-   -   lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/290023-lo-disabled-privacy-extensions.html)

Knute Johnson 12-03-2009 04:39 PM

lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions

I'm getting a recurring kernel error about every 30 seconds to a minute.
This is from logwatch but the kernel and messages logs are similar.

1 Time(s): [ 9503.788362] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
1 Time(s): [ 9503.942683] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
1 Time(s): [ 9803.349930] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
1 Time(s): [ 9803.505668] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
1998 Time(s): lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions

My /etc/network/interfaces file;

knute@rabbitbrush:/etc/network$ cat interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Everything seems to be working correctly except for the error messages.
I googled around and there seems to be lots of causes for this type of
error, the most common having something to do with wireless. I don't
have any wireless installed on this computer. The computer was upgraded
from 9.04 to 9.10 server a few days ago and that is when the messages
started.

Any ideas where to start to fix it?

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson
knute2009@knutejohnson.com

Derek Broughton 12-03-2009 05:47 PM

Knute Johnson wrote:

> I'm getting a recurring kernel error about every 30 seconds to a minute.
> This is from logwatch but the kernel and messages logs are similar.
>
> 1 Time(s): [ 9503.788362] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
> 1 Time(s): [ 9503.942683] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
> 1 Time(s): [ 9803.349930] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
> 1 Time(s): [ 9803.505668] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
> 1998 Time(s): lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions

I've got no ideas how to prevent the messages, but I wouldn't worry about it
(except that that's on the order of 2000 extra lines of logging every day) -
it's the loopback (127.0.0.1) interface and really can't use and doesn't
need "Privacy Extensions".
--
derek

Knute Johnson 12-03-2009 09:41 PM

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Knute Johnson wrote:
>
>> I'm getting a recurring kernel error about every 30 seconds to a minute.
>> This is from logwatch but the kernel and messages logs are similar.
>>
>> 1 Time(s): [ 9503.788362] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
>> 1 Time(s): [ 9503.942683] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
>> 1 Time(s): [ 9803.349930] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
>> 1 Time(s): [ 9803.505668] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
>> 1998 Time(s): lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
>
> I've got no ideas how to prevent the messages, but I wouldn't worry about it
> (except that that's on the order of 2000 extra lines of logging every day) -
> it's the loopback (127.0.0.1) interface and really can't use and doesn't
> need "Privacy Extensions".

Any idea where Privacy Extensions are configured?

Thanks,

Tom H 12-04-2009 03:49 PM

lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions

>>> I'm getting a recurring kernel error about every 30 seconds to a minute.
>>> * This is from logwatch but the kernel and messages logs are similar.
>>> 1 Time(s): [ 9503.788362] lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
>>> 1998 Time(s): lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions

>> I've got no ideas how to prevent the messages, but I wouldn't worry about it
>> (except that that's on the order of 2000 extra lines of logging every day) -
>> it's the loopback (127.0.0.1) interface and really can't use and doesn't
>> need "Privacy Extensions".

> Any idea where Privacy Extensions are configured?

It is a kernel config - IPV6_PRIVACY - and it is set to "y" in KK so
you would have to recompile your kernel in order to set it to "n" or
"m".

The corresponding proc entry is
/proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/lo/use_tempaddr

and when I "sysctl" or "cat" mine, it returns "-1". (And it is 0 for wlan0.)

You could sysctl yours to "-1" if it isn't and it might stop the
"Privacy" messages. (And if it isn't set to "-1" for KK server
edition, you might want to file a bug report.)

The values that use_tempaddr can take are

<= 0 disable Privacy Extensions

== 1 enable Privacy Extensions, but prefer public addresses over
temporary addresses

> 1 enable Privacy Extensions and prefer temporary addresses over public addresses

Default 0 (for most devices)

Default -1 (for point-to-point devices and loopback devices)

Knute Johnson 12-04-2009 04:17 PM

Tom H wrote:

>>> I've got no ideas how to prevent the messages, but I wouldn't worry about it
>>> (except that that's on the order of 2000 extra lines of logging every day) -
>>> it's the loopback (127.0.0.1) interface and really can't use and doesn't
>>> need "Privacy Extensions".
>
>> Any idea where Privacy Extensions are configured?
>
> It is a kernel config - IPV6_PRIVACY - and it is set to "y" in KK so
> you would have to recompile your kernel in order to set it to "n" or
> "m".
>
> The corresponding proc entry is
> /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/lo/use_tempaddr
>
> and when I "sysctl" or "cat" mine, it returns "-1". (And it is 0 for wlan0.)
>
> You could sysctl yours to "-1" if it isn't and it might stop the
> "Privacy" messages. (And if it isn't set to "-1" for KK server
> edition, you might want to file a bug report.)
>
> The values that use_tempaddr can take are
>
> <= 0 disable Privacy Extensions
>
> == 1 enable Privacy Extensions, but prefer public addresses over
> temporary addresses
>
>> 1 enable Privacy Extensions and prefer temporary addresses over public addresses
>
> Default 0 (for most devices)
>
> Default -1 (for point-to-point devices and loopback devices)

Tom:

Thanks for the reply. use_tempaddr is -1. Since the error says that
Privacy Extensions are turned off should I set it to 0 to get rid of the
messages? What will that do?

Thanks,

Tom H 12-04-2009 05:24 PM

lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions

>>> Any idea where Privacy Extensions are configured?

>> It is a kernel config - IPV6_PRIVACY - and it is set to "y" in KK so
>> you would have to recompile your kernel in order to set it to "n" or
>> "m".

>> The corresponding proc entry is
>> /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/lo/use_tempaddr

>> and when I "sysctl" or "cat" mine, it returns "-1". (And it is 0 for wlan0.)

>> You could sysctl yours to "-1" if it isn't and it might stop the
>> "Privacy" messages. (And if it isn't set to "-1" for KK server
>> edition, you might want to file a bug report.)

>> The values that use_tempaddr can take are

>> <= 0 disable Privacy Extensions

>> == 1 enable Privacy Extensions, but prefer public addresses over
>> temporary addresses

>>> 1 enable Privacy Extensions and prefer temporary addresses over public addresses

>> Default 0 (for most devices)

>> Default -1 (for point-to-point devices and loopback devices)

> Thanks for the reply. *use_tempaddr is -1. *Since the error says that
> Privacy Extensions are turned off should I set it to 0 to get rid of the
> messages?*What will that do?

You're welcome.

"-1" is the correct value for a loopback device and has the same
effect as "0" (see the documentation above; 1st line "<=0" and last
line "Default -1"). You could try 0 but I doubt that it will make a
difference.

I will install KK 32-bit server edition this weekend to see if I have
the same logging problem. No other ideas, sorry.

Knute Johnson 12-04-2009 11:47 PM

Tom H wrote:
> You're welcome.
>
> "-1" is the correct value for a loopback device and has the same
> effect as "0" (see the documentation above; 1st line "<=0" and last
> line "Default -1"). You could try 0 but I doubt that it will make a
> difference.
>
> I will install KK 32-bit server edition this weekend to see if I have
> the same logging problem. No other ideas, sorry.

Thanks for looking Tom.

Tom H 12-07-2009 10:40 AM

lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions

>> "-1" is the correct value for a loopback device and has the same
>> effect as "0" (see the documentation above; 1st line "<=0" and last
>> line "Default -1"). You could try 0 but I doubt that it will make a
>> difference.

>> I will install KK 32-bit server edition this weekend to see if I have
>> the same logging problem. No other ideas, sorry.

> Thanks for looking Tom.

You're welcome. I did two KK server installs this weekend, one 32-bit
on a netbook (with openssh, apache, samba, nfs) and one 64-bit on a
Dell rack server (with openssh and samba). Both only log the "Disable
Privacy Extensions" once at boot.

Knute Johnson 12-07-2009 04:07 PM

Tom H wrote:
>>> "-1" is the correct value for a loopback device and has the same
>>> effect as "0" (see the documentation above; 1st line "<=0" and last
>>> line "Default -1"). You could try 0 but I doubt that it will make a
>>> difference.
>
>>> I will install KK 32-bit server edition this weekend to see if I have
>>> the same logging problem. No other ideas, sorry.
>
>> Thanks for looking Tom.
>
> You're welcome. I did two KK server installs this weekend, one 32-bit
> on a netbook (with openssh, apache, samba, nfs) and one 64-bit on a
> Dell rack server (with openssh and samba). Both only log the "Disable
> Privacy Extensions" once at boot.

My best guess (and it is an uneducated one) is that something in the
upgrade was left over or just enough different to cause it since your
installs didn't show it. I don't really understand what the Privacy
Extensions do but the server is working fine so I guess I'll just live
with it for now :-).

Thanks,

Tom H 12-08-2009 11:05 AM

lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions

>> You're welcome. I did two KK server installs this weekend, one 32-bit
>> on a netbook (with openssh, apache, samba, nfs) and one 64-bit on a
>> Dell rack server (with openssh and samba). Both only log the "Disable
>> Privacy Extensions" once at boot.

> My best guess (and it is an uneducated one) is that something in the
> upgrade was left over or just enough different to cause it since your
> installs didn't show it.

> I don't really understand what the Privacy Extensions do but the server
> is working fine so I guess I'll just live with it for now :-).

IIRC, privacy extensions were introduced because the initial plan for
ipv6 was to include the mac address in ipv6 addresses and that was
found not to provide enough privacy.