Old 11-30-2009, 11:28 PM
John Graddy

Default Ebook Readers

I am considering getting an ebook reader. I have noticed that nearly
all of them advertise themselves as being "compatible with PC and Mac".
The software that I have found for downloading public domain books is
also "PC version" and "Mac Version".

Does anyone download books to an Ubuntu system and then load them onto
an ebook reader? Is any particular ebook reader reccommended? I would
hate to fork over more than $200 for one and then find out that I
couldn't use it.

Thanks,
John

Old 12-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Cameron Hutchison

John Graddy <jwgraddy@valornet.com> writes:

>Does anyone download books to an Ubuntu system and then load them onto
>an ebook reader? Is any particular ebook reader reccommended? I would
>hate to fork over more than $200 for one and then find out that I
>couldn't use it.

I am successfully using as Astak EZReader (theezreader.com, astak.com)
with Debian. The device plugs into the USB port and appears as a storage
device that you can just copy your ebooks to. You can also use an SD
card.

I haven't loaded any DRM ebooks. That's where you may run into problems
being non-windows/mac. But loading books from project Gutenberg works
fine.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Tab Gilbert

I am successfully using as Astak EZReader (theezreader.com, astak.com)

with Debian.

The flash intro on theezreader.com, made Firefox go crazy and I had to have a controlled crash.* Just seemed funny since the ezreader uses Linux and I am using Ubuntu.* The only thing stopping us was mean old Flash.* The astak site worked fine.* Good information.* thanks.

tab

Old 12-01-2009, 03:57 AM
Avi Schwartz

John Graddy wrote:
> I am considering getting an ebook reader. I have noticed that nearly
> all of them advertise themselves as being "compatible with PC and Mac".
> The software that I have found for downloading public domain books is
> also "PC version" and "Mac Version".
>
> Does anyone download books to an Ubuntu system and then load them onto
> an ebook reader? Is any particular ebook reader reccommended? I would
> hate to fork over more than $200 for one and then find out that I
> couldn't use it.
>
> Thanks,
> John

I am using an eBook management program called Calibre
(http://calibre-ebook.com) with my Kindle. The program sync to quite a
few eBook readers so it probably is a good starting point to decide
which device to consider. From the Calibre web site:

"At the moment calibre has full support for the SONY PRS
300/500/505/600/700, Cybook Gen 3/Opus, Amazon Kindle 1/2/DX, Netronix
EB600, Ectaco Jetbook, BeBook/BeBook Mini, Irex Illiad/DR1000, Foxit
eSlick, PocketBook 360, Android phones and the iPhone. In addition,
using the *Save to disk* function you can use it with any ebook reader
that exports itself as a USB disk."

Avi

Old 12-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Cameron Hutchison

Tab Gilbert <tabbox@gmail.com> writes:

>The flash intro on theezreader.com, made Firefox go crazy and I had to have
>a controlled crash. Just seemed funny since the ezreader uses Linux and I
>am using Ubuntu. The only thing stopping us was mean old Flash. The astak
>site worked fine. Good information. thanks.

http://theezreader.com/html/

They dont have a similar url for the astak site, but you can get around
that one ok usually (as you found out).

Old 12-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

>The flash intro on theezreader.com, made Firefox go crazy and I had to have
>a controlled crash.* Just seemed funny since the ezreader uses Linux and I
>am using Ubuntu.* The only thing stopping us was mean old Flash.* The astak
>site worked fine.* Good information.* thanks.

http://theezreader.com/html/

Video on the above url worked fine for me but no sound.-* Have fixed my sound on Karmic 64 bit kubuntu-desktop for at least half a dozen times but it wont stay fixed