-   -   Disable IPv6 in Ubuntu 9.10 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/288016-disable-ipv6-ubuntu-9-10-a.html)

Ryan Chan 11-30-2009 05:18 AM

Disable IPv6 in Ubuntu 9.10

It seems that appending "blacklist ipv6" in
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf never work.

Only method work is editing /boot/grub/menu.lst, adding ipv6.disable=1.

Anyone get the same experience?

John Abbott 11-30-2009 05:28 AM

Disable IPv6 in Ubuntu 9.10

It seems that appending "blacklist ipv6" in
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf never work.

Only method work is editing /boot/grub/menu.lst, adding ipv6.disable=1.

Anyone get the same experience?

Is this a trick quiz? there is no menu.lst to add anything to in Ubuntu 9.10

Nils Kassube 11-30-2009 06:20 AM

Disable IPv6 in Ubuntu 9.10

John Abbott wrote:
> Is this a trick quiz? there is no menu.lst to add anything to in
> Ubuntu 9.10

Yes, there is. You probably have directly installed 9.10 and therefore
got the new grub2 which doesn't have a menu.lst. However on my upgraded
machines I still have the old grub including its menu.lst.

Nils

John Abbott 12-01-2009 01:00 AM

Disable IPv6 in Ubuntu 9.10

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 08:20 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:

John Abbott wrote:
> Is this a trick quiz? there is no menu.lst to add anything to in
> Ubuntu 9.10

Yes, there is. You probably have directly installed 9.10 and therefore
got the new grub2 which doesn't have a menu.lst. However on my upgraded
machines I still have the old grub including its menu.lst.

Nils

Ah.. thanks for the correction Nils.* It never occurs to me that people would do an install any other way than the way I just did it :o))

Tom H 12-08-2009 04:46 PM

Disable IPv6 in Ubuntu 9.10

> It seems that appending "blacklist ipv6" in
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf never work.

> Only method work is editing /boot/grub/menu.lst, adding ipv6.disable=1.

> Anyone get the same experience?

Yes. I have forgotten when it started but there was a point where most
distribution compiled their kernels with "CONFIG_IPV6=y" so the sysctl
and modprobe methods of disabling ipv6 stopped working. From 2.6.30,
it has become possible to disable ipv6 without recompiling the kernel
with the 'ipv6.disable=1" menu.lst/grub.cfg kernel option.