Old 12-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Avi Greenbury

Default Tiny Shuttle Computer case

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> Avi Greenbury wrote:
> As you recall the cpu cooler is weird. And it states it can't
> dissipate more than 150 watts of waste heat. I expect this
> was the failure point.

Well, part of it.

We also had two hdds in them, running most of the time, which is a
fantastic way to heat the inside of a PC case.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 12-01-2009, 03:17 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

sdavmor wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> Avi Greenbury wrote:
>>> It's also not overly effective (but it is quiet), we've used to
>>> get shuttles from a supplier to run their kit, but they kept
>>> melting. I know of several in 'normal' usage doing fine for a
>>> while (PSUs appear to be their weakpoint, but they're not
>>> particularly worse than anyone else), but these ones spent most
>>> of their lives at high load 24/7 and just kept falling over.
>>>
>>> We drilled a couple to take 2x50mm fans on the sides, which
>>> worked wonders. But since space isn't really a premium, we use
>>> Dell desktops instead now.
>>>
>>> Avi Greenbury http://aviswebsite.co.uk
>>> http://aviswebsite.co.uk/asking-questions
>> As you recall the cpu cooler is weird. And it states it can't
>> dissipate more than 150 watts of waste heat. I expect this was the
>> failure point.
>>
>> We will see if this is a problem in normal use.
>>
>> 73 Karl
>
> While I haven't used these Shuttle systems, a few years ago one
> customer of mine was using similar compact systems for Linux servers
> in their dry-cleaning stores.

Dry cleaner stores run Hot! They use a lot of bad for
computers liquid's that become a gas. I imagine ANY computer
would fail fast in a Dry Cleaners!

So the systems were up 7/24 though
> after the nightly backup and other processes ran they went into
> low-power mode. The point where they failed was in heat-dissipation of
> the CPU fan and in the failure of the weak power-supplies.

It has a 250 watt PS which is fine with a modest cpu. I have
checked my CPU heat and it is well within the Shuttle spec of
no more than 150 watts.

73 Karl

We

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-01-2009, 03:20 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> Avi Greenbury wrote:
>> As you recall the cpu cooler is weird. And it states it can't
>> dissipate more than 150 watts of waste heat. I expect this
>> was the failure point.
>>

> Well, part of it.
>
> We also had two hdds in them, running most of the time, which is a
> fantastic way to heat the inside of a PC case.
>

> --
> Avi Greenbury
> http://aviswebsite.co.uk
> http://aviswebsite.co.uk/asking-questions

I will have 2 hdd's for about 2 hours while I transfer my
Wife's windows to the new 650GB SATA drive. Then just the one
big 2/3 Terribyte job.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-01-2009, 03:34 PM
sdavmor

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> sdavmor wrote:
>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:

[snip]

>> While I haven't used these Shuttle systems, a few years ago one
>> customer of mine was using similar compact systems for Linux
>> servers in their dry-cleaning stores.
>
> Dry cleaner stores run Hot! They use a lot of bad for computers
> liquid's that become a gas. I imagine ANY computer would fail fast
> in a Dry Cleaners!

Even a very clean, "green" dry cleaner is an environment that is hard
on computer equipment. It's a constant battle to monitor hardware.

[snip]
Systems Theory music project: <www.systemstheory.net>
on GarageBand: <www.garageband.com/systemstheory>
on CDBaby: <www.cdbaby.com/all/systemstheory>
get our MP3s free at <www.mikedickson.org.uk/codetalkers>
NP: nowt

Old 12-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Leonard

sdavmor wrote:

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

sdavmor wrote:

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

[snip]

While I haven't used these Shuttle systems, a few years ago one
customer of mine was using similar compact systems for Linux
servers in their dry-cleaning stores.

Dry cleaner stores run Hot! They use a lot of bad for computers
liquid's that become a gas. I imagine ANY computer would fail fast
in a Dry Cleaners!

Even a very clean, "green" dry cleaner is an environment that is hard
on computer equipment. It's a constant battle to monitor hardware.

[snip]

I wouldn't assume they had the computer set up in the dry cleaning area
of the business.

Did you?

--
Leonard
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 12-01-2009, 05:36 PM
sdavmor

Leonard wrote:
> sdavmor wrote:
>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:

>> [snip]

>>> Dry cleaner stores run Hot! They use a lot of bad for computers
>>> liquid's that become a gas. I imagine ANY computer would fail
>>> fast in a Dry Cleaners!
>>>
>> Even a very clean, "green" dry cleaner is an environment that is
>> hard on computer equipment. It's a constant battle to monitor
>> hardware.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
> I wouldn't assume they had the computer set up in the dry cleaning
> area of the business. Did you?

It depends on the store and it depends on how complex their setup
needs to be. Some locations will have a Linux server in an a/c
office. Some may also have computers in other locations. i.e. on
the assembly bay, or near the back of the store for a use by the
driver of a pickup & delivery route van. Both of which would be
in proximity to cleaning and pressing equipment.

We generally pull equipment from stores after 2 years, unless it
is a customer for whom money is tight in which case they might
keep the iron in use longer than that.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Graham Todd

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 05:36:53 -0700
"Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1@gmail.com> uttered these words:

> Need to know there is space for just two normal size hard
> drives either IDE or SATA. It has two USB devices with 8 ports
[snipped]

I have two Shuttles, both running Karmic: one is a PCShuttle (and has a
fancy splash screen to that effect) and the other is a ShuttleX.

Both have a space underneath the disk drive in which you can get two
hard drives, one on top of the other. It is relatively simple to set
up, *but* there is a ribbon cable in both for an IDE drive, that has
only one connector, so in my set up I can have only one hard drive
connected at a time.

I was going to change the ribbon cable over, but with 250Gig drives in
both machines, it didn't seem worth it, nor adding a drive. One of the
Shuttles had the centre plate missing (where you would insert a card
reader or a floppy drive - just underneath the disk drive) and I
noticed it was less hot than the other, so I took the other centre
plate out. Not that they get very hot, just that there is more of a
confining space which feels warmer.

Each cost me in the region 40-50 through eBay, which is inexpensive
in the UK.

If you're thinking of getting one of the newer Shuttle models (as I am)
make sure there is a Shuttle dealer (relatively) near to you as he will
be able to fix the machine as you want *and* cover any problems under
warranty.

--
Graham Todd