FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Keith Clark
 
Default Installation Woes7.10 on a spare 500 GB drive and it a

I am trying to install Ubuntu and it always fails saying that the formatting has failed. Any ideas?

Keith




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 08:37 PM
"Liam Proven"
 
Default Installation Woes7.10 on a spare 500 GB drive and it a

On 04/01/2008, Keith Clark <keithclark1966@rogers.com> wrote:
> I am trying to install Ubuntu and it always fails saying that the formatting has failed. Any ideas?

Can you try using something else to do the partitioning and
formatting? E.g. PartitionMagic, or the SystemRescueCD, or Knoppix, or
something like that? That would give you a bit more info to go on...

--
Liam Proven • Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/liamproven
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven@aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven@hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven@yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 08:43 PM
 
Default Installation Woes7.10 on a spare 500 GB drive and it a

----- Original Message ----
From: Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com>
To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Friday, January 4, 2008 4:37:17 PM
Subject: Re: Installation Woes7.10 on a spare 500 GB drive and it a

On 04/01/2008, Keith Clark <keithclark1966@rogers.com> wrote:
> I am trying to install Ubuntu and it always fails saying that the
formatting has failed. Any ideas?

Can you try using something else to do the partitioning and
formatting? E.g. PartitionMagic, or the SystemRescueCD, or Knoppix, or
something like that? That would give you a bit more info to go on...e

Nope, Ubuntu is all I have. XP works fine with the drive. I cannot seem to mount and windows drive.

Keith




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Bernard Peek
 
Default Installation Woes7.10 on a spare 500 GB drive and it a

Keith Clark wrote:
> I am trying to install Ubuntu and it always fails saying that the formatting has failed. Any ideas?
>
>
I had a similar problem some years ago with a RedHat distro. The fdisk
program consistently segfaulted, I eventually found out by looking at a
different console. I never did find a fix.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Gerald Dachs
 
Default Installation Woes7.10 on a spare 500 GB drive and it a

Am Fri, 4 Jan 2008 13:43:54 -0800 (PST)
schrieb keithclark1966@rogers.com:

>
>
> ----- Original Message ----
> From: Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com>
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com> Sent: Friday, January 4, 2008 4:37:17
> PM Subject: Re: Installation Woes7.10 on a spare 500 GB drive and it a
>
> On 04/01/2008, Keith Clark <keithclark1966@rogers.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to install Ubuntu and it always fails saying that the
> formatting has failed. Any ideas?
>
> Can you try using something else to do the partitioning and
> formatting? E.g. PartitionMagic, or the SystemRescueCD, or Knoppix, or
> something like that? That would give you a bit more info to go on...e
>
> Nope, Ubuntu is all I have.

If you don't want to help to get more informations for the problem,
nobody can help you. What is the problem to download Knoppix
or the SystemRescueCD?

> XP works fine with the drive. I cannot
> seem to mount and windows drive.

I am not a native english speaker, but this sentence
seems to be grammatically wrong, and makes no sense for
me. What do you want to say with this?

Gerald

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Gerald Dachs
 
Default Installation Woes7.10 on a spare 500 GB drive and it a

Am Fri, 04 Jan 2008 21:54:10 +0000
schrieb Bernard Peek <bernard.peek@gmail.com>:

> Keith Clark wrote:
> > I am trying to install Ubuntu and it always fails saying that the
> > formatting has failed. Any ideas?
> >
> >
> I had a similar problem some years ago with a RedHat distro. The
> fdisk program consistently segfaulted, I eventually found out by
> looking at a different console. I never did find a fix.

This is very helpful . I could imagine dozens of reasons for his
problem. The chance that a bug from an old fdisk from RedHat has
survived years and made it into Ubuntu is rather small.
This info may lead only in a wrong direction.

Gerald

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 09:08 PM
 
Default Installation Woes7.10 on a spare 500 GB drive and it a

----- Original Message ----
From: Gerald Dachs <ubuntu@dachsweb.de>
To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Sent: Friday, January 4, 2008 5:02:54 PM
Subject: Re: Installation Woes7.10 on a spare 500 GB drive and it a

Am Fri, 4 Jan 2008 13:43:54 -0800 (PST)
schrieb keithclark1966@rogers.com:

>
>
> ----- Original Message ----
> From: Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com>
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com> Sent: Friday, January 4, 2008 4:37:17
> PM Subject: Re: Installation Woes7.10 on a spare 500 GB drive and it
a
>
> On 04/01/2008, Keith Clark <keithclark1966@rogers.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to install Ubuntu and it always fails saying that the
> formatting has failed. Any ideas?
>
> Can you try using something else to do the partitioning and
> formatting? E.g. PartitionMagic, or the SystemRescueCD, or Knoppix,
or
> something like that? That would give you a bit more info to go on...e

>
> Nope, Ubuntu is all I have.

If you don't want to help to get more informations for the problem,
nobody can help you. What is the problem to download Knoppix
or the SystemRescueCD?

> XP works fine with the drive. I cannot
> seem to mount and windows drive.

I am not a native english speaker, but this sentence
seems to be grammatically wrong, and makes no sense for
me. What do you want to say with this?

Gerald


No need to get rude.

Windows XP works fine with the drive, as does PCLinuxOS. Ubuntu will just not mount it, nor will the Partition Manager start up.

Keith



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Gerald Dachs
 
Default Installation Woes7.10 on a spare 500 GB drive and it a

> > XP works fine with the drive. I cannot
> > seem to mount and windows drive.
>
> I am not a native english speaker, but this sentence
> seems to be grammatically wrong, and makes no sense for
> me. What do you want to say with this?
>
> Gerald
>
>
> No need to get rude.

Don't start to whine, read this
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#keepcool

Gerald

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 09:40 PM
 
Default Installation Woes7.10 on a spare 500 GB drive and it a

----- Original Message ----
From: Gerald Dachs <ubuntu@dachsweb.de>
To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Sent: Friday, January 4, 2008 5:21:27 PM
Subject: Re: Installation Woes7.10 on a spare 500 GB drive and it a

> > XP works fine with the drive. I cannot
> > seem to mount and windows drive.
>
> I am not a native english speaker, but this sentence
> seems to be grammatically wrong, and makes no sense for
> me. What do you want to say with this?
>
> Gerald
>
>
> No need to get rude.

Don't start to whine, read this
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#keepcool

Gerald



Useful, but a better idea that solved my problem was just to try and reboot Ubuntu Live CD. It is working now. I have no idea why, but it worked.

Keith



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Bernard Peek
 
Default Installation Woes7.10 on a spare 500 GB drive and it a

Gerald Dachs wrote:
> Am Fri, 04 Jan 2008 21:54:10 +0000
> schrieb Bernard Peek <bernard.peek@gmail.com>:
>
>
>> Keith Clark wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to install Ubuntu and it always fails saying that the
>>> formatting has failed. Any ideas?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> I had a similar problem some years ago with a RedHat distro. The
>> fdisk program consistently segfaulted, I eventually found out by
>> looking at a different console. I never did find a fix.
>>
>
> This is very helpful . I could imagine dozens of reasons for his
> problem. The chance that a bug from an old fdisk from RedHat has
> survived years and made it into Ubuntu is rather small.
> This info may lead only in a wrong direction.
>


The bug didn't even survive until the next RedHat distro. But another
bug that causes a segfault would produce the same symptoms. It's easy
enough to check whether fdisk is failing during the installation. It's a
relatively simple way of getting more information about the problem. The
symptoms that OP report are consistent with this type of problem.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:51 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org