Old 11-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Alan McKay

Default Server GUI (Was Mac look alike)

For server admin install Webmin.

Not sure why it is never included in any of the distros but it is easy
to install. Just google "download ubuntu webmin" and follow the
links. Install the .deb and then manage your server through a nice
web GUI. Pretty easy for the most part

Old 11-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Avi Greenbury

Alan McKay wrote:

> For server admin install Webmin.
>
> Not sure why it is never included in any of the distros but it is easy
> to install.

Because it does Bad Things to config files, and neatly creates another
surface for attack.

In general, Webmin's fine if that's the only way you intend to
configure anything. But if you want to also be able to configure things
by hand, you can't use webmin.

Last time I checked, there was a new ontender which was preferred over
Webmin, but I don't know what it was.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 11-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Chan Chung Hang Christopher

Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Alan McKay wrote:
>

>> For server admin install Webmin.
>>
>> Not sure why it is never included in any of the distros but it is easy
>> to install.
>>

> Because it does Bad Things to config files, and neatly creates another
> surface for attack.
>
> In general, Webmin's fine if that's the only way you intend to
> configure anything. But if you want to also be able to configure things
> by hand, you can't use webmin.
>
> Last time I checked, there was a new ontender which was preferred over
> Webmin, but I don't know what it was.

Whatever it was, it was broken according to webmin users because it
replaced webmin.

What might be a good idea is to come up with a 'standard' list of
components and configurations (see Ubuntu Domain Server thread on the
Ubuntu developers list) and then create some guis/commandline tools for
that standard. Now if someone could also port kiosktool over to KDE4 or
we get KDE 3.5.x again in Lucid....