Old 12-01-2009, 03:14 PM
ssc1478

Default ubuntu to ubuntu file sharing

I have a Ubuntu server, and using Samba my Windows PC's have no
trouble viewing the folders in Windows Explorer.

My problem is with other Ubuntu PC's. They can't view the folders, or
even find the server in Nautilus. They can only get to the workgroup
icon.

Where can I find documentation on how to configure this? I'm sure its
readily available but I haven't been able to find it!

Thanks,

Phil

Old 12-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Alan McKay

You want NFS

man exports
man mount

/etc/exports (server)
/etc/fstab (client)

It is quite easy.

Server side :
[root@fileserver ~]# cat /etc/exports
/data/shared (rw)

Client side :
[amckay@alan ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
[...]
fileserver:/data/shared /mnt/shared nfs rsize=32768,wsize=32768,timeo=14,intr

This assumes /mnt/shared exists on the client an has perms 0777

I'm not sure of the exact way to ensure this starts at boot up - I
have the above configured on CentOS and am new to Ubuntu. But this is
all simple UNIX NFS stuff.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:25 PM
NoOp

On 12/01/2009 01:48 PM, Alan McKay wrote:
> You want NFS

Who are you talking to? Please at least include some attribution & some
quotes as to who you are replying to.

But in response - I doubt it:
<quote from OP>
Samba my Windows PC's>
</quote from OP>

@ssc1478: You need to specify which version of Ubuntu you are talking
about. Are you talking about 8.04 (hardy), 9.04 (jaunty), or 9.10
(karmic)? There are different issues with samba for each. You can find
out which you are using:

To display the version from the GUI:

1. Go to the Main Menu.

2. Click System, mouseover Administration and select System Monitor.

3. Select the System tab. The version of Ubuntu will be displayed along
with info on the Kernel, GNOME version, memory, processor and available
disk space.

To display the version from the terminal:

1. Open a terminal window.

2. Execute the following command:lsb_release -a

Example:
$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 9.10
Codename: karmic

Old 12-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Alan McKay

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:25 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Who are you talking to? Please at least include some attribution & some
> quotes as to who you are replying to.

Don't worry, with an attitude like that, it certainly won't ever be you!

To the original poster of course. With all the bluster, you didn't
even seem to read what he'd written, and were of far less help than I
was

<quote from OP>
My problem is with other Ubuntu PC's.
</quote from OP>

BTW, read the subject. It sort of says a lot too :-)

Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 PM
NoOp

On 12/01/2009 04:34 PM, Alan McKay wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:25 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Who are you talking to? Please at least include some attribution & some
>> quotes as to who you are replying to.
>
> Don't worry, with an attitude like that, it certainly won't ever be you!

Good job.

> To the original poster of course. With all the bluster, you didn't
> even seem to read what he'd written, and were of far less help than I
> was
>
> <quote from OP>
> My problem is with other Ubuntu PC's.
> </quote from OP>
>
> BTW, read the subject. It sort of says a lot too :-)

I did, and I also read the OP's post:

> I have a Ubuntu server, and using Samba my Windows PC's have no
> trouble viewing the folders in Windows Explorer.
>
> My problem is with other Ubuntu PC's. They can't view the folders, or
> even find the server in Nautilus. They can only get to the workgroup
> icon.

He is using samba and having problems with *samba* between his Ubuntu
machines. Clear?

Regarding "were of far less help than I"; I am at least trying to
determine which version of Ubuntu he is using in order to assist with
his *samba* issue. You on the otherhand simply suggested he use NFS
instead. How does that resolve his problem?

Old 12-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Alan McKay

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:44 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Regarding "were of far less help than I"; I am at least trying to
> determine which version of Ubuntu he is using in order to assist with
> his *samba* issue. You on the otherhand simply suggested he use NFS
> instead. How does that resolve his problem?

Because he should be using NFS for UNIX-to-UNIX file transfers, no?

Version of Ubuntu won't matter much because this has pretty much been
working fine for some decades now, on any flavour of UNIX

Old 12-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Alan McKay

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 11:14 AM, ssc1478 <ssc1478@aim.com> wrote:
> My problem is with other Ubuntu PC's.

Please read this recent thread for some opinions on using SAMBA for
Unix to Unix xfer

http://www.mail-archive.com/centos@centos.org/msg45922.html

Old 12-01-2009, 11:55 PM
John Abbott

Gee aren't these the very same bash commands that you were jumping on others about.**** I'm Unsubed so this may not post.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:57 PM
NoOp

On 12/01/2009 04:47 PM, Alan McKay wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 7:44 PM, NoOp <AKcan'tconfigureemailclienttonotshowemailaddres s> wrote:
>> Regarding "were of far less help than I"; I am at least trying to
>> determine which version of Ubuntu he is using in order to assist with
>> his *samba* issue. You on the otherhand simply suggested he use NFS
>> instead. How does that resolve his problem?
>
> Because he should be using NFS for UNIX-to-UNIX file transfers, no?

It's certainly an option, but the grand answer is not necessarily. He
can easily use samba, and in fact samba is the default on Ubuntu karmic
(you can google it). If he has Win machines on his network, then it's
just as easy to configure samba all around.

> Version of Ubuntu won't matter much because this has pretty much been
> working fine for some decades now, on any flavour of UNIX

Nonsense. There are considerable differences between flavours of samba
on 8.04, 9.04, and 9.10. I've found that for the most part samba w/9.10
just works across my machines. I suspect the same for NSF.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:06 AM
Avi Greenbury

NoOp wrote:

> On 12/01/2009 04:47 PM, Alan McKay wrote:
> > Because he should be using NFS for UNIX-to-UNIX file transfers, no?
>
> It's certainly an option, but the grand answer is not necessarily. He
> can easily use samba, and in fact samba is the default on Ubuntu
> karmic (you can google it). If he has Win machines on his network,
> then it's just as easy to configure samba all around.

Generally, with nix-nix file sharing it does make sense to point out
NFS. It's substantially easier to configure and use than Samba, and, in
my experience, vastly more reliable and consistent, as you yourself
point out:

> There are considerable differences between flavours of samba
> on 8.04, 9.04, and 9.10. I've found that for the most part samba
> w/9.10 just works across my machines. I suspect the same for NSF.

This depends, of course, on what the problem behind OP's question is.
If he just wants to share files between the boxes, my opinion is that
NFS is the better way to do it. If he specifically wants to do it with
Samba, personally I'd question why before getting into the details of
the different ways to implement Samba between different versions of
ubuntu - his problem with NFS that Samba solves might well be better
solved by something else. I do feel Samba is touted as _the_ way to
share files far too much (and this does seem rather peculiar to
ubuntu). It's a complicated system, it's really easy to configure it as
an insecure one and generally non-trivial to configure it as a
consistent and functional one. Certainly there's far more to it than
for NFS.

Anyway, I've nothing of a technical nature to add to this thread - NFS
has been done and Samba pointedly refuses to be understood by me - so
I'll shut up now.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk