Old 12-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Patrick Doyle

Default Package spelunking

Suppose I wanted to find out what files were installed by a particular
package. I know I can do

$ dpkg -L <packagename>

if the package is already installed, but how would I do this if a
particular package isn't installed?

I don't see any options like this in apt-get or apt-cache.

--wpd

Old 12-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Loïc Grenié

2009/12/4 Patrick Doyle <wpdster@gmail.com>:
> Suppose I wanted to find out what files were installed by a particular
> package. *I know I can do
>
> $ dpkg -L <packagename>
>
> if the package is already installed, but how would I do this if a
> particular package isn't installed?
>
> I don't see any options like this in apt-get or apt-cache.

You'll need to install apt-file.

Loïc

Old 12-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Tom H

> Suppose I wanted to find out what files were installed by a particular
> package. *I know I can do
>
> $ dpkg -L <packagename>
>
> if the package is already installed, but how would I do this if a
> particular package isn't installed?
>
> I don't see any options like this in apt-get or apt-cache.

You have to install apt-file.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Patrick Doyle

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Suppose I wanted to find out what files were installed by a particular
>> package. *I know I can do
>>
>> $ dpkg -L <packagename>
>>
>> if the package is already installed, but how would I do this if a
>> particular package isn't installed?
>>
>> I don't see any options like this in apt-get or apt-cache.
>
> You have to install apt-file.
That's the one I was looking for. Thanks!

Now I can go back to that other thread that got me wondering about
this... watch for me to sound like an expert now :-)

--wpd

Old 12-04-2009, 06:35 PM
James Tappin

Or use the Ubuntu packages site http://packages.ubuntu.com/

Old 12-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Patrick Doyle

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 2:35 PM, James Tappin <sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk> wrote:
> 2009/12/4 Patrick Doyle <wpdster@gmail.com>:
> > Suppose I wanted to find out what files were installed by a particular
> > package.
>
> Or use the Ubuntu packages site http://packages.ubuntu.com/
I couldn't figure out how to list the files in a particular package
from that site. Plus, when I'm on the train, I don't always have
access to the internet.

--wpd

Old 12-09-2009, 09:14 PM
James Tappin

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:52:11 -0500
Patrick Doyle <wpdster@gmail.com> wrote:

PD> > Or use the Ubuntu packages site http://packages.ubuntu.com/

PD> I couldn't figure out how to list the files in a particular package
PD> from that site. Plus, when I'm on the train, I don't always have
PD> access to the internet.

For the sake of completeness:
1) Search for the package in any of the search boxes.
2) Click on the release name to get the package details.
3) The list of files can then be accessed from the download box at the bottom of the page.