Old 12-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Default Importance of ubuntu-desktop

04.12.2009 16:53, Steve:

> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 13:23:22 -0000, Markus Schönhaber
>
>> 04.12.2009 11:28, Steve:
>>
>>> ubuntu0desktop isn’t required and can safely be removed
>>
>> I was about to shout "NO!". And looking at the output of
>> aptitude show ubuntu-desktop
>> seems to back this up:
>> [...]
>> | This package depends on all of the packages in the Ubuntu desktop
>> system
>> |
>> | It is also used to help ensure proper upgrades, so it is recommended
>> that it not be removed.
>>
>> OTOH, it also shows:
>> | Package: ubuntu-desktop
>> | State: not installed
>>
>> I see this on a clean install of a 9.10 Ubuntu Desktop. What gives?
>>
> I assume you have removed something that has taken ubuntu-desktop with it,
> as I have.

No, it's a relatively fresh Karmic installation from which I haven't yet
uninstalled anything.

The explanation is much simpler: aptitude's output I posted above is,
although correct, completely irrelevant nonsense wrt the topic, since it
was run on a Karmic *server* I was ssh'ed into. This happens when you
have fifteen shells open and lose the overview.
Sorry for the confusion.

> Interestinglg under Dapper it said the following:-
>

> This package depends on all of the packages in the Ubuntu desktop system
>
> It is safe to remove this package if some of the desktop system packages
> are not desired. However, it is recommended that you keep it installed,
> because it is used to carry out certain upgrade transitions (such as
> adding new packages to the system).
>
> from Hardy onwards it’s as above.

OK, it indeed seems that removing ubuntu-desktop is something which
should only be done if you know what you're doing and you can make sure
you remember what you did before you upgrade the system.

--
Regards
mks

Old 12-04-2009, 04:28 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 18:21:06 +0100
Markus Schnhaber <ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de> wrote:

> OK, it indeed seems that removing ubuntu-desktop is something which
> should only be done if you know what you're doing and you can make
> sure you remember what you did before you upgrade the system.

I don't think that is so as long as you remember to re-install
ubuntu-desktop before you upgrade again.

If you forget you won't get the full Ubuntu experience with your
upgraded system but it shouldn't break anything.

In fact, my recent upgrade right through Ibex and Jackalope to Karmic
went very smoothly, even though I /did/ forget to re-install
ubuntu-desktop beforehand. Days later, noticing my error, I
re-installed it and it pulled in all the goodness that I had first
missed.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 12-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Markus Schnhaber

04.12.2009 18:28, Cybe R. Wizard:

> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 18:21:06 +0100
> Markus Schnhaber <ubuntu-users@list-post.mks-mail.de> wrote:
>
>> OK, it indeed seems that removing ubuntu-desktop is something which
>> should only be done if you know what you're doing and you can make
>> sure you remember what you did before you upgrade the system.
>
> I don't think that is so as long as you remember to re-install
> ubuntu-desktop before you upgrade again.

Yep, that's what I meant.

> If you forget you won't get the full Ubuntu experience with your
> upgraded system but it shouldn't break anything.

IMO that is the important question.
I don't know what update-manager does that goes beyond changing
sources.list and doing something like apt-get dist-upgrade.
Without additional info I think it's at least possible that in some
situations a missing gnome-desktop might break something during the upgrade.
The point is, I do not know for sure that it will not break something.

> In fact, my recent upgrade right through Ibex and Jackalope to Karmic
> went very smoothly, even though I /did/ forget to re-install
> ubuntu-desktop beforehand. Days later, noticing my error, I
> re-installed it and it pulled in all the goodness that I had first
> missed.

I see two possibilities why this worked smoothly for you:
1. It will always work that way.
2. You were lucky.
As long as I don't know which one is true, I'd rather not recommend to
ignore the recommendation of the packet maintainer.

Moreover I'd consider it likely that the average user will not connect
missing packages after an upgrade to the removal of ubuntu-desktop
months ago. I'd rather expect to see some more "x.y is the worst Ubuntu
release EVER!1!11!!" posts.

But, of course, it's everyone's own choice what he does or does not do.

--
Regards
mks

Old 12-04-2009, 08:41 PM
frank

> Moreover I'd consider it likely that the average user will not connect
> missing packages after an upgrade to the removal of ubuntu-desktop
> months ago.

Sure, but really there is no need to wait for upgrades to experience
trouble. I removed cups in ubuntu 8.10. Result: lengthy useless repair
efforts and a clean ubuntu re-install.

I'm not going to experiment with my 9.10 now. The cups service is disabled,
the update-manager is still hammering me.

The only real option seems to be "pin". But the documentation I can find
refers to a file /etc/apt/preferences which does not exist, seems to have
been replaced by a series of little files in several sub-dirs. Anyone
has a link explaining the new syntax?

Thanks.

frank

Old 12-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Markus Schnhaber

04.12.2009 22:41, frank:

> The only real option seems to be "pin". But the documentation I can find
> refers to a file /etc/apt/preferences which does not exist, seems to have
> been replaced by a series of little files in several sub-dirs. Anyone
> has a link explaining the new syntax?

Every time I wanted to do some apt pinning on Ubuntu, I had to create
/etc/apt/preferences from scratch. That it's not there doesn't mean it
will be ignored if you create it.
AFAIK there's the *additional* possibility to create fragments of the
file in .../preferences.d like there is for .../sources.list.d or
.../apt.conf.d. But you should still be able to use .../preferences.

WRT docs see for example
man apt_preferences
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto

--
Regards
mks

Old 12-05-2009, 04:50 PM
frank

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto

Thanks, I have now come to understand that what I need is not pinning but holding.
A bit late, yeah, sorry...

Holding can be done in synaptic where it is called locking. Highlight the package
and lock it from the menu.

Thanks.

frank