Old 12-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Liam Proven

Default Re-instating the graphical boot sequence after imaging

I'm experimenting with different ways of duplicating an installed
system. For now, it's 9.04 & I will probably skip 9.10 & the whole
scary business with GRUB2 and so on and go straight to 10.04LTS next
year.

If I copy the whole disk with G4L and "Click'n'clone", it works fine -
but this copies all the blocks, even empty ones, so it takes 45min-1hr
to copy an 80GB disk with 5GB of data on it. Not ideal.

If I use Gparted, it still copies empty space. If I resize the
partitions to minimum size, copy them, then expand them, it only takes
10min to duplicate a disk, but then, the graphical bootloader stops
working. I get the initial "bouncing bar" animation as the kernel
boots, then all the Linux text messages display as the machine goes
through init and so on. The same happens if I copy from Windows using
Acronis.

I tried making an image with Partimage but it seems unable to store &
restore swap partitions, making restoration a more complex, 2-step
process.

If I use Clonezilla, even Grub's graphical menu disappears and I get
the ugly old text-mode menu.

Is there a quick efficient way to clone an Ubuntu system & preserve
the graphical boot sequence? If not, how does one re-install the
graphical bootloader after imaging?

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Old 12-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Brian McKee

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a quick efficient way to clone an Ubuntu system & preserve
> the graphical boot sequence?
Mondoarchive. Use the version from the website rather than the one shipped.
It'll keep the boot screen assuming the new hardware supports it.

Brian

Old 12-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Liam Proven

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there a quick efficient way to clone an Ubuntu system & preserve
>> the graphical boot sequence?
> Mondoarchive. *Use the version from the website rather than the one shipped.
> It'll keep the boot screen assuming the new hardware supports it.

Hmm. Never even heard of that one before, probably because it looks
more like a backup/restore tool than a disk-imaging/disk-duplication
one. Thanks, I will take a look!

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508