-   -   Ubuntu 9.1 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/287932-ubuntu-9-1-a.html)

Sam Bell 11-29-2009 11:06 PM

Ubuntu 9.1

I cannot access the internet using 9.1 I can use ping 100%
any help appreciated al settings seem ok.eth0 is working
--
Samie Bell
Redcliffe Australia

Res 11-30-2009 02:27 AM

Ubuntu 9.1

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009, Sam Bell wrote:

> I cannot access the internet using 9.1 I can use ping 100%
> any help appreciated al settings seem ok.eth0 is working

DNS?
Check /etc/resolv.conf for nameservers
try traceroute 174.142.8.58 and see if it hits the Internet

also check default route, route -n

the line you want contains "UG" ... example:
0.0.0.0 10.10.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 1 0 0 eth0

How are you managing the netowrk, network manaber, wicd or did you hand
edit /etc/network/interfaces ?

If its a desktop, you might as well use the latter method

EG, /etc/network/interfaces :

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
address 10.10.0.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.10.0.1

auto eth0

--
Res

"What does Windows have that Linux doesn't?" - One hell of a lot of bugs!

Avi Greenbury 11-30-2009 08:18 AM

Ubuntu 9.1

Sam Bell wrote:

> I cannot access the internet using 9.1 I can use ping 100%
> any help appreciated al settings seem ok.eth0 is working

What are you pinging?
What are you using to 'access the internet' and what happens when it
doesn't work?

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)