Old 12-01-2009, 12:42 PM
R Kimber

Default Printing to a file

Is it possible to set up a printer so that it just prints to a file, and not
to a physical printer?

I have an HP DeskjetF4280, which works fine, but I can't see any options in
the normal printer setup process to create a printer that just prints to a
file.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 12-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Avi Greenbury

R Kimber wrote:

> Is it possible to set up a printer so that it just prints to a file,
> and not to a physical printer?
>
> I have an HP DeskjetF4280, which works fine, but I can't see any
> options in the normal printer setup process to create a printer that
> just prints to a file.

From where? And to what? Do you want to print to a PDF, an image, an
office document of some sort?

A common means of printing is to write to the 'file' that is the
printer, and many applications provide a means of saving what you'd
otherwise print. It's often simpler to save to a less desirable
filetype and then convert it to the format you want than to create a
printer for it, since there isn't really any printing involved.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 12-01-2009, 12:57 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

R Kimber wrote:
> Is it possible to set up a printer so that it just prints to a file, and not
> to a physical printer?
>
> I have an HP DeskjetF4280, which works fine, but I can't see any options in
> the normal printer setup process to create a printer that just prints to a
> file.
>
> - Richard.

No. Your printer wants only to get the data to print a page.
Now my Ubuntu when I tell it to print something will ask me if
I want to print to a file. I don't do that much. Why do you
want to do it?

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Sascha Effert

Am Dienstag, den 01.12.2009, 13:42 +0000 schrieb R Kimber:
> Is it possible to set up a printer so that it just prints to a file, and not
> to a physical printer?
>
> I have an HP DeskjetF4280, which works fine, but I can't see any options in
> the normal printer setup process to create a printer that just prints to a
> file.
>
> - Richard.
> --
> Richard Kimber
> Political Science Resources
> http://www.PoliticsResources.net/

If you hit the print button in your application you should should be
able to choose between different printer, one is called "print to file"
or something similiar (do not know exactly, here it is in german). You
do not have to set up a printer manually for that.

bests

Sascha

Old 12-01-2009, 09:51 PM
R Kimber

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:58:59 +0100
Sascha Effert wrote:

> If you hit the print button in your application you should should be
> able to choose between different printer, one is called "print to file"
> or something similiar (do not know exactly, here it is in german). You
> do not have to set up a printer manually for that.

But that's my problem, there doesn't seem to be any such option.

I'm less concerned about the format of the printed file, as I can probably
convert it to another format once it is on disk. The problem arose when I
tried to print from a webpage in Firefox. The default printer doesn't
allow printing to a file, and nor does the setup process for a second
printer.

- Richard.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:58 PM
John Abbott

Sascha Effert wrote:

> If you hit the print button in your application you should should be
> able to choose between different printer, one is called "print to file"
> or something similiar (do not know exactly, here it is in german). You
> do not have to set up a printer manually for that.

But that's my problem, there doesn't seem to be any such option.

I'm less concerned about the format of the printed file, as I can probably
convert it to another format once it is on disk. The problem arose when I
tried to print from a webpage in Firefox. The default printer doesn't
allow printing to a file, and nor does the setup process for a second
printer.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources
http://www.PoliticsResources.net/

You should be able to enter* <Ctl-P> from the web browser and evoke the print wizard.* You can select the format from there.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Werner Schram

R Kimber wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:58:59 +0100
> Sascha Effert wrote:
>

>> If you hit the print button in your application you should should be
>> able to choose between different printer, one is called "print to file"
>> or something similiar (do not know exactly, here it is in german). You
>> do not have to set up a printer manually for that.
>>

> But that's my problem, there doesn't seem to be any such option.
>
> I'm less concerned about the format of the printed file, as I can probably
> convert it to another format once it is on disk. The problem arose when I
> tried to print from a webpage in Firefox. The default printer doesn't
> allow printing to a file, and nor does the setup process for a second
> printer.
>
> - Richard.

That is strange, it should be there as far as I know. Is this option
also missing in gedit?

Anyway, an alternative is to install the cups-pdf package. After
installing this package, you can add a pdf printer.

Werner

Old 12-02-2009, 03:19 AM
Florian Diesch

R Kimber <richardkimber@btinternet.com> writes:

> On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:58:59 +0100
> Sascha Effert wrote:
>
>> If you hit the print button in your application you should should be
>> able to choose between different printer, one is called "print to file"
>> or something similiar (do not know exactly, here it is in german). You
>> do not have to set up a printer manually for that.
>
> But that's my problem, there doesn't seem to be any such option.
>
> I'm less concerned about the format of the printed file, as I can probably
> convert it to another format once it is on disk. The problem arose when I
> tried to print from a webpage in Firefox. The default printer doesn't
> allow printing to a file, and nor does the setup process for a second
> printer.

I have a "print to file" printer with creating a CUPS printer for it.

That's the printing dialog in Firefox:
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/tmp/firefox-printing.png>

(Ubuntu 9.10, Gnome)

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/pdfrecycle/>

Old 12-02-2009, 02:27 PM
R Kimber

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 16:58:18 -0600
John Abbott wrote:

> You should be able to enter <Ctl-P> from the web browser and evoke the

Yes, but there isn't an option to print to file there.

- Richard

Old 12-02-2009, 02:34 PM
R Kimber

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 00:09:33 +0100
Werner Schram wrote:

> That is strange, it should be there as far as I know. Is this option
> also missing in gedit?

Yes.

> Anyway, an alternative is to install the cups-pdf package. After
> installing this package, you can add a pdf printer.

Ah. Thanks. That is the (an) answer. I installed that and then was able to
set up a PDF printer.

The only disadvantage is that when I want to use it from Firefox it won't
work unless is has been made the default printer. If my normal printer is
the default and I choose the PDF printer to print I get printed output on
the printer anyway. Perhaps this is a Firefox bug.

Many thanks,
- Richard.