Old 11-27-2009, 01:59 AM
Michael

Default Error When Running Ubuntu Update Manager

2009-11-27-1045 (2245gmt)

I just attempted running "Update Manager" to check for any updates to my
Ubuntu. I got the
following error notice:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure
-a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I did as indicated above -- "sudo dpkg" and entered my password. Below
is the results.

michael@michael-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for michael:
Setting up ttf-mscorefonts-installer (3.0) ...

These fonts were provided by Microsoft "in the interest of cross-
platform compatibility". This is no longer the case, but they are
still available from third parties.

You are free to download these fonts and use them for your own use,
but you may not redistribute them in modified form, including changes
to the file name or packaging format.

--2009-11-27 10:43:28--
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/corefonts/andale32.exe
Resolving downloads.sourceforge.net... failed: Connection timed out.
wget: unable to resolve host address `downloads.sourceforge.net'
--2009-11-27 10:43:38--
http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
Resolving switch.dl.sourceforge.net... failed: Connection timed out.
wget: unable to resolve host address `switch.dl.sourceforge.net'
--2009-11-27 10:43:48--
http://mesh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
Resolving mesh.dl.sourceforge.net... failed: Connection timed out.
wget: unable to resolve host address `mesh.dl.sourceforge.net'
--2009-11-27 10:43:58--
http://dfn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
Resolving dfn.dl.sourceforge.net... failed: Connection timed out.
wget: unable to resolve host address `dfn.dl.sourceforge.net'
--2009-11-27 10:44:08--
http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
Resolving heanet.dl.sourceforge.net... failed: Connection timed out.
wget: unable to resolve host address `heanet.dl.sourceforge.net'
--2009-11-27 10:44:18--
http://jaist.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
Resolving jaist.dl.sourceforge.net... failed: Connection timed out.
wget: unable to resolve host address `jaist.dl.sourceforge.net'
--2009-11-27 10:44:28--
http://nchc.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
Resolving nchc.dl.sourceforge.net... failed: Connection timed out.
wget: unable to resolve host address `nchc.dl.sourceforge.net'
--2009-11-27 10:44:38--
http://ufpr.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
Resolving ufpr.dl.sourceforge.net... failed: Connection timed out.
wget: unable to resolve host address `ufpr.dl.sourceforge.net'
--2009-11-27 10:44:48--
http://internode.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
Resolving internode.dl.sourceforge.net... failed: Connection timed out.
wget: unable to resolve host address `internode.dl.sourceforge.net'
--2009-11-27 10:44:58--
http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
Resolving voxel.dl.sourceforge.net... failed: Connection timed out.
wget: unable to resolve host address `voxel.dl.sourceforge.net'
--2009-11-27 10:45:08--
http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
Resolving kent.dl.sourceforge.net... failed: Connection timed out.
wget: unable to resolve host address `kent.dl.sourceforge.net'
--2009-11-27 10:45:18--
http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe
Resolving internap.dl.sourceforge.net... failed: Connection timed out.
wget: unable to resolve host address `internap.dl.sourceforge.net'
sha256sum: andale32.exe: No such file or directory
andale32.exe: FAILED open or read
sha256sum: WARNING: 1 of 1 listed file could not be read
Checksum mismatch for andale32.exe, aborting!
dpkg: error processing ttf-mscorefonts-installer (--configure):
ttf-mscorefonts-installer

I have been seeing this problem for some time now and it still has not
been resolved.

r,
Michael

Old 11-30-2009, 07:14 PM
NoOp

On 11/26/2009 06:59 PM, Michael wrote:

> 2009-11-27-1045 (2245gmt)
>
> I just attempted running "Update Manager" to check for any updates to my
> Ubuntu. I got the
> following error notice:
> ================================================== ===========
>
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure
> -a' to correct the problem.
> E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
>
> ================================================== ===========
>
> I did as indicated above -- "sudo dpkg" and entered my password. Below
> is the results.
>
> ================================================== ===========
>
> michael@michael-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
> [sudo] password for michael:
> Setting up ttf-mscorefonts-installer (3.0) ...
>
> These fonts were provided by Microsoft "in the interest of cross-
> platform compatibility". This is no longer the case, but they are
> still available from third parties.
>
> You are free to download these fonts and use them for your own use,
> but you may not redistribute them in modified form, including changes
> to the file name or packaging format.
>
> --2009-11-27 10:43:28--
> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/corefonts/andale32.exe
> Resolving downloads.sourceforge.net... failed: Connection timed out.
> wget: unable to resolve host address `downloads.sourceforge.net'
> --2009-11-27 10:43:38--
<snip>

> I have been seeing this problem for some time now and it still has not
> been resolved.

The first thing that you should do when you run into a problem like this
is to check:

1. http://packages.ubuntu.com and search for the package information.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/ttf-mscorefonts-installer

2. Then at the upper right side,
Ubuntu Resources:

* Bug Reports
Click on 'Bug Reports' and see if there is a report similar to your
problem. And it looks like there is:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/msttcorefonts/+bug/464422
[package ttf-mscorefonts-installer 3.0 failed to install/upgrade]

Have a look through that bug report to see if you can find a solution.
Alternatively, you can use ttf-liberation, or download from the location
that the ttf-mscorefonts-installer uses directly:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/corefonts/
(the latter not necessarily recommended).