-   -   Cannot upate - Connection Error 111 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/290859-cannot-upate-connection-error-111-a.html)

Rafiq Hajat 12-05-2009 11:08 AM

Cannot upate - Connection Error 111

Hello,
I'm using Hardy 8.04 and have recently encountered an error message
whenever I try to update:
Connection error 111 which seems to apply to firewalls & proxies, but
I'm not using either.
As a relative, but enthusiastic newbie, I would be grateful for any
advice/guidance that would resolve my quandary.

Rafiq Hajat
www.ipimalawi.org

NoOp 12-05-2009 06:12 PM

On 12/05/2009 04:08 AM, Rafiq Hajat wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm using Hardy 8.04 and have recently encountered an error message
> whenever I try to update:
> Connection error 111 which seems to apply to firewalls & proxies, but
> I'm not using either.
> As a relative, but enthusiastic newbie, I would be grateful for any
> advice/guidance that would resolve my quandary.
>
> Rafiq Hajat
> www.ipimalawi.org

What is the _exact_ error message you are getting?

NoOp 12-06-2009 09:21 PM

On 12/05/2009 11:12 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/05/2009 04:08 AM, Rafiq Hajat wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm using Hardy 8.04 and have recently encountered an error message
>> whenever I try to update:
>> Connection error 111 which seems to apply to firewalls & proxies, but
>> I'm not using either.
>> As a relative, but enthusiastic newbie, I would be grateful for any
>> advice/guidance that would resolve my quandary.
>
> What is the _exact_ error message you are getting?

Rafiq, please keep your responses in the same thread rather than
starting a new thread. From your other thread (Connection Error 11):

> Hi,
> the error message is a follows:
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy-backports/universe/i18n/Translation-en_US.bz2 Could not connect to localhost:4001 (127.0.0.1). - connect (111 Connection refused)
>
> W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> ones used instead.

It appears that you are running a proxy. Do you have anon-proxy
installed and/or do you have a proxy set in System|Preferences|Network
Proxy?

Also check:
<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&source=hp&q="Could+not+con nect+to+localhost%3A4001+(127.0.0.1)"&btnG=Google+ Search>

Rafiq Hajat 12-07-2009 08:11 AM

Cannot upate - Connection Error 111

Please keep your responses in the "Cannot upate - Connection Error 111"
thread rather than starting a new thread for your responses.

Oops...sorry about that...I'm very new to all this and it was an
inadvertent error. My apologies
Rafiq Hajat
Executive Director
The Institute for Policy Interaction (IPI)
P. O. Box E14,
Post Dot Net - Blantyre
Malawi
Mobile: +265 999 968800
www.ipimalawi.org

Rafiq Hajat 12-07-2009 08:14 AM

Cannot upate - Connection Error 111

It appears that you are running a proxy. Do you have anon-proxy
installed and/or do you have a proxy set in System|Preferences|Network
Proxy?
Nope...I don't have any proxies enabled - as far as I can tell. How do I
check whether anon-proxy's installed?

Also check:
<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&source=hp&q="Could+not
+connect+to+localhost%3A4001+(127.0.0.1)"&btnG=Goo gle+Search>

Thanks...willdo