Old 12-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Kipton Moravec

Default Terminal Programs

On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 10:24 -0500, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Kipton Moravec <kip@kdream.com> wrote:
> > We need a better serial Terminal Program. I would think that you should
> > not lose data if you have HW handshaking, no matter how the data is
> > displayed.
> >
> Are you certain the microcontroller is honoring HW handshaking?

Yes. If I turn off HW handshaking GtkTerm can not keep up with 4800
baud. With HW handshaking it can do 19200 with no problems (which is the
max I can do with this configuration today) and I can see my
microcontroller waiting on the serial port with its debugger, which
happens only when the output buffer is full. However when I only change
the GtkTerm display from ASCII to HEX it overruns the buffer.

> agree that you should not lose data if you have HW handshaking. Are
> you certain that GtkTerm is configured to use HW handshaking?

It is a very simple button to select. It is easy to turn on and off.
Easy to see the current state.

> (I've
> never used GtkTerm -- I've used Minicom quite extensively, but I've
> never needed a real time hex dump.)
>
> If you only need hex dumps once in a while, you could exit out of your
> terminal program and try something like:
>
> $ od -tx2 /dev/ttyS0
>
> Finally, check your dmesg to see if there are any messages related to
> buffer overflows, dropped interrupts, or something that just plain
> smells. It might give you a pointer for where to look for more help
> (especially if my lame tips don't help at all).

dmesg says
I get a gtkterm segfault ... error 4

Which is probably the buffer overflow.

> --wpd

Kip

--
Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...

"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain