Old 12-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Ray Parrish

Default Numeric keypad not working.

Hello,

I have an HP keyboard a friend gave me, and for some reason the numeric
keypad isn't working in Ubuntu. It works just fine in Windows, so I'm
assuming there is something wrong with the setting for which keyboard is
configured.

Can someone point out my options, and a method of solving the problem?

Thanks, Ray Parrish

--
The Future of Technology.
http://www.rayslinks.com/The%20Future%20of%20Technology.html

Old 12-02-2009, 09:23 AM
"Carl Friis-Hansen"

On Wed, December 2, 2009 11:15, Ray Parrish wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an HP keyboard a friend gave me, and for some reason the numeric
> keypad isn't working in Ubuntu. It works just fine in Windows, so I'm
> assuming there is something wrong with the setting for which keyboard is
> configured.
>
> Can someone point out my options, and a method of solving the problem?

I guess you just need to select the layout than matches your keyboard.
Assuming you are using Gnome desktop, you would probably like to go to:

System --> Preferences --> Keyboard --> Layouts --> Keyboard model:

and choose for example "Generic 105-key (Intl) PC"

--
---------=oOOo=---------
Carl Friis-Hansen

Old 12-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Steve

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:23:45 -0000, Carl Friis-Hansen
<ubuntuuser@carl-fh.com> wrote:

> On Wed, December 2, 2009 11:15, Ray Parrish wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have an HP keyboard a friend gave me, and for some reason the numeric
>> keypad isn't working in Ubuntu. It works just fine in Windows, so I'm
>> assuming there is something wrong with the setting for which keyboard is
>> configured.
>>
>> Can someone point out my options, and a method of solving the problem?
>
> I guess you just need to select the layout than matches your keyboard.
> Assuming you are using Gnome desktop, you would probably like to go to:
>
> System --> Preferences --> Keyboard --> Layouts --> Keyboard model:
>
> and choose for example "Generic 105-key (Intl) PC"

Have you pressed the Num Lock key. I have a Packard Bell keyboard that
has the Num Lock LED on after boot up but, the Num Lock key has to bee
pressed twice to key the numeric pad to work.

--
Steve

Old 12-03-2009, 03:37 AM
Darshana Jayasinghe

Can you try updating the system, sometimes this can be happen due to
driver problems. Is this a usb key board?

On 12/3/09, Steve <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:23:45 -0000, Carl Friis-Hansen
> <ubuntuuser@carl-fh.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, December 2, 2009 11:15, Ray Parrish wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have an HP keyboard a friend gave me, and for some reason the numeric
>>> keypad isn't working in Ubuntu. It works just fine in Windows, so I'm
>>> assuming there is something wrong with the setting for which keyboard is
>>> configured.
>>>
>>> Can someone point out my options, and a method of solving the problem?
>>
>> I guess you just need to select the layout than matches your keyboard.
>> Assuming you are using Gnome desktop, you would probably like to go to:
>>
>> System --> Preferences --> Keyboard --> Layouts --> Keyboard model:
>>
>> and choose for example "Generic 105-key (Intl) PC"
>>
> Have you pressed the Num Lock key. I have a Packard Bell keyboard that
> has the Num Lock LED on after boot up but, the Num Lock key has to bee
> pressed twice to key the numeric pad to work.
>
> --
> Steve

DÄrshana

Old 12-03-2009, 03:52 AM
Fred Roller

Steve wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:23:45 -0000, Carl Friis-Hansen
> <ubuntuuser@carl-fh.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, December 2, 2009 11:15, Ray Parrish wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have an HP keyboard a friend gave me, and for some reason the numeric
>>> keypad isn't working in Ubuntu. It works just fine in Windows, so I'm
>>> assuming there is something wrong with the setting for which keyboard is
>>> configured.
>>>
>>> Can someone point out my options, and a method of solving the problem?
>>>
>> I guess you just need to select the layout than matches your keyboard.
>> Assuming you are using Gnome desktop, you would probably like to go to:
>>
>> System --> Preferences --> Keyboard --> Layouts --> Keyboard model:
>>
>> and choose for example "Generic 105-key (Intl) PC"
>>

> Have you pressed the Num Lock key. I have a Packard Bell keyboard that
> has the Num Lock LED on after boot up but, the Num Lock key has to bee
> pressed twice to key the numeric pad to work.

Same here. Ubuntu starts with the numbers turned off, at least in every
build I have done, and num lock needs to be pressed. Usually only needs
to be done the first time and is remembered.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."

Old 12-03-2009, 04:01 AM
NoOp

On 12/02/2009 08:52 PM, Fred Roller wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:23:45 -0000, Carl Friis-Hansen
>> <ubuntuuser@carl-fh.com> wrote:

>>> I guess you just need to select the layout than matches your keyboard.
>>> Assuming you are using Gnome desktop, you would probably like to go to:
>>>
>>> System --> Preferences --> Keyboard --> Layouts --> Keyboard model:
>>>
>>> and choose for example "Generic 105-key (Intl) PC"
>>>

>> Have you pressed the Num Lock key. I have a Packard Bell keyboard that
>> has the Num Lock LED on after boot up but, the Num Lock key has to bee
>> pressed twice to key the numeric pad to work.
>>

> Same here. Ubuntu starts with the numbers turned off, at least in every
> build I have done, and num lock needs to be pressed. Usually only needs
> to be done the first time and is remembered.

Perhaps this will help:
<http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Karmic#Enabling_NUM_LOCK_On_Startup>

Old 12-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Ray Parrish

Fred Roller wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:23:45 -0000, Carl Friis-Hansen
>> <ubuntuuser@carl-fh.com> wrote:

>>> I guess you just need to select the layout than matches your keyboard.
>>> Assuming you are using Gnome desktop, you would probably like to go to:
>>>
>>> System --> Preferences --> Keyboard --> Layouts --> Keyboard model:
>>>
>>> and choose for example "Generic 105-key (Intl) PC"
>>>

>> Have you pressed the Num Lock key. I have a Packard Bell keyboard that
>> has the Num Lock LED on after boot up but, the Num Lock key has to bee
>> pressed twice to key the numeric pad to work.
>>

> Same here. Ubuntu starts with the numbers turned off, at least in every
> build I have done, and num lock needs to be pressed. Usually only needs
> to be done the first time and is remembered.

I've pressed the numlock key a hundred times, and still no joy. I tried
the keyboard configuration dialog,and selected the HP Internet keyboard,
as that is what it is, but still the numeric keypad will not respond.

Thanks for the tips 'thogh. I quess I'll just hve to keep using the top
row of keys for now.

Later, Ray Parrish

Old 12-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Colin Law

2009/12/3 Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net>:
> Fred Roller wrote:
>> Steve wrote:

Did you try this?

Colin

Old 12-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Steve

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 12:32:45 -0000, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:

> I've pressed the numlock key a hundred times, and still no joy. I tried
> the keyboard configuration dialog,and selected the HP Internet keyboard,
> as that is what it is, but still the numeric keypad will not respond.
>
> Thanks for the tips 'thogh. I quess I'll just hve to keep using the top
> row of keys for now.
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

The other place to look is in the BIOS settings. Some machines have a
setting for switching the NUM Lock off/on at boot up.

--
Steve