Old 12-01-2009, 02:58 AM
Andrew Kane

Default Does anyone here use coreboot?

My motherboard is an Asus A8N-SLI with an Athlon X2 64 proc. I have
8GB RAM installed, but the kernel can only use about 3.2GB. I have
solved this problem by tweaking BIOS settings, but at the expense of
having both my (built in) network adapters stop working.

I've been considering using coreboot and nuking the BIOS. I would, of
course, ensure that I have the ability to re-flash the manufacturer's
BIOS image before I attempt this.

I'm just writing to see if anyone here has attempted to use coreboot
on a regular desktop system before, and to solicit the advice of wiser
heads.

Thanks to you all for general awesomeness.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:07 AM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

Are you considering doing this... just for the technical joy? Or do you
have a specific need to go to non proprietary BIOS? As far as I know,
the A8N32-SLI works fine... your limitation of 3.2GB RAM is due to a 32
bit OS...

You should access the 8GB with a 64 bit Ubuntu. It's not a BIOS issue.

Gilles.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Andrew Kane

Nope, I have been using an amd64 kernel since I got this machine. As
mentioned, I have been able to access all 4 GB (not 8, sorry about
that) by altering BIOS settings, but with undesirable consequences.
I might try flashing the manufacturer's BIOS to the chip first, in
case the present one is somehow corrupted (it is the newest available
version) but I think coreboot might be a better fit for me. I am not
sure whether the BIOS is able to confuse the kernel at boot time, but
if so that could account for some bizarre and intermittent issues I've
been experiencing. Or not.
In any case, I don't intend to perform any non-recoverable actions.