Old 12-03-2009, 01:55 AM
NoOp

Default "Could not open location 'file:///home/"

Odd occurance on one of my 9.04 gnome systems; not sure what I did to
cause this, but when I click 'Places|Home' or any other folder in
'Places' I get the following msg:

"Could not open location 'file:///home/<username>'
No application is registered as handling this file"

I've tried replacing .gnome, .gnome2, .gnome_private, .local, .config,
reinstalling just about every 'menu' & 'gnome' that I can find. It's
definately a configuration issue of sorts as I do not experience the
same with other users on the system.

I can open Nautilus via:
1. Applications|File Browser
2. Atlt-F2: Nautilus
etc. And all folders work just fine. Just can't do it from 'Places'.

I've googled:
<http://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+%2Bkarmic+%2B"Could+not+open+locat ion+'file:///home/"&complete=0&hl=en&filter=0>
and tried searching launchpad:
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text="Could+not+open+location+'file% 3A%2F%2F%2Fhome%2F">
and can't seem to find a solution (Note: I've added to
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/psad/+bug/477596 which is
filed against the wrong package).

So, I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Old 12-03-2009, 02:15 AM
NoOp

On 12/02/2009 06:55 PM, NoOp wrote:
> Odd occurance on one of my 9.04 gnome systems; not sure what I did to
> cause this, but when I click 'Places|Home' or any other folder in
> 'Places' I get the following msg:
>
> "Could not open location 'file:///home/<username>'
> No application is registered as handling this file"
>
> I've tried replacing .gnome, .gnome2, .gnome_private, .local, .config,
> reinstalling just about every 'menu' & 'gnome' that I can find. It's
> definately a configuration issue of sorts as I do not experience the
> same with other users on the system.
>
> I can open Nautilus via:
> 1. Applications|File Browser
> 2. Atlt-F2: Nautilus
> etc. And all folders work just fine. Just can't do it from 'Places'.
>
> I've googled:
> <http://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+%2Bkarmic+%2B"Could+not+open+locat ion+'file:///home/"&complete=0&hl=en&filter=0>
> and tried searching launchpad:
> <https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text="Could+not+open+location+'file% 3A%2F%2F%2Fhome%2F">
> and can't seem to find a solution (Note: I've added to
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/psad/+bug/477596 which is
> filed against the wrong package).
>
> So, I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Nevermind, found a fix in:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/260492
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/260492/comments/86>
<quote>
The places menu entries however did not work as per this bug report. Had
to right-click on a folder, select "open with another program..." and
then to pick nautilus as default application to open "this and other
files of type "folder" to fix this issue.
</quote>

Old 12-04-2009, 02:51 AM
Darshana Jayasinghe

Can u try installing 'Nautilus' again, It's the responsible for file browsing.
can u browse the folders from the terminal.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 8:45 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 12/02/2009 06:55 PM, NoOp wrote:

> Odd occurance on one of my 9.04 gnome systems; not sure what I did to

> cause this, but when I click 'Places|Home' or any other folder in

> 'Places' I get the following msg:

> "Could not open location 'file:///home/<username>'

> No application is registered as handling this file"

> I've tried replacing .gnome, .gnome2, .gnome_private, .local, .config,

> reinstalling just about every 'menu' & 'gnome' that I can find. It's

> definately a configuration issue of sorts as I do not experience the

> same with other users on the system.

> I can open Nautilus via:

> 1. Applications|File Browser

> 2. Atlt-F2: Nautilus

> etc. And all folders work just fine. Just can't do it from 'Places'.

> I've googled:

> <http://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+%2Bkarmic+%2B"Could+not+open+locat ion+'file:///home/"&complete=0&hl=en&filter=0>

> and tried searching launchpad:

> <https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text="Could+not+open+location+'file% 3A%2F%2F%2Fhome%2F">

> and can't seem to find a solution (Note: I've added to

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/psad/+bug/477596 which is

> filed against the wrong package).

> So, I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Nevermind, found a fix in:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/260492

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/260492/comments/86>

<quote>

The places menu entries however did not work as per this bug report. Had

to right-click on a folder, select "open with another program..." and

then to pick nautilus as default application to open "this and other

files of type "folder" to fix this issue.

</quote>

DÄrshana

Old 12-04-2009, 02:57 AM
NoOp

On 12/03/2009 07:51 PM, Darshana Jayasinghe wrote:
> Can u try installing 'Nautilus' again, It's the responsible for file
> browsing.
> can u browse the folders from the terminal.

No. I did that already & as you (u) will see from the above subject, the
issue has been resolved using the following: