Old 12-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Tom H

Default lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions - new thread

> I'm getting a recurring kernel error about every 30 seconds to a minute.
> This is from logwatch but the kernel and messages logs are similar.

> 1 Time(s): [ 9503.788362] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
> 1998 Time(s): lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions

> My /etc/network/interfaces file;

> knute at rabbitbrush:/etc/network$ cat interfaces
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback

> Everything seems to be working correctly except for the error messages.
> I googled around and there seems to be lots of causes for this type of
> error, the most common having something to do with wireless. I don't
> have any wireless installed on this computer. The computer was upgraded
> from 9.04 to 9.10 server a few days ago and that is when the messages
> started.
> Any ideas where to start to fix it?

I deleted your email by mistake and have had to start a new thread. Sorry!

On my 32-bit desktop install, "Disabled Privacy Extensions" appears
once during bootup. The message preceding "Disabled Privacy
Extensions" is "Registered protocol family 10" (ipv6). "Privacy
Extensions" is an ipv6 feature. I have no idea why you get it every 30
seconds though.

If you do not need ipv6, you can disable it by adding "ipv6.disable=1"
to the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX" line in "/etc/default/grub" and run
"update-grub".