Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Andrew Farris

Default Ubuntu 9.10 locking up regularly after upgrade (Was I am using Ubuntu 9.10 version - facing problem with my system)

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 09:50 +0530, Electrotek_Chennai wrote:
[snip]
> From that day onwards, my system gets struck while working. I will
> have to restart the system to work again. This happens nearly 20
> times a day.

Is it the whole system that is hanging, or just the GUI? You can check
this the next time it hangs by hitting ctrl+alt+F1 (any key from F1 to
F6 should work, but for ease of communication and all...). If you get to
a text terminal then your computer is not freezing, rather the GUI is
locking up. Once it is determined which is actually happening, we can
focus on the right area.

Another thing you can try is re-enabling the 'zap X' key combo so that
if it turns out the GUI is all that is freezing, you can just kill the
GUI w/o restarting the whole computer. The key combination is hard-bound
to "Ctrl+alt+Backspace", so if you need this key combination for
something else, don't follow the directions below. otherwise... To do
this:
1. Go to: System > Preferences > Keyboard | Layouts Tab > Layout
2. Click the arrow next to "Key sequence to kill the X server" and
click the checkbox next to "Control + Alt + Backspace". Be aware
that from now on, if you press that key combination, your GUI
will shut down, and you will return to the login screen.

> I have called up my computer technical support person
> and he has checked the system thoroughly. We are unable to find out
> what exactly could be the problem. When I was using Ubuntu 8.04
> version, my system did not hang. But now, my system is being restarted
> nearly 20 times a day.

Can you give a brief overview of what you went over with your tech
support person? This might help shed some light on what's working, and
what isn't.

Hope that helps!

--
Andrew