Old 12-04-2009, 04:05 PM
"Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)"

Default 32 or 64 bit?

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 12:45 AM, Nik N <niknot@gmail.com> wrote:

I am about to install Ubuntu 9.10 on a laptop with a 64-bit AMD Turion.

Can someone point me to a text that discusses the pros and cons of

using a 64-bit (vs. 32-bit) Ubuntu on it?

TIA, Nik N.

I think there's no need to discuss pros and cons of 32-bit vs 64-bit. If you have a 64-bit machine, you should install a 64-bit OS.
--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical Engineering)

Alma Maters:
(1) Singapore Polytechnic
(2) National University of Singapore
My Primary Blog: http://teo-en-ming-aka-zhang-enming.blogspot.com
My Secondary Blog: http://enmingteo.wordpress.com

My Youtube videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/enmingteo
Email: space.time.universe@gmail.com
Mobile Phone (Starhub Prepaid): +65-8369-2618

Street: Bedok Reservoir Road
Country: Singapore

Old 12-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Loc Greni

2009/12/4 Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) <space.time.universe@gmail.com>:

> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 12:45 AM, Nik N <niknot@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am about to install Ubuntu 9.10 on a laptop with a 64-bit AMD Turion.
>>
>> Can someone point me to a text that discusses the pros and cons of
>> using a 64-bit (vs. 32-bit) Ubuntu on it?
>> TIA, Nik N.
>
> I think there's no need to discuss pros and cons of 32-bit vs 64-bit. If you
> have a 64-bit machine, you should install a 64-bit OS.

There is no need to install a 64 bit OS.

There are pros and cons, I don't know all of them but here are
some:

- 64bit is better if you have a lot of memory, there are tricks
in 32 bits to access a bit more than 4GB, but if you have
(and need to access in one application) more than 3GB of
RAM you will need a 64bit OS.

- The 64bit mode of x86 processors has more registers, so
that the execution is slightly faster.

- The binary are bigger (because data tend to be bigger), so
that you need a bit more space (not much) and execution
can be slower (if you need to fetch more 64bit data where
32bit would be enough).

- Flash is still 32bit (the 32bit version works with 64bit
browsers using a wrapper and there is a slightly buggy
64bit version).

As far as I can tell, if you do not have 8GB of RAM there
are no fundamental reasons to go one way or the other.
Personal experience: I've gone 64bit but I can't really tell
the difference !

I hope somebody else has good reasons to choose
one over the other...

Loc

Old 12-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Chris Jones

> - Flash is still 32bit (the 32bit version works with 64bit
> browsers using a wrapper and there is a slightly buggy
> 64bit version).

Not true. 64 bit flash is no available for linux.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Steve

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 21:43:33 -0000, Chris Jones
<christopher.rob.jones@cern.ch> wrote:

>> - Flash is still 32bit (the 32bit version works with 64bit
>> browsers using a wrapper and there is a slightly buggy
>> 64bit version).
>
> Not true. 64 bit flash is no available for linux.

Really!

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10_64bit.html

--
Steve

Old 12-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Preston Hagar

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Chris Jones
<christopher.rob.jones@cern.ch> wrote:

>> * - Flash is still 32bit (the 32bit version works with 64bit
>> * * browsers using a wrapper and there is a slightly buggy
>> * * 64bit version).
>
> Not true. 64 bit flash is no available for linux.

Actually there is a 64 bit flash alpha available from Adobe:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/64bit.html

I have used it for a while and haven't had any issues.

In regards to the 32 bit vs 64 bit question, if you have or might soon
have more than 4 GB of RAM, I would go with 64 bit. If you have less
than 4 GB of RAM and don't plan any upgrades (at least before your
next re-install), then I would go 32 bit.

If you do install 64 bit, I would recommend installing ia32-libs (sudo
apt-get install ia32-libs) which should allow most 32 bit binaries to
run with little to no problems.

Preston

Old 12-04-2009, 09:27 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 12:45 AM, Nik N <niknot@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am about to install Ubuntu 9.10 on a laptop with a 64-bit AMD Turion.
>>
>> Can someone point me to a text that discusses the pros and cons of
>> using a 64-bit (vs. 32-bit) Ubuntu on it?
>> TIA, Nik N.
>>
>> --
>>

> I think there's no need to discuss pros and cons of 32-bit vs 64-bit. If you
> have a 64-bit machine, you should install a 64-bit OS.

I have a 64 bit cpu but choose to run 32 bit Ubuntu because
it is much more stable than the 64 bit software.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Pedro Francisco

Do you need to virtualize? I found a while ago that me -- using a low
segment Core 2 Duo -- cannot virtualize on a 64 bit system because my
Core 2 Duo lacks virtualization extensions.
Do check if you have them in case you need them.

General topic which includes VirtualBox:
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12718

VirtualBox:
http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserManual.html#intro-64bitguests

VMware:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=1901

Do note VMware supports software virtualization on some AMD processors.

Personally, will stick with 32 bits.
--
Pedro

Old 12-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Loc Greni

2009/12/4 Pedro Francisco <pedrogfrancisco@gmail.com>:
> Do you need to virtualize? I found a while ago that me -- using a low
> segment Core 2 Duo -- cannot virtualize on a 64 bit system because my
> Core 2 Duo lacks virtualization extensions.
> Do check if you have them in case you need them.

What do you mean ? You can virtualize if you stick to 32bit and
not if you go to 64bit ? I had not heard anything like that before.

Loc

Old 12-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Nik N

>> Do you need to virtualize? I found a while ago that me -- using a low
>> segment Core 2 Duo -- cannot virtualize on a 64 bit system because my
>> Core 2 Duo lacks virtualization extensions.
>> Do check if you have them in case you need them.
>
> What do you mean ? You can virtualize if you stick to 32bit and
> not if you go to 64bit ? I had not heard anything like that before.

I use VirtualBox a lot and have tested it (under 64-bit ubuntu 9.04); it
works well (with 32-bit guests, both XP & various 32-bit Linuxes - I have
no interest in ever running 64-bit guests).

I have 4 GB of memory, and this is so far the only reason I'm considering
64-bit system. (is it true that 32-bit 9.10 will work with all 4, but only the
applications will be restricted to 3 (or less)? Correct? (yes/no?)

Everything else so far - application software and hardware drivers'
stability specifically - appears to points to the 32-bit OS.

Thank you all for your comments! Any other?
Nik N.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Asif Iqbal

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Nik N <niknot@gmail.com> wrote:

I am about to install Ubuntu 9.10 on a laptop with a 64-bit AMD Turion.

Can someone point me to a text that discusses the pros and cons of

using a 64-bit (vs. 32-bit) Ubuntu on it?

TIA, Nik N.

embedded flash does not work with 64 bit, even if you use 64 bit flash.
I switched back to 32 bit. However for server you want 64 bit if you can

*

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?