-   -   9.1 a candidate for LTS? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/290623-9-1-candidate-lts.html)

12-04-2009 07:06 PM

9.1 a candidate for LTS?

Is 9.1 going to replace 8.04/8.1 for long term service, or will 10.X
be the next version for LTS?

Thanks,

John

--

John Conover, conover@rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/

drew einhorn 12-04-2009 07:10 PM

9.1 a candidate for LTS?

See: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:06 PM, John Conover <conover@rahul.net> wrote:

Is 9.1 going to replace 8.04/8.1 for long term service, or will 10.X

be the next version for LTS?

* Thanks,

* John

--

John Conover, conover@rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/

Drew Einhorn

sdavmor 12-04-2009 07:13 PM

9.1 a candidate for LTS?

John Conover wrote:
> Is 9.1 going to replace 8.04/8.1 for long term service, or will 10.X
> be the next version for LTS?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

9.10 should be the LTS replacement for 8.04. And then 11.04, 12.10,
14.04, 15.10, etc.
Systems Theory music project: <www.systemstheory.net>
on GarageBand: <www.garageband.com/systemstheory>
on CDBaby: <www.cdbaby.com/all/systemstheory>
get our MP3s free at <www.mikedickson.org.uk/codetalkers>
NP: nowt

Preston Hagar 12-04-2009 07:31 PM

9.1 a candidate for LTS?

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 2:13 PM, sdavmor <sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:
> 9.10 should be the LTS replacement for 8.04. *And then 11.04, 12.10,
> 14.04, 15.10, etc.
> --

That is incorrect. 10.4 (Lucid Lynx) will be the next LTS (the
replacement for (8.04)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

Preston

Pastor JW 12-04-2009 09:44 PM

9.1 a candidate for LTS?

On Friday 04 December 2009 12:10:06 pm drew einhorn wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:06 PM, John Conover <conover@rahul.net> wrote:
> > Is 9.1 going to replace 8.04/8.1 for long term service, or will 10.X
> > be the next version for LTS?

10.04 will be the next LTS and was known it would be since 8.04. They are
released on a two year cycle. I'm currently on 8.04 and will update when
10.04 is a couple weeks old since I work on the computer and LTS is much more
likely to be stable.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

sdavmor 12-04-2009 10:43 PM

9.1 a candidate for LTS?

Pastor JW wrote:
> On Friday 04 December 2009 12:10:06 pm drew einhorn wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:06 PM, John Conover <conover@rahul.net>
>> wrote:
>>> Is 9.1 going to replace 8.04/8.1 for long term service, or will
>>> 10.X be the next version for LTS?
>
> 10.04 will be the next LTS and was known it would be since 8.04.
> They are released on a two year cycle. I'm currently on 8.04 and
> will update when 10.04 is a couple weeks old since I work on the
> computer and LTS is much more likely to be stable.

My bad. I was under the impression LTS was every 18 months.

Jatin Davey 12-07-2009 04:51 AM

9.1 a candidate for LTS?

sdavmor wrote:
> Pastor JW wrote:
>
>> On Friday 04 December 2009 12:10:06 pm drew einhorn wrote:

>> 10.04 will be the next LTS and was known it would be since 8.04.
>> They are released on a two year cycle. I'm currently on 8.04 and
>> will update when 10.04 is a couple weeks old since I work on the
>> computer and LTS is much more likely to be stable.
>>

> My bad. I was under the impression LTS was every 18 months.

Apologies for my ignorance , I am a new Ubuntu user. Curious to know
what this LTS release is ?
I thought the ubuntu 9.10 release was the stable release. Could some one
please explain why is there two seperate release such as 9.10 or 10.4 in
the future which is said to be stable one. Could some one explain the
reasoning behind these different releases. Pointers to it would also help.

Thanks
Jatin

Pastor JW 12-07-2009 06:25 AM

9.1 a candidate for LTS?

On Sunday 06 December 2009 9:51:17 pm Jatin Davey wrote:
> sdavmor wrote:
> > Pastor JW wrote:
> >>
> >> 10.04 will be the next LTS and was known it would be since 8.04.
> >> They are released on a two year cycle. I'm currently on 8.04 and
> >> will update when 10.04 is a couple weeks old since I work on the
> >> computer and LTS is much more likely to be stable.
> >
> > My bad. I was under the impression LTS was every 18 months.
>
> Apologies for my ignorance , I am a new Ubuntu user. Curious to know
> what this LTS release is ?
> I thought the ubuntu 9.10 release was the stable release. Could some one
> please explain why is there two seperate release such as 9.10 or 10.4 in
> the future which is said to be stable one. Could some one explain the
> reasoning behind these different releases. Pointers to it would also help.

This url should give you the reasoning behind it https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS
but really there is only the difference as to how long the release will be
actively updated and bugfixed. If you change every release of course you
will always be right out in front. Of course, every 6 months is too often to
change systems for some of us who need our machines working everyday so the
longer term for updating is more manageable for us. So far you can go
directly from one LTS version to the next without having to go through every
release on the way up which also is a nice feature for busy people!
Curiosity is a good thing, how else does one find out the reasons behind why
things are as they are?!!

Jatin Davey 12-07-2009 08:22 AM

9.1 a candidate for LTS?

Pastor JW wrote:
> On Sunday 06 December 2009 9:51:17 pm Jatin Davey wrote:
>
>> sdavmor wrote:

>>> My bad. I was under the impression LTS was every 18 months.
>>>
>> Apologies for my ignorance , I am a new Ubuntu user. Curious to know
>> what this LTS release is ?
>> I thought the ubuntu 9.10 release was the stable release. Could some one
>> please explain why is there two seperate release such as 9.10 or 10.4 in
>> the future which is said to be stable one. Could some one explain the
>> reasoning behind these different releases. Pointers to it would also help.
>>

> This url should give you the reasoning behind it https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS
> but really there is only the difference as to how long the release will be
> actively updated and bugfixed. If you change every release of course you
> will always be right out in front. Of course, every 6 months is too often to
> change systems for some of us who need our machines working everyday so the
> longer term for updating is more manageable for us. So far you can go
> directly from one LTS version to the next without having to go through every
> release on the way up which also is a nice feature for busy people!
> Curiosity is a good thing, how else does one find out the reasons behind why
> things are as they are?!!

Thanks Pastor.

Thanks
Jatin

NoOp 12-07-2009 03:56 PM

9.1 a candidate for LTS?

On 12/07/2009 01:22 AM, Jatin Davey wrote:
> Pastor JW wrote:
>>
>> This url should give you the reasoning behind it https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS
> Thanks Pastor.

These might also be of interest: