-   -   Disable USB port for mass storage (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/290857-disable-usb-port-mass-storage.html)

Arun Shrimali 12-05-2009 10:11 AM

Disable USB port for mass storage

Dear All,
I was using few PCs with Ubuntu 8.10, for the security reasons their
USB ports were disabled with the following method ;

1. Press Alt+F2 and enter:
polkit-gnome-authorization
2. Go to Storage => Mount file systems from removable drivers
3. Press the "Edit..." button
4. Choose "Active Console: Authentication"
5. Press the "Modify..." button

Now with the upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10, above procedure is not working as
policy toolkit was not in default installation and even after
installing policykit-gnome, about method is not working as could not
find option for removable drives.

Is there any way in 9.10, I can disable USB ports for mass storages ??

Thanks

Arun

Arun Shrimali 12-23-2009 04:29 AM

Disable USB port for mass storage

Can anybody help me how to disable usb ports for mass storages (pen
/thumb drives) in Ubuntu 9.10

Arun

Werner Schram 12-23-2009 08:45 AM

Disable USB port for mass storage

Hi Arun,

Arun Shrimali wrote:
> Can anybody help me how to disable usb ports for mass storages (pen
> /thumb drives) in Ubuntu 9.10
>
> Arun
>
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Arun Shrimali <arun.reso@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>> I was using few PCs with Ubuntu 8.10, for the security reasons their
>> USB ports were disabled with the following method ;
>>
>> 1. Press Alt+F2 and enter:
>> polkit-gnome-authorization
>> 2. Go to Storage => Mount file systems from removable drivers
>> 3. Press the "Edit..." button
>> 4. Choose "Active Console: Authentication"
>> 5. Press the "Modify..." button
>>
>> Now with the upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10, above procedure is not working as
>> policy toolkit was not in default installation and even after
>> installing policykit-gnome, about method is not working as could not
>> find option for removable drives.
>>
>> Is there any way in 9.10, I can disable USB ports for mass storages ??

In system->administration->users and groups (after installing
policykit-gnome), you can disable the 'access external storage devices
automatically' option for specific users. I don't know how to do this
for every user, or how to set this as the default policy. You could also
blacklist the usb-storage module, but that method doesn't allow
exceptions, which might be wanted.

Regards,
Werner

Arun Shrimali 12-24-2009 04:28 AM

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Werner Schram <wrschram@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Arun,
>
> Arun Shrimali wrote:
>> Can anybody help me how to disable usb ports for mass storages (pen
>> /thumb drives) in Ubuntu 9.10
>>
>> Arun
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Arun Shrimali <arun.reso@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>> I was using few PCs with Ubuntu 8.10, for the security reasons their
>>> USB ports were disabled with the following method ;
>>>
>>> 1. Press Alt+F2 and enter:
>>> polkit-gnome-authorization
>>> 2. Go to Storage => Mount file systems from removable drivers
>>> 3. Press the "Edit..." button
>>> 4. Choose "Active Console: Authentication"
>>> 5. Press the "Modify..." button
>>>
>>> Now with the upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10, above procedure is not working as
>>> policy toolkit was not in default installation and even after
>>> installing policykit-gnome, about method is not working as could not
>>> find option for removable drives.
>>>
>>> Is there any way in 9.10, I can disable USB ports for mass storages ??
>>>
> In system->administration->users and groups (after installing
> policykit-gnome), you can disable the 'access external storage devices
> automatically' option for specific users. I don't know how to do this
> for every user, or how to set this as the default policy. You could also
> blacklist the usb-storage module, but that method doesn't allow
> exceptions, which might be wanted.
>
> Regards,
> Werner

Thanks for the support

Arun Shrimali 01-18-2011 05:41 AM

Disable USB port for Mass Storage

Dear All,

We are using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS for our desktops user. For the data security, I want to disable the USB ports for mass storage. Thus I am following

System -> Administration -> user and groups

user -> advance setting (authenticate) -> user privileges -> uncheck - Access external storage devices automatically

But unfortunatly it is not working, even after this, as soon as user attach pen drive can easily, even automatically access the device.

can anybody help me how to disable usb mass storage devices in Ubuntu 10.04

regards

Arun

Arun Shrimali 01-18-2011 07:14 AM

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 1:16 PM, निशांत / Nishant <nishantsharma.in@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pl give me the steps how can I do that.

> modprobe -r usb_storage

Using above command will work until you reboot the machine.

For a permanent solution edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and add following line:

blacklist usb_storage

then save and reboot.

regards,

Nishant

Thanks, its working
Step 1. #modprobe -r usb_storage
Step 2 (for permanent solution) edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
*and add following line at the end:

blacklist usb_storage

To again start the USB port for mass storage
undo step 2
restart pc

Thanks to nishant and jkhatri
Arun

Arun Shrimali 01-18-2011 08:47 AM

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Arun Shrimali <arun.reso@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 2:40 PM, निशांत / Nishant <nishantsharma.in@gmail.com> wrote:

> To again start the USB port for mass storage

> undo step 2

> restart pc

You actually don't need to re-start PC. Simply do "modprobe -v

usb_storage" and it should start working again.

-Nishant

As far as other devices is concern, after blacklisting usb_storage
my printer is working fine and that's what I want to do* ...

thanks again

Arun

But why through gnome interface it is not working properly, if ubuntu is listening please make the bug fixing.

Arun