Old 12-01-2009, 02:53 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default Karmic 9.10 new kernel BAD!

This morning I was trying to use my Karmic to check things
with my Thunderbird and everything failed! I was not able to
see anything I wanted.

Every morning this week I turn on the monitor and there is a
jitter to the image, everything is jittering. I read a message
and the jitter stops.

So I reboot and noticed the new kernel I was using. I reboot
using the next oldest kernel and all is well again with Karmic.

So if your seeing what I saw or other odd effect this last
week with Karmic, do try the earlier kernel. It makes it work
a lot better.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Leonard

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

This morning I was trying to use my Karmic to check things
with my Thunderbird and everything failed! I was not able to
see anything I wanted.

Every morning this week I turn on the monitor and there is a
jitter to the image, everything is jittering. I read a message
and the jitter stops.

So I reboot and noticed the new kernel I was using. I reboot
using the next oldest kernel and all is well again with Karmic.

So if your seeing what I saw or other odd effect this last
week with Karmic, do try the earlier kernel. It makes it work
a lot better.

73 Karl

Too much generalities in your post. It would be helpful to everyone if
you said just which
kernel you had trouble with and what graphics card you are using along
with the driver.
In my case it's the linux-image-2.6.31-15 generic(Karmic with
kubuntu-desktop)
64 bit and nVidia GeForce 9400 GT card using the latest proprietary
driver nvidia-glx-185
The -15 kernel has been out for quite some time now. Are you just now
noticing problems with
it? Likely it was one of the more recent updates that didn't include
the newest kernel. JMO.

--
Leonard
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Dotan Cohen

> * * * *This morning I was trying to use my Karmic to check things
> with my Thunderbird and everything failed! I was not able to
> see anything I wanted.
>
> * * * *Every morning this week I turn on the monitor and there is a
> jitter to the image, everything is jittering. I read a message
> and the jitter stops.
>
> * * * *So I reboot and noticed the new kernel I was using. I reboot
> using the next oldest kernel and all is well again with Karmic.
>
> * * * *So if your seeing what I saw or other odd effect this last
> week with Karmic, do try the earlier kernel. It makes it work
> a lot better.

Please link to the bug that you filed or commented on so that I could
triage properly. Thanks, Karl.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 12-01-2009, 04:41 PM
NoOp

On 12/01/2009 07:53 AM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> This morning I was trying to use my Karmic to check things
> with my Thunderbird and everything failed! I was not able to
> see anything I wanted.
>
> Every morning this week I turn on the monitor and there is a
> jitter to the image, everything is jittering. I read a message
> and the jitter stops.
>
> So I reboot and noticed the new kernel I was using. I reboot
> using the next oldest kernel and all is well again with Karmic.
>
> So if your seeing what I saw or other odd effect this last
> week with Karmic, do try the earlier kernel. It makes it work
> a lot better.
>

> 73 Karl

Yo Karl... you might want to at least mention *which* kernel(s) you are
talking about.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:58 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> This morning I was trying to use my Karmic to check things
>> with my Thunderbird and everything failed! I was not able to
>> see anything I wanted.
>>
>> Every morning this week I turn on the monitor and there is a
>> jitter to the image, everything is jittering. I read a message
>> and the jitter stops.
>>
>> So I reboot and noticed the new kernel I was using. I reboot
>> using the next oldest kernel and all is well again with Karmic.
>>
>> So if your seeing what I saw or other odd effect this last
>> week with Karmic, do try the earlier kernel. It makes it work
>> a lot better.
>>

> Please link to the bug that you filed or commented on so that I could
> triage properly. Thanks, Karl.

I have not started a bug report. From what Len has said the
problem appears to be wide-spread. I need to find the proper
bug report.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Dotan Cohen

> * * * *I have not started a bug report. From what Len has said the
> problem appears to be wide-spread. I need to find the proper
> bug report.

Please do, thanks. Don't forget to post the link when you do.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 12-01-2009, 08:18 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Â Â Â Â This morning I was trying to use my Karmic to check things
>> with my Thunderbird and everything failed! I was not able to
>> see anything I wanted.
>>
>> Â Â Â Â Every morning this week I turn on the monitor and there is a
>> jitter to the image, everything is jittering. I read a message
>> and the jitter stops.
>>
>> Â Â Â Â So I reboot and noticed the new kernel I was using. I reboot
>> using the next oldest kernel and all is well again with Karmic.
>>
>> Â Â Â Â So if your seeing what I saw or other odd effect this last
>> week with Karmic, do try the earlier kernel. It makes it work
>> a lot better.
>>

> Please link to the bug that you filed or commented on so that I could
> triage properly. Thanks, Karl.

I tried to but the bug system is broken! I got this:

Karl Larsen •
Timeout error

Our edge server has a lower timeout threshold than
launchpad.net, so we can catch those before they hit a wider
audience. As a member of the Launchpad Beta Testers team,
you're more likely to experience them. If this is blocking
your work, you can disable redirection.

Disable redirection for 2 hours

Sorry, something just went wrong in Launchpad.

We’ve recorded what happened, and we’ll fix it as soon as
possible. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Trying again in a couple of minutes might work.

(Error ID: OOPS-1431H2568)

This makes me think the Launchpad is bad. I will try again
tomorrow.

73 karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-01-2009, 08:29 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/01/2009 07:53 AM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> This morning I was trying to use my Karmic to check things
>> with my Thunderbird and everything failed! I was not able to
>> see anything I wanted.
>>
>> Every morning this week I turn on the monitor and there is a
>> jitter to the image, everything is jittering. I read a message
>> and the jitter stops.
>>
>> So I reboot and noticed the new kernel I was using. I reboot
>> using the next oldest kernel and all is well again with Karmic.
>>
>> So if your seeing what I saw or other odd effect this last
>> week with Karmic, do try the earlier kernel. It makes it work
>> a lot better.
>>

>> 73 Karl
>>

> Yo Karl... you might want to at least mention *which* kernel(s) you are
> talking about.

I am trying to write a bug on the bad kernel but launchpad is
broken. See my other email today for the details.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-01-2009, 11:18 PM
NoOp

On 12/01/2009 01:29 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 12/01/2009 07:53 AM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>> This morning I was trying to use my Karmic to check things
>>> with my Thunderbird and everything failed! I was not able to
>>> see anything I wanted.
>>>
>>> Every morning this week I turn on the monitor and there is a
>>> jitter to the image, everything is jittering. I read a message
>>> and the jitter stops.
>>>
>>> So I reboot and noticed the new kernel I was using. I reboot
>>> using the next oldest kernel and all is well again with Karmic.
>>>
>>> So if your seeing what I saw or other odd effect this last
>>> week with Karmic, do try the earlier kernel. It makes it work
>>> a lot better.
>>>

>>> 73 Karl
>>>

>> Yo Karl... you might want to at least mention *which* kernel(s) you are
>> talking about.
>>

> I am trying to write a bug on the bad kernel but launchpad is
> broken. See my other email today for the details.

Karl, post the kernel(s) that you are writing about! Nobody has a clue
as to which kernel(s) you are talking about. For your current kernel:

$ uname -a

Clear?

Old 12-01-2009, 11:45 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

NoOp wrote:
> On 12/01/2009 01:29 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:

>>> Yo Karl... you might want to at least mention *which* kernel(s) you are
>>> talking about.
>>>

>> I am trying to write a bug on the bad kernel but launchpad is
>> broken. See my other email today for the details.
>
> Karl, post the kernel(s) that you are writing about! Nobody has a clue
> as to which kernel(s) you are talking about. For your current kernel:
>
> $ uname -a
>
> Clear?

I posted it 3 times. I tried to write a bug but that is
broken. I am real tired of your request's.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User