Old 12-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Gary Kirkpatrick

Default changing mount point

I have my data on a partition, sda2.* 9.04 is on sda4.* When I go to sda2 I have to click home, then main before I can get to my data files.* Is there a way to avoid a step or two, going straight to where the data is stored?* I think this has something to do with mounting but could not tell for sure from the posts I read.*

thanks

gary

Old 12-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Preston Hagar

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have my data on a partition, sda2.* 9.04 is on sda4.* When I go to sda2 I
> have to click home, then main before I can get to my data files.* Is there a
> way to avoid a step or two, going straight to where the data is stored?* I
> think this has something to do with mounting but could not tell for sure
> from the posts I read.
>
> thanks
>
> gary

There are a couple of different options, the top two would be a
symlink or to move the mount point. To give the exact
commands/changes, I might need a little more information, but I can
give you a general guide.

It sounds like sda2 is mounted at /home/<yourUserName>/main which
would cause you to go into home, then main to access your data. Is
there anything else in your home folder besides the main folder? If
main is the only thing in there, then you can likely just move the
mount point, if there are other things in there, you would probably be
better off with symlinks.

Reply with the output of the following terminal commands:

df -h

cat /etc/fstab

ls -la /home/

# (for the next command, you will need to replace <yourUserName> with
your user name

ls -la /home/<yourUserName>

In general, to change a mount point, you will edit (as root) the
/etc/fstab file and change where sda2 is mounted. If there is other
stuff in your home folder, however, it will possibly be more trouble
than its worth to move the mount point. Send me the output to the
commands above, and I can send you more detailed instructions.

Preston

Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Preston Hagar

Thanks, that helps a lot. I will go through each and show what we
learned and then help you figure out what to do at the end.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary@gmail.com> wrote:
> gary@garynetbook:~$ df -h
> Filesystem*********** Size* Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda4************* 55G** 43G* 9.0G* 83% /
> /dev/sda2************* 55G** 16G** 37G* 30% /media/8.04

This shows your mounted file systems. I snipped out the ones that
aren't related to the matter at hand. It looks like your OS drive
(sda4) is mounted at / (very normal) and your data partition (sda2) is
mounted at /media/8.04

> cat /etc/fstab
> proc*********** /proc********** proc*** defaults******* 0****** 0
> # / was on /dev/sda4 during installation
> UUID=25fc3c4f-ad42-44da-8b55-81d164e0bcaa /************** ext3
> relatime,errors=remount-ro 0****** 1
> # swap was on /dev/sda3 during installation
> UUID=3f8899bc-e1de-4736-9e7f-beedb02ac32e none*********** swap
> sw************* 0****** 0

From your fstab, we can see that your sda2 partition isn't being
mounted at startup automatically. It is likely being mounted when you
click on it by hotplug in udev (or whatever service like that ubuntu
is using now) This can also be seen because that is usually how
things under /media/ get there.

> ls -la /home/
> total 12
> drwxr-xr-x* 3 root root 4096 2009-07-20 14:34 .
> drwxr-xr-x 22 root root 4096 2009-11-27 11:58 ..
> drwxr-xr-x 66 gary gary 4096 2009-12-03 14:39 gary

This lets me know that your home folder is setup like normal and that
it is located on sda4

> *ls -la /home/gary
> total 314076
> drwxr-xr-x 66 gary gary***** 4096 2009-12-03 14:39 .
> drwxr-xr-x* 3 root root***** 4096 2009-07-20 14:34 ..
> drwx------* 2 gary gary***** 4096 2009-11-20 12:12 .AbiSuite
> drwx------* 3 gary gary***** 4096 2009-10-25 18:01 .adobe
> -rw-r--r--* 1 gary gary***** 1817 2009-08-08 16:51 asddress2.odb
> -rw-------* 1 gary gary***** 1891 2009-11-20 10:55 .bash_history
> -rw-r--r--* 1 gary gary****** 220 2009-07-20 14:34 .bash_logout
> -rw-r--r--* 1 gary gary***** 3115 2009-07-20 14:34 .bashrc
> -rw-r--r--* 1 gary gary 320110592 2009-10-02 21:41 brasero.iso
> [...]

What I was looking for here was the indication of a symlink to your
data drive. If you look this line:
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 gary gary 26 2009-10-26 15:42 Examples -> /usr/share/example-content

The arrow indicates that Examples is actually a symlink to the folder
/usr/share/example-content

So, from the looks of things, it looks like there are no symlinks from
your sda2 partition into your home folder. I will be honest with you
here, I don't use the GUI much for file managment, so someone might
have better answers than I do. I have copied the list back on this so
they can see it and hopefully reply. Also, I use xubuntu (with xfce
instead of gnome) so some of my menus/screens etc. look different than
yours.

Anyway, from the sound of things, you are likely clicking either on an
icon on your desktop to open your home folder and going from there to
your data partition, or going from the places menu. You could go to
your data folder icon, right click it, and choose Send To -> Desktop
and that should put an icon on the desktop straight to your data
folder.

Another option would be to put a symlink in your home folder. To do
this, you would go to the command line and issue the following
commands:

# this command will make sure you are in your home directory
cd ~/

# this command will make a symlink from your data partition into your
home directory
ln -s /media/8.04 Data

You will now have a folder in your home directory called Data that
should basically be a shortcut to your data partition.

You could also create symlinks to the most often used directories
inside of the data partition. Say for example you have a Pictures
folder in your data partition, you could enter:

ln -s /media/8.04/Pictures .

That would make your Pictures folder from the data partition show up
in your normal home folder. Before you make a symlink though, you
want to make sure you won't link over an existing folder. If you try
to, you will get a "File exists" error. In that case, replace the .
in the above command with a new name for that folder.

If you want to remove a link, you can use the unlink command.

So, for example, if you wanted to add a link from a Pictures folder
inside your data partition, call it old pictures, then remove it, you
would do the following:

ln -s /media/8.04/Pictures OldPictures

unlink /home/gary/OldPictures

The first command links the Pictures folder on the data partition into
your home folder, creating a shortcut called OldPictures

The second command undoes what the first one did.

Hopefully this should help out some and maybe get you going in the
right direction. Let me know if you have any questions.

Preston

Old 12-04-2009, 02:14 AM
Andrew Farris

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 14:00 -0500, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I have my data on a partition, sda2. 9.04 is on sda4. When I go to
> sda2 I have to click home, then main before I can get to my data
> files. Is there a way to avoid a step or two, going straight to where
> the data is stored? I think this has something to do with mounting
> but could not tell for sure from the posts I read.

To change the location of where a partition is mounted/automonted, you
would need to add an appropriate line to your /etc/fstab file... see
this link for an excellent walk-through on what's involved:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutomaticallyMountPartitions

There's lots of other options for doing this though... Preston covered
the making of symlinks to the appropriate places in his replies, I'll
share with you some of what I have on my setup, in the hopes that it may
be useful to you.

My setup:
I have 2 partitions where my data is split up other than my home
folder... mainly because I like to keep my data segregated, but I still
have some mechanisms by which I can easily/conveniently access
everything:
1. Symlinks:
I have symlinks in most of my main folders (Documents,
Music, Pictures, etc...) that lead off to other folders
on my system... namely to old windows document folders
where I never migrated my things away from... I also
have a symlink off to my big hard drive for Wine's
Program Files folder, because it gets pretty big from
installing games
2. Bookmarks:
Nautilus Bookmarks are your friend. You can put links to
big generic folders you access a lot there, so they're
just a click away. To organize them, open a file browser
window, and go to the "Bookmarks" menu. Either that, or
just browse to the folder, then drag/drop into the
bottom part of the 'Places' view from nautilus... these
folders will then be available from there with 1-click
access, and also from "Places > [Your-Location]", or
from "Places > Bookmarks > [Your-location]" depending on
how many bookmarks you have.
3. Panel Applets:
You can also use panel applets to manage folders you
frequent, and even documents in some cases... some of my
favorites(all available from repositories):
* Top-Shelf-
Nice little applet for compactly managing
documents, folders, etc that you use often, but
don't want in your bookmarks, or on your desktop
for whatever reason.
* file-browser-applet-
Similar to the way the ubuntu menu bar works,
the file-browser-applet is a panel applet that
allows you to apply the same idea to any folder
on your system. Basically, you add the app to
your panel then "right-click > Preferences" and
add folders to it, and it shows them all on your
panel like the menubar. This makes for quick,
single click access to entire directory trees...
the only complaint i've found is for very large
directories it sometimes opens/navigates slowly,
and it doesn't hide files defined in a .hidden
file... but other than that, i love it.
* Drawers-
Drawers are available by default on ubuntu, and
basically act like panel space that collapses to
a single icon. Similar in idea to topshelf, but
somewhat more limited imho.
* quick-lounge-applet-
This applet is also similar to top-shelf, but
you don't have to click it to view the
applets...it just keeps them in little rows on
your panel, similar to the workspace switcher.
this is generally more useful for applications,
but you can put folders there too.

I hope that helps you out some... good luck!

--
Andrew