Old 12-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Patrick Drechsler

Default execute script after (auto)mounting external device

Hi,

I would like to execute a script after a certain external device has
been (auto)mounted.

What would be the best way to do this?

Thankful for any pointers,

Patrick

$ uname -a
Linux golem2 2.6.31-15-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 10 14:53:52 UTC
2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Old 12-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Steve

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 23:42:32 -0000, Patrick Drechsler
<patrick@pdrechsler.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to execute a script after a certain external device has
> been (auto)mounted.
>
> What would be the best way to do this?
>
> Thankful for any pointers,
>
> Patrick
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux golem2 2.6.31-15-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 10 14:53:52 UTC
> 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Have you looked at System > Preferences > Removable Drives and Media

--
Steve

Old 12-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Patrick Drechsler

Steve wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 23:42:32 -0000, Patrick Drechsler
> <patrick@pdrechsler.de> wrote:
>> I would like to execute a script after a certain external device has
>> been (auto)mounted.
>>
>> What would be the best way to do this?
>>
>> Thankful for any pointers,
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> $ uname -a
>> Linux golem2 2.6.31-15-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 10 14:53:52 UTC
>> 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>

> Have you looked at System > Preferences > Removable Drives and Media

Thanks for the pointer, Steve!

But I do not have that entry under System > Preferences.

My system is a clean install of 9.10 amd64. Do I have to install an
additional package to see this entry? If so: which package do I have to
install?

Regards, Patrick

Old 12-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Steve

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 00:15:02 -0000, Patrick Drechsler
<patrick@pdrechsler.de> wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 23:42:32 -0000, Patrick Drechsler
>> <patrick@pdrechsler.de> wrote:
>>> I would like to execute a script after a certain external device has
>>> been (auto)mounted.
>>>
>>> What would be the best way to do this?
>>>
>>> Thankful for any pointers,
>>>
>>> Patrick
>>>
>>> $ uname -a
>>> Linux golem2 2.6.31-15-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 10 14:53:52 UTC
>>> 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>>

>> Have you looked at System > Preferences > Removable Drives and Media
>
> Thanks for the pointer, Steve!
>
> But I do not have that entry under System > Preferences.
>
> My system is a clean install of 9.10 amd64. Do I have to install an
> additional package to see this entry? If so: which package do I have to
> install?
>
> Regards, Patrick

Mine isn’t a clean install so I’m not sure if it should be there.
It’s gnome-volume-manager

--
Steve

Old 12-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Markus Schnhaber

05.12.2009 01:15, Patrick Drechsler:

> Steve wrote:

>> Have you looked at System > Preferences > Removable Drives and Media

> But I do not have that entry under System > Preferences.

In a nautilus (file browser) window go to Edit > Preferences and select
the Media tab.

--
Regards
mks

Old 12-04-2009, 11:31 PM
NoOp

On 12/04/2009 04:25 PM, Steve wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 00:15:02 -0000, Patrick Drechsler
>>> Have you looked at System > Preferences > Removable Drives and Media
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer, Steve!
>>
>> But I do not have that entry under System > Preferences.
>>
>> My system is a clean install of 9.10 amd64. Do I have to install an
>> additional package to see this entry? If so: which package do I have to
>> install?
>>
>> Regards, Patrick
>>

> Mine isn’t a clean install so I’m not sure if it should be there.
> It’s gnome-volume-manager

It's been moved to universe since hardy (not sure why):
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/gnome-volume-manager
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-volume-manager
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-volume-manager/+bugs

Old 12-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Tom H

>>> Thanks for the pointer, Steve!
>>>
>>> But I do not have that entry under System > Preferences.
>>>
>>> My system is a clean install of 9.10 amd64. Do I have to install an
>>> additional package to see this entry? If so: which package do I have to
>>> install?
>>>
>>> Regards, Patrick
>>>

>> Mine isn’t a clean install so I’m not sure if it should be there.
>> It’s gnome-volume-manager
>>

> It's been moved to universe since hardy (not sure why):
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/gnome-volume-manager
>*https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-volume-manager
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-volume-manager/+bugs

gnome-volume-manager has not been used since Hardy (not that this
answers the OP's question...)

Old 12-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Patrick Drechsler

Markus Schnhaber wrote:
> 05.12.2009 01:15, Patrick Drechsler:
>> Steve wrote:
>>> Have you looked at System > Preferences > Removable Drives and Media
>
>> But I do not have that entry under System > Preferences.
>
> In a nautilus (file browser) window go to Edit > Preferences and select
> the Media tab.

Thanks for the pointer, Markus! I found the menu (thanks, didn't know that).

But there are only about a dozen choices for "Type" in that menu (I have
a German local, so the entry is called "Sonstige Datentrger"; probably
something like "Additional devices" in English). My type would be
"TrueCrypt-Partition-From-USB-Stick-A". I wouldn't mind configuring my
post-mount script from the command line.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Patrick

Old 12-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Patrick Drechsler

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/04/2009 04:25 PM, Steve wrote:
>> On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 00:15:02 -0000, Patrick Drechsler
>>> Thanks for the pointer, Steve!
>>>
>>> But I do not have that entry under System > Preferences.
>>>
>>> My system is a clean install of 9.10 amd64. Do I have to install an
>>> additional package to see this entry? If so: which package do I have to
>>> install?
>>>
>>> Regards, Patrick
>>>

>> Mine isn’t a clean install so I’m not sure if it should be there.
>> It’s gnome-volume-manager
>>

> It's been moved to universe since hardy (not sure why):
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/gnome-volume-manager
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-volume-manager
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-volume-manager/+bugs

Thanks Steve and NoOp for the pointer!

I will have a look at this solution. I first have to figure why this
package has been removed from Koala. I don't want gnome-volume-manager
to clash with the rest of gnome/nautilus....

Regards,

Patrick

Old 12-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Patrick Drechsler

Tom H wrote:

>>> Mine isn’t a clean install so I’m not sure if it should be there.
>>> It’s gnome-volume-manager
>>>
>> It's been moved to universe since hardy (not sure why):
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/gnome-volume-manager
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-volume-manager
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-volume-manager/+bugs
>
> gnome-volume-manager has not been used since Hardy (not that this
> answers the OP's question...)

Ah, but it does prevent me from digging into the question why it has
been removed. If it's been deprecated that long, I won't bother looking
into it.

Thanks for this "small" detail Tom!

Regards,

Patrick