-   -   Why are there so many Mozilla plugins directories? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/288716-why-there-so-many-mozilla-plugins-directories.html)

Liam Proven 12-01-2009 01:43 PM

Why are there so many Mozilla plugins directories?

I seem to find, on 9.04 or 9.10, that there are separate directories for:

/usr/lib/firefox/plugins
/usr/lib/firefox-[version]/plugins
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
/usr/lib/xulrunner/plugins
/usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins

Some of these are links to other ones, some are empty.

Most contain symlinks to various things in /etc/alternatives which
then link to actual plugins for media players, java, etc.

Why so many? Wouldn't a single linked or union directory be easier, or
am I missing something important?

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Leonard 12-01-2009 04:07 PM

Liam Proven wrote:

I seem to find, on 9.04 or 9.10, that there are separate directories for:

/usr/lib/firefox/plugins
/usr/lib/firefox-[version]/plugins
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
/usr/lib/xulrunner/plugins
/usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins

Some of these are links to other ones, some are empty.

Most contain symlinks to various things in /etc/alternatives which
then link to actual plugins for media players, java, etc.

Why so many? Wouldn't a single linked or union directory be easier, or
am I missing something important?

Your suggestion is logical therefore not implemented-:o) Actually, I
don't know why it is that
way but prefer to have it as you suggest. I find there are too many
symlinks in Linux/Ubuntu
any way and if you look you'll find many are broken. Maybe some
developer can shed some

light why this is so.

--
Leonard
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Florian Diesch 12-02-2009 03:30 AM

Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> writes:

> I seem to find, on 9.04 or 9.10, that there are separate directories for:
>
> /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
> /usr/lib/firefox-[version]/plugins
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
> /usr/lib/xulrunner/plugins
> /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins
>
> Some of these are links to other ones, some are empty.
>
> Most contain symlinks to various things in /etc/alternatives which
> then link to actual plugins for media players, java, etc.
>
> Why so many? Wouldn't a single linked or union directory be easier, or
> am I missing something important?

This allows to have specific plugins for a given version of Firefox,
plugins for any Mozilla or XULRunner based software, ... Also some
third-party software ma expect to be installed in some of this
directories for historic reasons.

The alternatives system is there to manage different packages providing
the same functionality, see man update-alternatives

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/pdfrecycle/>

Liam Proven 12-09-2009 06:41 PM

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 4:30 AM, Florian Diesch <diesch@spamfence.net> wrote:
> Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I seem to find, on 9.04 or 9.10, that there are separate directories for:
>>
>> /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
>> /usr/lib/firefox-[version]/plugins
>> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
>> /usr/lib/xulrunner/plugins
>> /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins
>>
>> Some of these are links to other ones, some are empty.
>>
>> Most contain symlinks to various things in /etc/alternatives which
>> then link to actual plugins for media players, java, etc.
>>
>> Why so many? Wouldn't a single linked or union directory be easier, or
>> am I missing something important?
>
> This allows to have specific plugins for a given version of Firefox,
> plugins for any Mozilla or XULRunner based software, ... *Also some
> third-party software ma expect to be installed in some of this
> directories for historic reasons.
>
> The alternatives system is there to manage different packages providing
> the same functionality, see man update-alternatives

Good point, I guess. I am not sure why this would be necessary but I
guess it might be for someone.

Thanks!

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508