FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-04-2008, 06:39 PM
David Vincent
 
Default external storage for linux

hi list.

i'm looking at my options as i try to trim the number of computers i run
in the house yet retain some fault tolerance for my data.

i'm interested in recommendations from anyone on what to use as
500gb/1tb external storage with some fault tolerance. this would be to
replace a pc running three drives in a raid-5 which is hooked up to ups
and shuts down nicely when the power goes out. raid-1 would be a
minimum for me. power handling is a nice extra.

which leads me to ask if i put two 500gb drives in two different
external enclosures and hook those up to two usb ports on a machine, can
i raid-1 them? mounting them to the same spot is easy with uuids etc so
without trying it i think it should work. maybe someone out there
already knows and could offer some advice.

how about external NAS systems?

thanks!

-d

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Sean Carolan
 
Default external storage for linux

> which leads me to ask if i put two 500gb drives in two different
> external enclosures and hook those up to two usb ports on a machine, can
> i raid-1 them? mounting them to the same spot is easy with uuids etc so
> without trying it i think it should work. maybe someone out there
> already knows and could offer some advice.

Yes, you can do this with USB 2.0 but transfer speeds may be slower than
with internal drives.

> how about external NAS systems?

I use a Kurobox with one internal drive, and one external drive. I
regularly sync the internal drive to the external one. There may be
other NAS systems out there that would work for you. I like the kuro
because it's small, uses very little power and is almost silent.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 07:27 PM
"Justin Gruenberg"
 
Default external storage for linux

On Jan 5, 2008 2:08 PM, Sean Carolan <scarolan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use a Kurobox with one internal drive, and one external drive. I
> regularly sync the internal drive to the external one. There may be
> other NAS systems out there that would work for you. I like the kuro
> because it's small, uses very little power and is almost silent.

The kurobox looks really nice--is there a plan to release a multi
drive enclosure so RAID could be used? That would be a killer
feature.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Bart Silverstrim
 
Default external storage for linux

David Vincent wrote:
> hi list.
>
> i'm looking at my options as i try to trim the number of computers i run
> in the house yet retain some fault tolerance for my data.

The solution I use is:

A) my workstation (Ubuntu 7.10) has a 3ware card in it for hardware
RAID-1. Not cheap, but I have had good luck with 3Ware in the past.

B) I have 2 USB drives (Western Digital Mybooks), 250 gig each, attached
to the workstation.

I don't have a "from bare metal" restore. I keep my files organized on
my system so 90% of what I keep is under ~/files. I run "sync" to copy
(via rsync) the data on ~/files to drive A. The rest of my files I keep
under a couple directories on drive A (so A has a A/myfiles,
A/workfiles, etc.), and the sync script then does an rsync from A to
drive B.

In other words, my sync script (more like a simple batch file) rsyncs my
workstation's ~/files dir to A, then rsyncs all of A to B. One drive
dies, I have the second one to copy back from.

I could probably just slap sync into cron for nightly backups if I
really wanted to...

-Bart

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Sean Carolan
 
Default external storage for linux

> The kurobox looks really nice--is there a plan to release a multi
> drive enclosure so RAID could be used? That would be a killer
> feature.

I'm not sure, but you might search around for one of these Terabyte NAS
devices that has two 500gb drives. I know that there are some out there
that let you choose whether to do RAID1 or RAID0 when you set them up.

And yes, the kurobox is sweet - I use it for backups and serving media
files to Xbox media center, and for streaming music to the home network.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Phil Tann
 
Default external storage for linux

On Saturday 05 January 2008 06:09:33 David Vincent wrote:
> hi list.
>
> i'm looking at my options as i try to trim the number of computers i run
> in the house yet retain some fault tolerance for my data.
>
> how about external NAS systems?
I have a Linksys NAS200, BRILLIANT box, it's compatible to Samba and Windows
which I found very handy having 3 OS' running on various machines around the
house. 2 SATA drives plug straight in (installation takes less than 10
mins), single drive arrays, mirror or stripe as you wish and it will
automatically go into standby after a set period making it silent and does
not kill your drives after 6 months because they've been running 24/7. The
standby mode also makes it a very good option for power saving. FTP Capable
etc... you get the picture.

You should be able to get one for under $200 Retail (plus drives) if not
contact me off list and I can help you out.

http://www-au.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=AU%2FLayout &cid=1175236835409&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVis itorWrapper&lid=3540982545B01


--
Phil Tann
phil@philtann.com
Mobile: 0404 098 268

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-05-2008, 05:20 PM
David Vincent
 
Default external storage for linux

Sean Carolan wrote:
> I'm not sure, but you might search around for one of these Terabyte NAS
> devices that has two 500gb drives. I know that there are some out there
> that let you choose whether to do RAID1 or RAID0 when you set them up.

exactly what i am looking for. although i'm leaning towards building my
own as the high-end units cost too much (the warranty is only 3yrs on
most of them) and the low-end units only give a one year warranty on the
drive. for $160 here i can get an ide 500gb drive to go into one of my
external enclosures and that drive has a 5yr warranty. hence my musing
about doing raid-1 with two attached usb drives.

(i know i know, ide - ugh - but that's what my enclosure supports.
eventually i'll upgrade to a sata one.)

> And yes, the kurobox is sweet - I use it for backups and serving media
> files to Xbox media center, and for streaming music to the home network.

read my mind! xbmc is a hungry beast isn't it!



-d

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-05-2008, 05:20 PM
David Vincent
 
Default external storage for linux

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> The solution I use is:
>
> A) my workstation (Ubuntu 7.10) has a 3ware card in it for hardware
> RAID-1. Not cheap, but I have had good luck with 3Ware in the past.
>
> B) I have 2 USB drives (Western Digital Mybooks), 250 gig each, attached
> to the workstation.
>
> I don't have a "from bare metal" restore. I keep my files organized on
> my system so 90% of what I keep is under ~/files. I run "sync" to copy
> (via rsync) the data on ~/files to drive A. The rest of my files I keep
> under a couple directories on drive A (so A has a A/myfiles,
> A/workfiles, etc.), and the sync script then does an rsync from A to
> drive B.

thanks bart. that's pretty similar to what i'm doing right now. i keep
multiple copies of my documents. media, and /home across a few machines
and external drives in case of a single drive failure. if there is a
fire i can grab just the external drives and save my critical stuff.

do the mybook drives spin down or go into any power-saving mode? i'll
confess i really really like western digital as a brand, they have
always been good to me.

-d


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-05-2008, 05:20 PM
David Vincent
 
Default external storage for linux

Sean Carolan wrote:
>> which leads me to ask if i put two 500gb drives in two different
>> external enclosures and hook those up to two usb ports on a machine, can
>> i raid-1 them? mounting them to the same spot is easy with uuids etc so
>> without trying it i think it should work. maybe someone out there
>> already knows and could offer some advice.
>
> Yes, you can do this with USB 2.0 but transfer speeds may be slower than
> with internal drives.

hehe, good point. happily transfer speeds are not critical to me and my
little home network (i get just horrible throughput on my raid-5! three
ide drives working at ata-33 speeds - ugh!)

>> how about external NAS systems?
>
> I use a Kurobox with one internal drive, and one external drive. I
> regularly sync the internal drive to the external one. There may be
> other NAS systems out there that would work for you. I like the kuro
> because it's small, uses very little power and is almost silent.

i'll take a peek. thanks.

-d




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 01-05-2008, 05:20 PM
David Vincent
 
Default external storage for linux

Phil Tann wrote:
> I have a Linksys NAS200, BRILLIANT box, it's compatible to Samba and Windows
> which I found very handy having 3 OS' running on various machines around the
> house. 2 SATA drives plug straight in (installation takes less than 10
> mins), single drive arrays, mirror or stripe as you wish and it will
> automatically go into standby after a set period making it silent and does
> not kill your drives after 6 months because they've been running 24/7. The
> standby mode also makes it a very good option for power saving. FTP Capable
> etc... you get the picture.
>
> You should be able to get one for under $200 Retail (plus drives) if not
> contact me off list and I can help you out.
>
> http://www-au.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=AU%2FLayout &cid=1175236835409&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVis itorWrapper&lid=3540982545B01

now THAT is what i am looking for. i'll be taking a closer look at this
for sure. i'm sure 3com/dlink/netgear/belkin have competing products too.

when it goes into standby does it come out gracefully? for example can
you stream media from it, pause your media stream, have the linksys go
into standby, resume playback and have it wake up the linksys and keep
going with the stream without dropping?

thanks!

-d


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:33 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org