Old 12-01-2009, 07:01 AM
helmut niko

Default problem with samba in Ubuntu 9.1

I am running Ubuntu 9.1 as a guest system using VMware Fusion on an
Intel iMac. Everything seems to work except when I press the network
button in the places menu. It leads me through network name, pressing
that one it leads me to the workgroup name, however pressing that one it
gives me the message failed to mount shares.

For those knowledgeable with VMware Fusion, I am using the NAT option
meaning that the guest system is sharing the network adaptor of the Mac.

Grateful for any ideas.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Avi Greenbury

helmut niko wrote:

> I am running Ubuntu 9.1 as a guest system using VMware Fusion on an
> Intel iMac. Everything seems to work except when I press the network
> button in the places menu. It leads me through network name, pressing
> that one it leads me to the workgroup name, however pressing that one
> it gives me the message failed to mount shares.
>
> For those knowledgeable with VMware Fusion, I am using the NAT option
> meaning that the guest system is sharing the network adaptor of the
> Mac.

The NAT option traditionally means that the host (VMWare here) provides
a NAT interface for the 'local' network of VMs so they can connect to
your LAN in the same way as the LAN connects to the internet.

Anyway, what is the address of the SMB server you're trying to connect
to, and can you ping it? Does OSX connect to it fine?

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 12-01-2009, 07:09 PM
helmut niko

Hi Avi,

I can ping to the SMB server and I can ping to the OSX machine ok, however, whenever in the network browser of the Ubuntu guest double clicking the icon windows network, it says share cannot be mounted.

Regards