Old 12-04-2009, 07:57 PM
NoOp

Default How do I report this CUPS problem (in Ubuntu 9.10 CUPS configuration)?

On 12/04/2009 12:18 PM, Chris G wrote:
> I have found that there's a problem with the Ubuntu 9.10 CUPS
> configuration, it has messed up the default font and font size for
> command line lp/lpr.
>
> The CUPS 1.3.9 in Ubuntu 9.04 works fine whereas the CUPS 1.4.1 in
> Ubuntu 9.10 gets the default font for lp/lpr wrong and ignores any
> attempt to change the font size.
>
> I got in touch with the CUPS developers and I have a quick and nasty
> workaround which is to comment out the "text/plain" line in
> /usr/share/cups/mime/texttopdf.convs.
>
> What the CUPS developer said to me was (with some context from the
> exchange) :-

> >> This is the problem. Please report this to the Ubuntu folks - they
> need to fix their text f ilter.
> >>
> > Is there a workaround I can apply to fix the immediate problem? (I'm
> > happy to edit config files, change scripts and even compile stuff if
> > necessary)
>
> Look for a *.convs file in /usr/share/cups/mime or /etc/cups that has
> "texttopdf" in it. Comment out any lines that refer to this filter and restart cupsd.
>
> > ... and what do I report to the Ubuntu people exactly, I can hardly
> > just copy the above line to them! :-)
>
> They need to support the standard CUPS text options documented here:
>
> http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/options.php
>

> Who/what/where should I report this issue?

See:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage

$ ubuntu-bug cups

If you are unfamiliar with launchpad; you'll first need to create an
account/register (upper right hand corner of the page) before you
'ubuntu-bug cups':
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups
I also recommend that you search those 303 results to see if perhaps
your bug has already been reported. Enter your search term(s) in the box
next to "by importance". For example:

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups?field.searchtext=lpr&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&f ield.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field. status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.st atus%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED& field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist =FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=& field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_ package=>

485665 looks to be a candidate:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/485665
[lpr prints text too large, can only fit 47 characters per line]
Read through the bug & see if it is. If so, then instead of using
'ubuntu-bug cups', login and add your comments to the bug report.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:07 PM
James Michael Fultz

* Chris G <cl@isbd.net> [2009-12-04 20:18 +0000]:
> I have found that there's a problem with the Ubuntu 9.10 CUPS
> configuration, it has messed up the default font and font size for
> command line lp/lpr.
>
> The CUPS 1.3.9 in Ubuntu 9.04 works fine whereas the CUPS 1.4.1 in
> Ubuntu 9.10 gets the default font for lp/lpr wrong and ignores any
> attempt to change the font size.
>
> I got in touch with the CUPS developers and I have a quick and nasty
> workaround which is to comment out the "text/plain" line in
> /usr/share/cups/mime/texttopdf.convs.

[...]

Old 12-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Chris G

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 12:57:49PM -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/04/2009 12:18 PM, Chris G wrote:
> > I have found that there's a problem with the Ubuntu 9.10 CUPS
> > configuration, it has messed up the default font and font size for
> > command line lp/lpr.
> >
> > The CUPS 1.3.9 in Ubuntu 9.04 works fine whereas the CUPS 1.4.1 in
> > Ubuntu 9.10 gets the default font for lp/lpr wrong and ignores any
> > attempt to change the font size.
> >
> > I got in touch with the CUPS developers and I have a quick and nasty
> > workaround which is to comment out the "text/plain" line in
> > /usr/share/cups/mime/texttopdf.convs.
> >
> > What the CUPS developer said to me was (with some context from the
> > exchange) :-

> > need to fix their text f ilter.
> > >>
> > > Is there a workaround I can apply to fix the immediate problem? (I'm
> > > happy to edit config files, change scripts and even compile stuff if
> > > necessary)
> >
> > Look for a *.convs file in /usr/share/cups/mime or /etc/cups that has
> > "texttopdf" in it. Comment out any lines that refer to this filter and restart cupsd.
> >
> > > ... and what do I report to the Ubuntu people exactly, I can hardly
> > > just copy the above line to them! :-)
> >
> > They need to support the standard CUPS text options documented here:
> >
> > http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/options.php
> >

> > Who/what/where should I report this issue?
>
> See:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage
>
> $ ubuntu-bug cups
>
> If you are unfamiliar with launchpad; you'll first need to create an
> account/register (upper right hand corner of the page) before you
> 'ubuntu-bug cups':
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups
> I also recommend that you search those 303 results to see if perhaps
> your bug has already been reported. Enter your search term(s) in the box
> next to "by importance". For example:
>
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups?field.searchtext=lpr&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&f ield.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field. status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.st atus%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED& field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist =FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=& field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_ package=>
>
> 485665 looks to be a candidate:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/485665
> [lpr prints text too large, can only fit 47 characters per line]
> Read through the bug & see if it is. If so, then instead of using
> 'ubuntu-bug cups', login and add your comments to the bug report.

Yes, that looks like the bug, thanks. I'll append my information.

--
Chris Green