all your Boxen on the network playing
> the same audio source.
>
> I'm trying to set that up right now. Google brought me here :
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio
>
> But the info seems out of date. I do not have anything for Pulse
> Audio under Applications -> Sound and Video, and I cannot find these
> settings anywhere.
>
> I'm running 9.10 (Karmic?)
>
> thanks,
> -Alan

$ sudo apt-get install padevchooser

You'll then be able to choose the default server/sink/etc. I use it all
the time for sound across my systems; they use the speaker system on a
primary system.

You might also find this of interest/use:
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup

Alan McKay 12-05-2009 06:33 PM

pulse audio networking

> You'll then be able to choose the default server/sink/etc. I use it all
> the time for sound across my systems; they use the speaker system on a
> primary system.
>
> You might also find this of interest/use:
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup

Cool, thanks. I'm just wiping out my wife's laptop now and replacing
CentOS 5.4 with Ubuntu 9.10 :-)

It will be a good test to see how well Ubuntu does on a laptop - took
me forever to get everything working on CentOS over there.

NoOp 12-05-2009 08:41 PM

pulse audio networking

On 12/05/2009 11:33 AM, Alan McKay wrote:
>> You'll then be able to choose the default server/sink/etc. I use it all
>> the time for sound across my systems; they use the speaker system on a
>> primary system.
>>
>> You might also find this of interest/use:
>> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
>
> Cool, thanks. I'm just wiping out my wife's laptop now and replacing
> CentOS 5.4 with Ubuntu 9.10 :-)
>
> It will be a good test to see how well Ubuntu does on a laptop - took
> me forever to get everything working on CentOS over there.

When you get to the stage that you want to output the sound from the
laptop to your system's speakers (or vs a vs) post back & I'll give you
the settings that I use to allow all of my test systems (without
speakers) to port their sound to my system with speakers attached.

Alan McKay 12-05-2009 08:48 PM

pulse audio networking

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 4:41 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> When you get to the stage that you want to output the sound from the
> laptop to your system's speakers (or vs a vs) post back & I'll give you
> the settings that I use to allow all of my test systems (without
> speakers) to port their sound to my system with speakers attached.

Well, I'm up and running again. Been reading some of the pulse audio
stuff but am not really sure what I'm doing yet :-) Just copying 35G
of data back over to my wife's laptop and installing Amarok (because
that's the best app I've seen - too bad it has to load KDE :-( )

Been playing with the Pulse Audio app on both ends and do not seem to
be able to get them to see each other yet.

NoOp 12-05-2009 11:22 PM

pulse audio networking

On 12/05/2009 01:48 PM, Alan McKay wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 4:41 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> When you get to the stage that you want to output the sound from the
>> laptop to your system's speakers (or vs a vs) post back & I'll give you
>> the settings that I use to allow all of my test systems (without
>> speakers) to port their sound to my system with speakers attached.
>
> Well, I'm up and running again. Been reading some of the pulse audio
> stuff but am not really sure what I'm doing yet :-) Just copying 35G
> of data back over to my wife's laptop and installing Amarok (because
> that's the best app I've seen - too bad it has to load KDE :-( )
>
> Been playing with the Pulse Audio app on both ends and do not seem to
> be able to get them to see each other yet.

All are from PulseAudio Device Chooser;

1. Make sure that sound is working the target/main machine. Then open
Applications|Sound...|PulseAudio Device Chooser. Set the preferences:

o On the target, check
- Show notifications for discovered sources
- Start applet on sesson_login

o On the source, check everything except "Don't show notifications
during startup

2. On the target select 'Configure local sound server|Network Server'
and check everything except 'Make local sound...', then on Multicast/RTP
click only 'Enable Multicast/RTP receiver'.

3. On the sender select 'Configure local sound server|Network Access'
and check 'Make discoverable PulseAudio network sound devices available
locally', and on Multicast/RTP: Enable Multicast/RTP receiver, sender,
and 'Create separate audio device for Multicast/RTP.

Note: you'll need to ensure that both machines are on the same subnet to
test without more details.

4. On the sender; Default Server should eventually pick up the target -
it will be above 'Default' and 'Other'. Click on the target & test by
playing a sound file (rhythmbox works just fine). You can adjust the
sound levels etc., by Volume Control & the sender can go back to their
own speakers by deselecting the discovered server & selecting the
default server (you'll need to stop & restart the app (rhythmbox etc)
for the changes to take effect.

Alan McKay 12-05-2009 11:38 PM

pulse audio networking

Cool - have it going

Thanks for that!

OK, next question - is it possible to have the sound coming out of
BOTH PCs at the same time?

NoOp 12-05-2009 11:40 PM

pulse audio networking

On 12/05/2009 04:38 PM, Alan McKay wrote:
> Cool - have it going
>
> Thanks for that!
>
> OK, next question - is it possible to have the sound coming out of
> BOTH PCs at the same time?

Yes. But I leave that as an exercise for the remainder of your weekend :-)

Alan McKay 12-05-2009 11:54 PM

pulse audio networking

> Yes. But I leave that as an exercise for the remainder of your weekend :-)

:-)

I have to do some reading ... well on my way