Old 11-30-2009, 10:41 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

Default Ubuntu 9.10 locking up regularly after upgrade (Was I am using Ubuntu 9.10 version - facing problem with my system)

On Mon, November 30, 2009 23:34, Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 09:50 +0530, Electrotek_Chennai wrote:
> [snip]
>> From that day onwards, my system gets struck while working. I will
>> have to restart the system to work again. This happens nearly 20
>> times a day.
>
> Is it the whole system that is hanging, or just the GUI? You can check
> this the next time it hangs by hitting ctrl+alt+F1 (any key from F1 to
> F6 should work, but for ease of communication and all...). If you get to
> a text terminal then your computer is not freezing, rather the GUI is
> locking up. Once it is determined which is actually happening, we can
> focus on the right area.

*snip*

Sorry for jumping in, but my other computer also locks up a couple of
times per week (or even per day). X freezes, no response from Ctrl+Alt+Fn,
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (yes I enabled it), Ctrl+Alt+Del, SysRq combo's,...
Pinging the machine doesn't work either, and all ssh sessions that were
open get cut off.

Could such a thing be caused by a hardware problem? I already eliminated
power supply, cooling, memory and hard disk as possible causes.

--
Amedee

Old 11-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Asif Iqbal

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Andrew Farris <flyindragon1@aol.com> wrote:

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 09:50 +0530, Electrotek_Chennai wrote:

[snip]

> *From that day onwards, my system gets struck while working. *I will

> have to restart the system to work again. *This happens nearly 20

> times a day.

same here. I upgrade my server to 9.10 karmic and ever since then it stops responding after few mins of restart.

the server became useless. i am getting ready to reinstall 9.04

*

Is it the whole system that is hanging, or just the GUI? You can check

this the next time it hangs by hitting ctrl+alt+F1 (any key from F1 to

F6 should work, but for ease of communication and all...). If you get to

a text terminal then your computer is not freezing, rather the GUI is

locking up. Once it is determined which is actually happening, we can

focus on the right area.

Another thing you can try is re-enabling the 'zap X' key combo so that

if it turns out the GUI is all that is freezing, you can just kill the

GUI w/o restarting the whole computer. The key combination is hard-bound

to "Ctrl+alt+Backspace", so if you need this key combination for

something else, don't follow the directions below. otherwise... To do

this:

* * 1. Go to: System > Preferences > Keyboard | Layouts Tab > Layout

* * 2. Click the arrow next to "Key sequence to kill the X server" and

* * * *click the checkbox next to "Control + Alt + Backspace". Be aware

* * * *that from now on, if you press that key combination, your GUI

* * * *will shut down, and you will return to the login screen.

> I have called up my computer technical support person

> and he has checked the system thoroughly. *We are unable to find out

> what exactly could be the problem. *When I was using Ubuntu 8.04

> version, my system did not hang. But now, my system is being restarted

> nearly 20 times a day.

Can you give a brief overview of what you went over with your tech

support person? This might help shed some light on what's working, and

what isn't.

Hope that helps!

--

Andrew

_____________________________

Registered Linux User: 473690

Registered Ubuntu User: 22747

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 12-01-2009, 02:12 AM
Andrew Farris

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 00:41 +0100, Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
[snip]
> Sorry for jumping in, but my other computer also locks up a couple of
> times per week (or even per day). X freezes, no response from Ctrl+Alt+Fn,
> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (yes I enabled it), Ctrl+Alt+Del, SysRq combo's,...
> Pinging the machine doesn't work either, and all ssh sessions that were
> open get cut off.
>
> Could such a thing be caused by a hardware problem? I already eliminated
> power supply, cooling, memory and hard disk as possible causes.

It's definitely possible... though considering the volume of complaints
I've seen about this issue in karmic, i'd think it's more likely a
driver issue of some sort (due to other 'popular' driver issues with
karmic *cough* nVidia! *cough*)

unfortunately a hardware-fail-induced lockup is a little hard to
diagnose most times... it could literally be just about anything...just
a sample that come to mind (I've seen all of these before at least
once):
* Failing RAM (check with a memtest86+ test)
* Failing hard drive (mostly proven/disproven with
palimpsest/vendor tools)
* Bad hard-drive cables (check with a cable swap)
* cables not fully plugged in (check by pressing them all in)
* Other generic hardware failure (i.e. dying floppy drive/CD
drive, PCI cards etc... fix by removing everything, then 1 by 1
add back)
* failing CPU (diagnose with POST card... other symptoms also
present)
* Corrupted BIOS/CMOS (reset by pulling the battery or with
onboard jumper)
* general power issues
* Failing Computer Power supply (check with a swap or a
PSU tester)
* Inadequate power supply (check with a swap, or by
calculating your power requirements)
* failing power cable (check by swap)
* Failing power strip (check by plugging into the wall)
* faulty power socket (try a different socket)
* general building wiring issues (take to a different
building)
* building power supply issues, (i.e. grid issues...
usually for people very near to power
plants/distribution stations)

But, like i said earlier...its likely a driver issue. I know these
things are probably in the system log, or kernel log, someplace, but i
have yet to determine where, as I have no freezing computer to test on.

--
Andrew

Old 12-01-2009, 09:08 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Tue, December 1, 2009 01:06, Steve wrote:

> Could be, I??ve seen the ribbon cables to IDE disks cause lock ups.
> I??d
> moved everything but the Mobo and cables to another machine to test, so
> was about to blame the Mobo until I tried the cables as well.

I have SATA drives, and I removed the DVD drives (+cables) during testing.
So you can rule out IDE cables.

> As several people are suffering this could it be the same/similar
> hardware. Perhaps if everybody, who suffers this problem, could list
> their MOBO, CPU, Video card, etc. a common factor might appear.

Perhaps later this week.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:19 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Tue, December 1, 2009 04:12, Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 00:41 +0100, Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
> [snip]
>> Sorry for jumping in, but my other computer also locks up a couple of
>> times per week (or even per day). X freezes, no response from
>> Ctrl+Alt+Fn,
>> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (yes I enabled it), Ctrl+Alt+Del, SysRq combo's,...
>> Pinging the machine doesn't work either, and all ssh sessions that were
>> open get cut off.
>>
>> Could such a thing be caused by a hardware problem? I already eliminated
>> power supply, cooling, memory and hard disk as possible causes.
>
> It's definitely possible... though considering the volume of complaints
> I've seen about this issue in karmic, i'd think it's more likely a
> driver issue of some sort (due to other 'popular' driver issues with
> karmic *cough* nVidia! *cough*)

Indeed it has an nVidia card, how did you guess? ;-)

> unfortunately a hardware-fail-induced lockup is a little hard to
> diagnose most times... it could literally be just about anything...just
> a sample that come to mind (I've seen all of these before at least
> once):
> * Failing RAM (check with a memtest86+ test)
tested, OK
> * Failing hard drive (mostly proven/disproven with
> palimpsest/vendor tools)
tested, OK
> * Bad hard-drive cables (check with a cable swap)
tested, OK
> * cables not fully plugged in (check by pressing them all in)
tested, OK
> * Other generic hardware failure (i.e. dying floppy drive/CD
> drive, PCI cards etc... fix by removing everything, then 1 by 1
> add back)
tested, OK
> * failing CPU (diagnose with POST card... other symptoms also
> present)
not tested, I don't have a POST card (will put it on my wish list)
> * Corrupted BIOS/CMOS (reset by pulling the battery or with
> onboard jumper)
tested, OK
> * general power issues
> * Failing Computer Power supply (check with a swap or a
> PSU tester)
tested, OK
> * Inadequate power supply (check with a swap, or by
> calculating your power requirements)
tested, OK
> * failing power cable (check by swap)
tested, OK
> * Failing power strip (check by plugging into the wall)
tested, OK
> * faulty power socket (try a different socket)
tested, OK
> * general building wiring issues (take to a different
> building)
tested - building has two circuits, old and new.
> * building power supply issues, (i.e. grid issues...
> usually for people very near to power
> plants/distribution stations)
not applicable, nearest nuclear power plant is ~20km away. Nearest power
distribution station is ~5km.

> But, like i said earlier...its likely a driver issue. I know these
> things are probably in the system log, or kernel log, someplace, but i
> have yet to determine where, as I have no freezing computer to test on.

Nothing in the logs.

Perhaps interesting to know, that machine dual boots with Windows, and
there I have the same lockups. I don't boot to Windows a lot, so I hadn't
noticed yet.

--
Amedee

Old 12-01-2009, 08:37 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Tue, December 1, 2009 18:36, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/01/2009 02:08 AM, Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
>> On Tue, December 1, 2009 01:06, Steve wrote:
>>
>>> Could be, Iâ??ve seen the ribbon cables to IDE disks cause lock
>>> ups.
>>> Iâ??d
>>> moved everything but the Mobo and cables to another machine to test, so
>>> was about to blame the Mobo until I tried the cables as well.
>>
>> I have SATA drives, and I removed the DVD drives (+cables) during
>> testing.
>> So you can rule out IDE cables.
>>
>>> As several people are suffering this could it be the same/similar
>>> hardware. Perhaps if everybody, who suffers this problem, could list
>>> their MOBO, CPU, Video card, etc. a common factor might appear.
>>
>> Perhaps later this week.
>>

> I't's quite easy:
>
> $ sudo lshw > mysystem.txt
>
> mysystem.txt will be a file with all of your hardware info. You can then
> open in gedit and cut & paste the necessary bits here (please don't post
> the entire file here).

1. Home -> work = 30km
2. puter isn't plugged in, and I don't even know where the mrs has put the
monitor, the keyboard and the mouse. OK I don't *need* those, computer +
power cable + network cable is enough to use ssh, but still...

--
Amedee

Old 12-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Andrew Farris

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 11:19 +0100, Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
[snip]
> Perhaps interesting to know, that machine dual boots with Windows, and
> there I have the same lockups. I don't boot to Windows a lot, so I hadn't
> noticed yet.

My guess then, if the lockups are cross platform and everything else
checks out, that the motherboard is dying, or the CPU is dying. though
usually, a CPU death will be throwing off other symptoms such as drastic
system slowdowns, particularly when multitasking or doing something
intensive.

This may also be obvious, and you may have already checked it, but have
you looked around on the motherboard for obvious damage i.e. burn marks,
odd discolored-spots, bulging capacitors, etc? A while back the computer
at my parents' house was experiencing cross-platform random
lockups/crashes, and it turned out that the motherboard popped every
capacitor on the CPU's power circuit.

--
Andrew

Old 12-01-2009, 09:40 PM
John Abbott

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 16:25 -0600, Andrew Farris wrote:

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 11:19 +0100, Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
[snip]
> Perhaps interesting to know, that machine dual boots with Windows, and
> there I have the same lockups. I don't boot to Windows a lot, so I hadn't
> noticed yet.

My guess then, if the lockups are cross platform and everything else
checks out, that the motherboard is dying, or the CPU is dying. though
usually, a CPU death will be throwing off other symptoms such as drastic
system slowdowns, particularly when multitasking or doing something
intensive.

I helped repair one of these a couple of weeks ago.* The CPU fan wasn't doing its job. We cleaned the unit (dust bunnies looked like dust apes) and replaced the CPU fan and it hasn't happened again.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:08 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Tue, December 1, 2009 23:40, John Abbott wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 16:25 -0600, Andrew Farris wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 11:19 +0100, Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
>> [snip]
>> > Perhaps interesting to know, that machine dual boots with Windows, and
>> > there I have the same lockups. I don't boot to Windows a lot, so I
>> hadn't
>> > noticed yet.
>>
>> My guess then, if the lockups are cross platform and everything else
>> checks out, that the motherboard is dying, or the CPU is dying. though
>> usually, a CPU death will be throwing off other symptoms such as drastic
>> system slowdowns, particularly when multitasking or doing something
>> intensive.
>>

> I helped repair one of these a couple of weeks ago. The CPU fan wasn't
> doing its job. We cleaned the unit (dust bunnies looked like dust apes)
> and replaced the CPU fan and it hasn't happened again.

Andrew, John,

Thank you for the suggestions.
I'm a software guy, this is beyond me.
I think it is time for the computer repair shop.
Will let you know if they find anything.

--
Amedee