-   -   Tiny Shuttle Computer case (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/288326-tiny-shuttle-computer-case.html)

Karl Larsen 11-30-2009 06:50 PM

Tiny Shuttle Computer case

At noon UPS delivered my Shuttle case and a 1 page
instruction sheet on a cd-rom. Had to print it out. The case
is about one half the size of my small computer that I like
and use.

The Shuttle cpu cooler is weird. There is just one large fan
for cooling. The Shuttle number is SA76G2 kit. I will put in
the AMD 140 Sempron cpu and see if things even run. I am sorry
that the mother board does not slide out of the Shuttle case.
It's a pain putting things on the MB!

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

"M. Milanuk" 11-30-2009 07:24 PM

Tiny Shuttle Computer case

Karl Larsen wrote:
> At noon UPS delivered my Shuttle case and a 1 page
> instruction sheet on a cd-rom. Had to print it out. The case
> is about one half the size of my small computer that I like
> and use.
>
> The Shuttle cpu cooler is weird. There is just one large fan
> for cooling. The Shuttle number is SA76G2 kit. I will put in
> the AMD 140 Sempron cpu and see if things even run. I am sorry
> that the mother board does not slide out of the Shuttle case.
> It's a pain putting things on the MB!
>
> 73 Karl

What all are you shoe-horning in there?

I've thought about getting one of those to put together as a small
gateway/firewall machine... my Buffalo Air Station does a pretty good
job as is, but the geek in me wants a dedicated machine that gives me a
little more control ;)

Monte

Colin Law 11-30-2009 07:31 PM

Tiny Shuttle Computer case

2009/11/30 Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com>:

> * * * *At noon UPS delivered my Shuttle case and a 1 page
> instruction sheet on a cd-rom. Had to print it out. The case
> is about one half the size of my small computer that I like
> and use.
>
> * * * *The Shuttle cpu cooler is weird. There is just one large fan
> for cooling. The Shuttle number is SA76G2 kit. I will put in
> the AMD 140 Sempron cpu and see if things even run. I am sorry
> that the mother board does not slide out of the Shuttle case.
> It's a pain putting things on the MB!

I am not clear what is your technical support question. Are you
asking for help with fitting the chip? Any offers of help with
inserting Karl's processor?

Colin

John Abbott 11-30-2009 07:38 PM

Tiny Shuttle Computer case

I've thought about getting one of those to put together as a small

gateway/firewall machine... my Buffalo Air Station does a pretty good

job as is, but the geek in me wants a dedicated machine that gives me a

little more control ;)

Monte

Monte,

***

*** I wonder if there is a Linux User that has seen the shuttle and not thought about a dedicated firewall/router/gateway.* I'm just not as adventurous as Karl.* I could have had one for what I paid for my TonidoPlug and PogoPlug2** Lazy has its penalties.

john

"Karl F. Larsen" 11-30-2009 08:02 PM

Tiny Shuttle Computer case

M. Milanuk wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>> At noon UPS delivered my Shuttle case and a 1 page
>> instruction sheet on a cd-rom. Had to print it out. The case
>> is about one half the size of my small computer that I like
>> and use.
>>
>> The Shuttle cpu cooler is weird. There is just one large fan
>> for cooling. The Shuttle number is SA76G2 kit. I will put in
>> the AMD 140 Sempron cpu and see if things even run. I am sorry
>> that the mother board does not slide out of the Shuttle case.
>> It's a pain putting things on the MB!
>>
>> 73 Karl
>>

> What all are you shoe-horning in there?
>
> I've thought about getting one of those to put together as a small
> gateway/firewall machine... my Buffalo Air Station does a pretty good
> job as is, but the geek in me wants a dedicated machine that gives me a
> little more control ;)
>
> Monte

Hi the things are a cpu, 2 RAM chips, a DVD/cd-rom drive, one
SATA and one IDE hard drive. It will all fit but boy that's
all you can put in!

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

"M. Milanuk" 11-30-2009 08:50 PM

Tiny Shuttle Computer case

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

>> What all are you shoe-horning in there?
>>
>> I've thought about getting one of those to put together as a small
>> gateway/firewall machine... my Buffalo Air Station does a pretty good
>> job as is, but the geek in me wants a dedicated machine that gives me a
>> little more control ;)

> Hi the things are a cpu, 2 RAM chips, a DVD/cd-rom drive, one
> SATA and one IDE hard drive. It will all fit but boy that's
> all you can put in!

So... are you running it as a light desktop, or as a mini-server, a
firewall or what?

I see from the pictures on newegg.com that it has one ethernet port
already built-in... and it looks like here should two slots for a
PCI/PCI-Express card, so another NIC could go there... I'm thinking in
terms of what all I'd need to turn it into a smokin' little
firewall/gateway/proxy. The specs mention RAID 0/1 for the SATA
controller. Any idea if thats 'real' hardware raid or just fake
(glorified soft) raid?

Avi Greenbury 12-01-2009 07:01 AM

Tiny Shuttle Computer case

Karl Larsen wrote:

> The Shuttle cpu cooler is weird. There is just one large fan
> for cooling.

It's also not overly effective (but it is quiet), we've used to get
shuttles from a supplier to run their kit, but they kept melting. I
know of several in 'normal' usage doing fine for a while (PSUs appear
to be their weakpoint, but they're not particularly worse than anyone
else), but these ones spent most of their lives at high load 24/7 and
just kept falling over.

We drilled a couple to take 2x50mm fans on the sides, which worked
wonders. But since space isn't really a premium, we use Dell desktops
instead now.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)

"Karl F. Larsen" 12-01-2009 11:36 AM

Tiny Shuttle Computer case

M. Milanuk wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>>> What all are you shoe-horning in there?
>>>
>>> I've thought about getting one of those to put together as a small
>>> gateway/firewall machine... my Buffalo Air Station does a pretty good
>>> job as is, but the geek in me wants a dedicated machine that gives me a
>>> little more control ;)
>
>> Hi the things are a cpu, 2 RAM chips, a DVD/cd-rom drive, one
>> SATA and one IDE hard drive. It will all fit but boy that's
>> all you can put in!
>>

> So... are you running it as a light desktop, or as a mini-server, a
> firewall or what?
>
> I see from the pictures on newegg.com that it has one ethernet port
> already built-in... and it looks like here should two slots for a
> PCI/PCI-Express card, so another NIC could go there... I'm thinking in
> terms of what all I'd need to turn it into a smokin' little
> firewall/gateway/proxy. The specs mention RAID 0/1 for the SATA
> controller. Any idea if thats 'real' hardware raid or just fake
> (glorified soft) raid?

The one page manual does not mention raid. I will look on the
bios and see if it talks hardware raid.

Need to know there is space for just two normal size hard
drives either IDE or SATA. It has two USB devices with 8 ports.

It has one PCI and one PCI-Express card slots.

To slow down your smokin' little computer is the CPU cooler
method. It doesn't allow a normal CPU cooler to be mounted. It
has a strange plate you tighten down on the cpu with some heat
transfer paste and the plate has 3 tubes that go to a heat
exchanger that is cooled by the air coming out of the
computer. A note on the cpu plug said not to use a cpu with
more than 150 watts of waste heat. I think your super cpu
might get too hot.

But for a computer that is for a 78 year old wife, who likes
to play Solitare and keep books on the family fortune it is a
cool system.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

"Karl F. Larsen" 12-01-2009 11:50 AM

Tiny Shuttle Computer case

Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>> The Shuttle cpu cooler is weird. There is just one large fan
>> for cooling.
>
> It's also not overly effective (but it is quiet), we've used to get
> shuttles from a supplier to run their kit, but they kept melting. I
> know of several in 'normal' usage doing fine for a while (PSUs appear
> to be their weakpoint, but they're not particularly worse than anyone
> else), but these ones spent most of their lives at high load 24/7 and
> just kept falling over.
>
> We drilled a couple to take 2x50mm fans on the sides, which worked
> wonders. But since space isn't really a premium, we use Dell desktops
> instead now.
>

> --
> Avi Greenbury
> http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)
> http://aviswebsite.co.uk/asking-questions

As you recall the cpu cooler is weird. And it states it can't
dissipate more than 150 watts of waste heat. I expect this
was the failure point.

We will see if this is a problem in normal use.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

sdavmor 12-01-2009 02:59 PM

Tiny Shuttle Computer case

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Avi Greenbury wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>> The Shuttle cpu cooler is weird. There is just one large fan
>>> for cooling.
>> It's also not overly effective (but it is quiet), we've used to
>> get shuttles from a supplier to run their kit, but they kept
>> melting. I know of several in 'normal' usage doing fine for a
>> while (PSUs appear to be their weakpoint, but they're not
>> particularly worse than anyone else), but these ones spent most
>> of their lives at high load 24/7 and just kept falling over.
>>
>> We drilled a couple to take 2x50mm fans on the sides, which
>> worked wonders. But since space isn't really a premium, we use
>> Dell desktops instead now.
>>
>> Avi Greenbury http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)
>> http://aviswebsite.co.uk/asking-questions
>
> As you recall the cpu cooler is weird. And it states it can't
> dissipate more than 150 watts of waste heat. I expect this was the
> failure point.
>
> We will see if this is a problem in normal use.
>
> 73 Karl

While I haven't used these Shuttle systems, a few years ago one
customer of mine was using similar compact systems for Linux servers
in their dry-cleaning stores. So the systems were up 7/24 though
after the nightly backup and other processes ran they went into
low-power mode. The point where they failed was in heat-dissipation of
the CPU fan and in the failure of the weak power-supplies. We
also drilled holes in the side of the cases to mount a fan. As Avi
said, that worked wonders and would be something I'd do again if I
were to put any Shuttle-like machines into situations where they'd be
running "hot".
Systems Theory music project: <www.systemstheory.net>
on GarageBand: <www.garageband.com/systemstheory>
on CDBaby: <www.cdbaby.com/all/systemstheory>