-   -   Terminal bash command history file (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/288483-terminal-bash-command-history-file.html)

Ray Parrish 12-01-2009 12:23 AM

Terminal bash command history file

Hello,

I would like to inspect my bash command history, and I'm assuming
Terminal keeps it in a file somewhere. Does anyone know the name, and
location of that file?

Also, can someone tell me how to increase the size of the bash history?
I think I remember reading something about that once, but can not find
where I read it to refresh my memory.

Thanks, Ray Parrish

--
The Future of Technology.
http://www.rayslinks.com/The%20Future%20of%20Technology.html

Andrew Kane 12-01-2009 12:40 AM

Terminal bash command history file

the file is ~.bash_history

many configuration options and comments exist in ~.bashrc

for example:
"# for setting history length see HISTSIZE and HISTFILESIZE in bash(1)"

Hal Burgiss 12-01-2009 12:41 AM

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 05:23:45PM -0800, Ray Parrish wrote:
> I would like to inspect my bash command history, and I'm assuming
> Terminal keeps it in a file somewhere. Does anyone know the name, and
> location of that file?

Default is: ~/.bash_history

--
Hal

Ray Parrish 12-01-2009 01:44 AM

Andrew Kane wrote:
> the file is ~.bash_history
>
> many configuration options and comments exist in ~.bashrc
>
> for example:
> "# for setting history length see HISTSIZE and HISTFILESIZE in bash(1)"
>
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to inspect my bash command history, and I'm assuming
>> Terminal keeps it in a file somewhere. Does anyone know the name, and
>> location of that file?
>>
>> Also, can someone tell me how to increase the size of the bash history?
>> I think I remember reading something about that once, but can not find
>> where I read it to refresh my memory.
>>
>> Thanks, Ray Parrish

Hello,

Thanks for the help, I had already found the bash history file by the
time I saw this reply, but thanks for the information on changing the
history size.

Later, Ray Parrish