-   -   Shutdown button takes good time on shutting down PC (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/290324-shutdown-button-takes-good-time-shutting-down-pc.html)

Ashish Vijaywargiya 12-04-2009 04:54 AM

Shutdown button takes good time on shutting down PC

We are using Ubuntu8.04 on couple of machine. When we should down the machine then it takes about 1 or 2 minutes to start processing of shutting down the PC.
In the meantime the control remains on User Desktop.

Few machines are working fine and shutdown immediately.

Ashish

eth1 Network Solutions 12-04-2009 09:07 AM

Shutdown button takes good time on shutting down PC

Hi Ashish,

How about running 'shutdown -r now' at the command line. Since you're
using Ubuntu, you need to prefix the command with 'sudo'

Cheers !

Ashish Vijaywargiya 12-05-2009 03:59 AM

Shutdown button takes good time on shutting down PC

Any other option to troubleshoot the issue? It is hard to ask developer to write command on terminal using sudo user.
What should be the case when developer don't know the sudo password?

FYI all the machines are having core 2 duo processor assembled with it.

Thanks for your comment.

Steve 12-05-2009 11:01 AM

Shutdown button takes good time on shutting down PC

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 04:59:30 -0000, Ashish Vijaywargiya
<vijaywargiya.ashish@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any other option to troubleshoot the issue? It is hard to ask developer
> write command on terminal using sudo user.
> What should be the case when developer don't know the sudo password?
>
> FYI all the machines are having core 2 duo processor assembled with it.
> Thanks for your comment.

Look at the logs /var/log

--
Steve

Ashish Vijaywargiya 12-10-2009 11:52 AM

Shutdown button takes good time on shutting down PC

Hello Steve,

Thanks!

There are so many files inside /var/log folder.
Can you please point in which file I should look for problems?

--
Ashish

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 04:59:30 -0000, Ashish Vijaywargiya

<vijaywargiya.ashish@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any other option to troubleshoot the issue? It is hard to ask developer

> write command on terminal using sudo user.

> What should be the case when developer don't know the sudo password?

> FYI all the machines are having core 2 duo processor assembled with it.

> Thanks for your comment.

Look at the logs /var/log

--

Steve

SteVe Cook 12-11-2009 09:39 AM

Shutdown button takes good time on shutting down PC

There are so many files inside /var/log folder.
Can you please point in which file I should look for problems?

dmesg and dmesg.0 are a good palce to start

--

Cheers

SteVe

"David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk)" 12-11-2009 12:24 PM

SteVe Cook wrote:

> 2009/12/10 Ashish Vijaywargiya <vijaywargiya.ashish@gmail.com
> <mailto:vijaywargiya.ashish@gmail.com>>
>
> Hello Steve,
>
> Thanks!
>
> There are so many files inside /var/log folder.
> Can you please point in which file I should look for problems?
>

> dmesg and dmesg.0 are a good palce to start
> --
>
> Cheers
>
> SteVe

This is sort of a related problem. When I issue shutdown command in
terminal

shutdown now

or

shutdown now -P

my machine reboots into the fix system mode & doesn'tshutdown

how can I stop this?

Steve 12-11-2009 03:14 PM

Shutdown button takes good time on shutting down PC

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:24:10 -0000, David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk)
<ethnopunk@telkomsa.net> wrote:

> This is sort of a related problem. When I issue shutdown command in
> terminal
>
> shutdown now
>
> or
>
> shutdown now -P
>
> my machine reboots into the fix system mode & doesn'tshutdown
>
> how can I stop this?

I’m not sure I understand, can you give a bit more detail.

--
Steve

Colin Law 12-13-2009 07:09 PM

2009/12/11 David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) <ethnopunk@telkomsa.net>:

>..
>
> This is sort of a related problem. When I issue shutdown command in
> terminal
>
> shutdown now
>
> or
>
> shutdown now -P
>
> my machine reboots into the fix system mode & doesn'tshutdown
>
> how can I stop this?

That should be
shutdown -P now
or depending on context