FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-04-2009, 08:31 AM
frank
 
Default avoiding cups updates

I never print a page and don't even have a printer but I cannot remove cups
because ubuntu-desktop would go with it.

How can I instruct the update manager to leave me alone with cups updates?







--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-04-2009, 08:51 AM
eth1 Network Solutions
 
Default avoiding cups updates

Hi,

You can disable cups service which will mean service won't start and
won't use resources as well.

update-rc.d -f servicename remove

servicename is where you need to substitute CUPS service name.

Cheers !
On Dec 4, 2009, at 3:01 PM, frank wrote:

> I never print a page and don't even have a printer but I cannot
> remove cups
> because ubuntu-desktop would go with it.
>
> How can I instruct the update manager to leave me alone with cups
> updates?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Colin Law
 
Default avoiding cups updates

2009/12/4 eth1 Network Solutions <misc@eth1.in>:
> Hi,
>
> You can disable cups service which will mean service won't start and
> won't use resources as well.
>
> update-rc.d -f servicename remove
>
> servicename is where you need to substitute CUPS service name.

That will not stop the update manager from suggesting updates will it?
That was the OP's question.

Colin

>
> Cheers !
> On Dec 4, 2009, at 3:01 PM, frank wrote:
>
>> I never print a page and don't even have a printer but I cannot
>> remove cups
>> because ubuntu-desktop would go with it.
>>
>> How can I instruct the update manager to leave me alone with cups
>> updates?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> ubuntu-users mailing list
>> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Steve
 
Default avoiding cups updates

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 09:31:57 -0000, frank <y199mp1505@gmail.com> wrote:

> I never print a page and don't even have a printer but I cannot remove
> cups
> because ubuntu-desktop would go with it.
>
> How can I instruct the update manager to leave me alone with cups
> updates?
>
>
ubuntu0desktop isn’t required and can safely be removed
You could also 'pin' cups at its current version.


--
Steve

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:52 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org