Old 12-02-2009, 06:06 PM
"Bob"

Default login and pw

Is it possible to find out what My
login and pw is?
I have been working on setting up a
home server but got busy with work and had set it aside for a while and forgot
my info.
*
Thanks
Bob

Old 12-02-2009, 06:21 PM
"Carl Friis-Hansen"

On Wed, December 2, 2009 20:06, Bob wrote:
> Is it possible to find out what My login and pw is?
> I have been working on setting up a home server but got busy with work and
> had set it aside for a while and forgot my info.

http://nomi.ibnmasud.com/blog/reset-your-lost-ubuntu-password/

Hope this works, otherwise come again.

--
---------=oOOo=---------
Carl Friis-Hansen

Old 12-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Gilles Gravier

It's like trying to break into a machine.

Linux (in general) and Ubuntu (in particular) is designed to make that
HARD if not IMPOSSIBLE.

So I'm going to assume you are the LEGITIMATE user of your machine...

You need to boot with a Ubuntu live CD (which, if this really isyour
machine and you just installed it, you should still have). Then when you
have booted, you mount the machine's hard disk (/ partition) on, say,
/mnt (Ubuntu will do that more or less automatically for you).

Then you navigate to that partition's /etc directory ... so this will be
something like /mnt/ubuntu/etc (but names might vary - just don't use
simple /etc, that's on your live CD).

In the hard disk's /etc you will find a file called passwd... this is
where all users have their login names. You will find yours (or the one
of the user you are trying to hack).

For the password, most likely, it's impossible... Ubuntu, by default,
uses encryption that is not breakable with today's computers available
to people like you and me (and I work for Sun, I have some REALY FANCY
hardware available). What you can do is edit the file called etc/shadow
in the server's hard disk, and remove the encryption string (looks like
a bunch of random caracters) and that will leave you with a blank password.

Alternatively, you could "chroot" to the /mnt/ubuntu/ (your server's
mounted /), still from the live CD, and issue a "sudo passwd YourUser"
and simply change the password to a known value. (chroot /mnt/ubuntu
sudo passwd YourUser)...

Note that these 2 methods let you reset YOUR password to something YOU
know. If you are trying to break into somebody's account by doing that,
they WILL notice the changed password (and, also, in some countries,
that is plain illegal).

Hope this helps,
Gilles

Old 12-02-2009, 07:03 PM
"Bob"

Thanks for the info.
This is my machine. There is nothing on it at all. I've been trying to make
the switch from ms home server to Ubuntu but I own a landscape company and
got really busy. Installed the disk and had to set it aside until I had more
time to learn and mess with it. That was back in June I think.

I probably could just reinstall the software since there is nothing on the
HD.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:04 PM
"Bob"

Thanks!!!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Gilles Gravier

Probably faster to re-install, indeed...with a RECENT Ubuntu (9.10).

In June you only had 9.04...

Gilles

Old 12-03-2009, 12:16 AM
"Mark C. Miller"

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 14:06:47 -0500, Bob wrote:

> Is it possible to find out what My login and pw is? I have been working
> on setting up a home server but got busy with work and had set it aside
> for a while and forgot my info.

I just attended a conference where they used system rescue cd to reset
passwords. You might want to take a look at it:

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

mcm
--
Mark C. Miller, Indianapolis IN, USA

Old 12-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Ray Leventhal

Mark C. Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 14:06:47 -0500, Bob wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to find out what My login and pw is? I have been working
>> on setting up a home server but got busy with work and had set it aside
>> for a while and forgot my info.
>
> I just attended a conference where they used system rescue cd to reset
> passwords. You might want to take a look at it:
>
> http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
>

> mcm
I always have believed that if I was in front of a system, I could own
it, password wise. The use of a live cd and quick use of chroot and
passwd makes even the most embarrassing 'i forgot' moments go away quickly.

The URL listed is quite good (from my initial quick read) and appears to
have a lot of utilities for such instances.

TY for the link.

-Ray