Old 12-02-2009, 10:20 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Default IDE Problem

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:48:49 -0700
"Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On my new computer I have one SATA hdd that is fine. I have
> one IDE cable with two devices, one a hdd and the other a
> cd-rom read-write. I can not get both devices to show up in
> bios because I think I have the things set up badly.
>
> I have a choice on each Item to make it a Master or Slave or
> Cable Select. I have tried Master Slave and it failed. Tried
> CS but not all ways.
>
> Where can I read about this old problem?
>
> 73 Karl

/Not/ Ubuntu-specific, that's a hardware problem. May I suggest a
hardware list somewhere (else)?

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 12-02-2009, 10:29 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:48:49 -0700
> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On my new computer I have one SATA hdd that is fine. I have
>> one IDE cable with two devices, one a hdd and the other a
>> cd-rom read-write. I can not get both devices to show up in
>> bios because I think I have the things set up badly.
>>
>> I have a choice on each Item to make it a Master or Slave or
>> Cable Select. I have tried Master Slave and it failed. Tried
>> CS but not all ways.
>>
>> Where can I read about this old problem?
>>
>> 73 Karl
>>
> /Not/ Ubuntu-specific, that's a hardware problem. May I suggest a
> hardware list somewhere (else)?
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Please do. I will go there.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Andrew K

One must be set as master and one se as slave. It sounds like you have figured out how to change between them. Usually the hdd will be set as master with the cdrom as slave. Check to make sure that the master if it has an option is set to "master w/ slave." if that is not an option then just make it a master.

Also make sure bios isn't set to only allow a master or just a slave. Sometimes bios will have a setting for "none" or something where it won't even look for something like that.

Mriswithe

Old 12-02-2009, 11:02 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:29:48 -0700
"Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:48:49 -0700
> > "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On my new computer I have one SATA hdd that is fine. I
> >> have one IDE cable with two devices, one a hdd and the other a
> >> cd-rom read-write. I can not get both devices to show up in
> >> bios because I think I have the things set up badly.
> >>
> >> I have a choice on each Item to make it a Master or Slave
> >> or Cable Select. I have tried Master Slave and it failed. Tried
> >> CS but not all ways.
> >>
> >> Where can I read about this old problem?
> >>
> >> 73 Karl
> >>
> > /Not/ Ubuntu-specific, that's a hardware problem. May I suggest a
> > hardware list somewhere (else)?
> >
> > Cybe R. Wizard
>
> Please do. I will go there.
>
> Karl

Sign up here:
http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml
Here's a blurb:
"PCBUILD is a mailing list devoted to people interested in building,
upgrading and repairing personal computers in the PC format. PCBUILD is
strictly a hardware list. The discussion of software on the mailing
list is taboo, except for Operating Systems such as DOS, Win95, WinNT,
Unix, OS/2, Linux and others."

I think you'll enjoy it.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 12-02-2009, 11:18 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Andrew K wrote:
> One must be set as master and one se as slave. It sounds like you have figured out how to change between them. Usually the hdd will be set as master with the cdrom as slave. Check to make sure that the master if it has an option is set to "master w/ slave." if that is not an option then just make it a master.
>
> Also make sure bios isn't set to only allow a master or just a slave. Sometimes bios will have a setting for "none" or something where it won't even look for something like that.
>
> Mriswithe

It might be a bios problem. I tried one master one slave but
it only showed the slave device. I think the IDE hdd is bad.
It is old, the Maxtor made in 2000! So it has been spun a few
trillion times.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-02-2009, 11:21 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:29:48 -0700
> "Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

>>> /Not/ Ubuntu-specific, that's a hardware problem. May I suggest a
>>> hardware list somewhere (else)?
>>>
>>> Cybe R. Wizard
>> Please do. I will go there.
>>
>> Karl
>>
> Sign up here:
> http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml
> Here's a blurb:
> "PCBUILD is a mailing list devoted to people interested in building,
> upgrading and repairing personal computers in the PC format. PCBUILD is
> strictly a hardware list. The discussion of software on the mailing
> list is taboo, except for Operating Systems such as DOS, Win95, WinNT,
> Unix, OS/2, Linux and others."
>
> I think you'll enjoy it.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard
Thanks I will try it.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Andrew K

I would say now try with the hdd set as slave and if it doesn't see it then I agree. If it does see it then, a diff ide cable would be worth a shot. Actually if you have one on hand trying a new (read: different) ide cable can't hurt either way. But if through all of this nothing makes that hdd show its face in bios, then I agree: bad hdd.

BTW sorry for the top posting tough on my phone to make that happen.

Mriswithe

Old 12-03-2009, 07:08 AM
Jozsef

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> On my new computer I have one SATA hdd that is fine. I have
> one IDE cable with two devices, one a hdd and the other a
> cd-rom read-write. I can not get both devices to show up in
> bios because I think I have the things set up badly.
>
> I have a choice on each Item to make it a Master or Slave or
> Cable Select. I have tried Master Slave and it failed. Tried
> CS but not all ways.
>
> Where can I read about this old problem?
>
> 73 Karl

Try to connect the jumper to Master on the device which is connected to
the first connector on IDE cable. And on the second device put the
jumper on slave. Master should be the HDD, slave you CD-Rom.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Colin Law

2009/12/3 Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>:
> * * * *It might be a bios problem. I tried one master one slave but
> it only showed the slave device. I think the IDE hdd is bad.
> It is old, the Maxtor made in 2000! So it has been spun a few
> trillion times.

That was a fast disk for 2000, 3 trillion in 9 years is 635,000 rpm.

Colin

Old 12-03-2009, 12:30 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Andrew K wrote:
> I would say now try with the hdd set as slave and if it doesn't see it then I agree. If it does see it then, a diff ide cable would be worth a shot. Actually if you have one on hand trying a new (read: different) ide cable can't hurt either way. But if through all of this nothing makes that hdd show its face in bios, then I agree: bad hdd.
>
> BTW sorry for the top posting tough on my phone to make that happen.
>
> Mriswithe

It appears the 7 year old hdd is bad at least to the extent
that it can't boot. Must have a bad MBR.

Thanks for the help.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI