Old 12-03-2009, 02:25 AM
"Mike.lifeguard"

Default OpenOffice document recovery gone bad

Old 12-03-2009, 02:34 AM
CLIFFORD ILKAY

Mike.lifeguard wrote:
> My OOo-writer seems to think it has a document to recover, and displays
> that dialog - however the list of documents to recover is empty.
> Clicking OK simply closes the dialog and writer never truly starts,
> presumably because attempting to recover a document that doesn't exist
> fails. So, I cannot open any documents - I simply get this recover
> dialog that doesn't actually recover anything.
>
> I have tried purging and reinstalling the package, to no effect. Does
> anyone know how OOo knows it has a document to recover? If there's a
> file fragment somewhere it is detecting, then I could delete it and
> hopefully it would stop trying to recover something that doesn't exist,
> and I'd be able to open my real document. Other/better suggestions
> welcome, of course

When OpenOffice crashes, which doesn't happen very often, or you have a
bad shutdown (e.g. power failure), if OpenOffice had a document opened
in /tmp, you'll see this. The document might be gone but OOo is still
trying to diligently recover the now non-existent document. The solution
is to remove
.openoffice.org/3/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Recovery.xcu.
The path might be slightly different on your machine.

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis
1419-3266 Yonge St.
Toronto, ON